advertisement

MDAC first listen (part XVII)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sebbyp

pfm Member
graphCompare.php
Hi sq,

where do you find those curves? could you add one more curve (green) on the same graph for denon d7000 and show it again? thanks.

I'm wondering: has anyone compared the sound on RCA vs XLR on the M-DAC?

I'm running on RCA, but thinking about adding a high quality XLR input to my power amp. Wondering if it is worth trying. The amp is of course not balanced.

I got quite a good boost going to balanced, I guess though the most impact will be had if your amps are truly balanced.

I got quite a good boost going to balanced, I guess though the most impact will be had if your amps are truly balanced.

Same here and my amp is fully balanced(though integrated), however with no XLR input apart from 'CD' so I have to use the preamp and amp stages.

Until my MIMP's arrive :eek::eek::eek::eek:

I use this filter for precisely the same reason as you: to try to calm down the almost unbearably bright violins. At first I thought it was my system that was too bright, but I get the same issue when I use headphones (Grado GS1000i). It's the only problem I have with the otherwise superb MDAC, and I'm hoping the much-mentioned and much-anticipated MPAX will improve things.

When I'm not listening to violin-heavy recordings, I revert to OT XD (with software A0.06).

If anyone has any recommendations how to ameliorate the situation before the MPAX reaches production (it is no longer so high on John's "forthcoming" list) , they would be gratefully received.

simonom,

Looking at the graphs posted, your headphones have a MASSIVE 10dB boost at HF - that's going to strip your ears out - no wonder you have an issue with violin-heavy music.

The MDAC is neutrally balanced - with headphones with a 10dB boost your going to need something to tame them... personally, I'd considered the headphones floored... sure they might have apparent detail - but that's what you would expect with a 10dB hump at HF...

John

Hi John!
My name is Stefan and are living in sweden. I have read about your new integrated amplifier MIMP with interrest. But I can't find any website of your company Lakewest. And therefore I hope that you can inform me where and when I can buy one of those new amplifier?

Hi Stefan,

The MIMP is still in the design stage, once I've completed the BDAC design I can continue with the MIMP Project.

We expect to be in production for March - April.

Once the production cycle has started, we can then spend time on the website - that said the website is being already worked upon - bit understand that at this time we don't have completed units for photo shoots or even final specifications... As soon as we have these then we will launch the website.

Thank you for you interest, and welcome to PFM :)

John

None of the 'Lakewest' products exist yet - including MIMP and MPAX- they haven't been deisgned yet. So there's nothing to show and nothing to buy

Edit: I should really have said that the designs haven't been completed yet. Block elements of the designs exist in other products and concepts, but as far as John has made anyone aware here, there are no complete 'Lakewest' designs

Well said - thanks Chris :)

Hi John,

Will you be at the Bristol show this yearwith the MIMP and MPAX..? I was looking at the list of exhibitors but I couldn see Lakewest.

Thanks

H

The plan was to bring the MIMP to the Bristol show for private viewing - news from China was not good to have chassis before the CNY shut-down, although we are pushing hard...

John

hluga,

:) thank you very much for the gift - made me smile as its malted very close to our family home on the Scottish Whisky trail....

I'll open it to celebrate the completion of the BDAC design - and complete the bottle once the MIMP PCB are issued :

Once again Thank you VERY much :)

John)

Thanks for your proposal John.
I'm located in France, not far from Paris.
I will check with the retailor if it's possible or not to remplace my Mdac and revert

Oh good luck, Hluga whose also based in France did not have much luck with having his unit serviced in France.

I you have no luck, then I'll service your unit as a last resort,

John

hluga,

:) thank you very much for the gift - made me smile as its malted very close to our family home on the Scottish Whisky trail....

I'll open it to celebrate the completion of the BDAC design - and complete the bottle once the MIMP PCB are issued :

John)

The Island of Islay is 'my' whisky trail with 12 distilleries on an island 20 miles by 20 miles.
How is anyone ever sober enough to make the stuff ?
Ardbeg, Lagavulin, Laphroaig, Bruichladdich, all hail from here :p

hluga,

John)
You're welcome. You offer post purchase service that is well beyond what anyone can expect....
I'm now convinced to wait for your upcoming amp (to check against my nait 3R) and TDAC !

with respect

Oh good luck, Hluga whose also based in France did not have much luck with having his unit serviced in France.

John

Yes it seems like if the distributor has disappeared for servicing units. My reseller stops to distribute any of its products as some 8200 CDQ cames back without servicing several months after having being sent.

Anyways my unit works as hell since it has came back from your hands ;)

br/

Whats the cost on the new creek integrated? John are you behind the amp as well as the digital?

Hi Sebbyp,

As we have taken over the responsibly of the Creek CD player / DAC which will be manufactured on our production line in China we also modified the Amplifier to better partner the matching CD/DAC.

To that end we redesigned the cosmetic ID, added the OLED display, Tuner Module + Remote control Bus, Software updates etc. We also redesigned the Pre Amplifier to allow a Direct Balance input to the power Amplifier stage.

We had no hand in the design of the power Amplifier itself.

If you want an amplifier optimised to be used with the MDAC - Id suggest waiting for the matching MIMP...

John

hluga,

John)

Your appreciation of Malt Whisky is duly noted...

MP sent
Yes it seems like if the distributor has disappeared for servicing units. My reseller stops to distribute any of its products as some 8200 CDQ cames back without servicing several months after having being sent.

Anyways my unit works as hell since it has came back from your hands ;)

br/

I'm still awaiting for my reseller's reply but afraid that it will take too long time to be repaired...
Since yesterday the screen runs well again; John what's about a bad contact ? :rolleyes:

John

Hi John,

would it be possible to include the option of running the coax out of the M-DAC/T-DAC at controlled volume, equivalent to the analog outs? I didn't find that on the M-DAC.

BTW - how's TDAC coming along?

All the best for you in 2013 - make for lake, east and west, north and south!
Achim

sebbyp and sq, thank you so much for your help with these amazingly useful curves (though not green for denon :p), also thank simonom for his sharing. I wonder my violin glare is at least partly due to my mdac is still new at the moment, or may be due to the furutech gt2 usb wire which tend to be strident in HF as I've encountered those comments in other forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back