advertisement

MDAC first listen (part XVII)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes the Mainboard upgrades can only be performed in Czech Rep. as we have to replace SMD components, carefully add Wiring modifications and test on an FFT analyser.
I've just been to Prague last summer, may need a visit to the country again this summer, this time with the mdac. :)

:) Always welcome, but better to fly direct to Bruno / Olomuc, about 300Km from Prague - direct flights to Bruno via Wizz Air (great service) and that horrid "your no better then self loading farm animals" airline...

John

Hi everyone,

This is my first post here and I have only quickly skimmed through all the previous mdac threads as they are rather large so I apologise in advance for asking these rather basic questions.

Essentially I want an mdac that's why I'm here, I've read about it in magazines and here and it sounds fantastic but I will likely only be using it via USB and mainly using the headphone out though an amp and speakers would be connected for rare occasions when I can turn the volume up a bit.

Reading these threads I think it's been mentioned a few new products might be on the way, for example a usb only dac that is very similar to the mdac (designed by John), is that the case or was it more just a thought in passing? If it is something that is due it happen will it be coming soon?

Lastly and this is a very subjective question I know, how good is the headphone out on the mdac, is anyone here using this often and how are you finding it?

Just for a bit of reference I don't currently have anything like an amazing setup compared to a lot of people on here I imagine, I do most of my music listening through an Arcam rdac/CD73 going into a Arcam A65 amp then out the headphone out on that.

Now I've decided I want to switch to a computer based setup using a mdac, it should generally sound better or equal to the above right? (I know there are a lot of variables in computer audio).

Thanks for reading, sorry if it was a bit of a ramble.

Just for a bit of reference I don't currently have anything like an amazing setup compared to a lot of people on here I imagine, I do most of my music listening through an Arcam rdac/CD73 going into a Arcam A65 amp then out the headphone out on that.

Now I've decided I want to switch to a computer based setup using a mdac, it should generally sound better or equal to the above right? (I know there are a lot of variables in computer audio).

There's no doubt that the M-DAC will give you vastly better sound than the RDAC, but will a computer rig sound better than your CD73? Maybe, maybe not. I spent a long time trying to get a Mac Mini to beat a Linn Ikemi, both into the M-DAC. I have managed to do this, but it wasn't trivial. The rips are all AIFF, the Mac has been partially gutted, it has SSD and an external power supply,see
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=108737.0
Also it runs the latest Audirvana+, independently of iTunes. Each one of these is important, at least on my setup, though I think the power supply made the biggest difference.

Some people do like to fiddle, I just plugged mine into my MB-Pro and hit play, no fussing with replacing parts, hard disc fancy wire, software players or anything like that. Open iTunes and press play and it works.

A very good CD (Music) for identify what I consider "FIR" Filter type "Distortions" is "The Wailin Jennys 40 days" this has well recorded stringed instruments and female vocals.

If you listen to the above CD's paying attention to the "resolution" of the Stringed instruments you can hear that the Optimal Transient filters clearly allow you to hear each string "vibrate" as the bow slides across them - while this "transient" type signal is smeared with the other filters. Once you start to recognise this effect it becomes obvious when listening to other filters.

I believe you can "train" your brain to identify a deficiency (distortion) in the replay process - and once "Trained" its very unforgiving...

Layered Female Vocals are also an area where the optimal transient filters excel... (The Wailin Jennys 40 days) being a very good disc.

You need a High resolution system - the speakers are very important here....

At IAG we used a pair of Monitor Audio speakers which where very good (normally I'm weary of metal dome tweeters)... Oddly, the Quad ESL's we tried where really poor (atleast the pairs we tried to use in China)... While the CLSII where like a magnifying glass...

John

WJ 40 days is due to arrive tomorrow via Amazon so I will have a play.

Some people do like to fiddle, I just plugged mine into my MB-Pro and hit play, no fussing with replacing parts, hard disc fancy wire, software players or anything like that. Open iTunes and press play and it works.

Audirvana+ isn't fancy, and worth a trial.

The Mainboard upgrades are extra - I'm thinking GBP199 without the MPAX, GBP 100 extra with the MPAX... Lets see what JTC and SQ think about the performance of the Mainboard upgrade without MPAX) - figures will be crossed here!...

And planned price for MPAX itself?

BTW: Do you think these are the final updates? Maybe not rush and take time to test different solutions, optimize and tune up everything to make sure the solution is "final"? :)

Oddly enough my MDAC is starting to play up regularly; more often than not now I can't get any sound out of it until I've switched it off and on and perhaps fiddled with different sources. Last night it took almost 5 minutes to get a sound out of it, despite it showing input signals at times. The speakers were silent (and, yes, they were turned on). Eventually got it to work. Most odd.

This happens with different sources and doesn't now appear to be related to the source selected - it wasn't playing on opt1 (tv), coax1 (cd) or USB (SBT) and I had a similar issue when the Mac Mini was connected on USB.

It seems to be getting worse; any ideas?

This sounds like the problem I have and discussed a few months ago, I'd be very interested to hear what John concludes after looking at this one. Mine behaves like yours often on switching on when running the A** series firmware. The only way to clear it has been to cycle it on/off until it boots up properly, and on a few occasions I thought it had gone out for good. (I had an additional problem of the music stopping with a loud crack on three occasions). It has always come back though and is behaving quite well just now. I got a definite improvement by rolling back to 0.96 but couldn't live without the A08 functionality and so went back to A08. The only thing that I have changed using A08 that seems to coinicide with the improvement is to switch the screen to the dimmed LakeWest screen, seems unlikely to be a factor though I would agree.

Tony.

(Looking forward to the MPAX option aswell ;) )

And planned price for MPAX itself?

BTW: Do you think these are the final updates? Maybe not rush and take time to test different solutions, optimize and tune up everything to make sure the solution is "final"? :)

That's a good question - lets see what JTC / SQ think of the performance of the Mainboard "only" upgrade.

While the MPAX adds extra features such as AV bypass, 12V triggers, soundwise it will be the icing on the cake.

John

John,
I've just met french ribbon speakers makers(http://www.diptyqueaudio.com/). Do you have an ETA on the MIMP as i can try it on their new model currently at prototyping phase ?
Anyways i'm waiting for it to compete with my nait3 over Apertura thema speakers.
BR/
P.S.: Not waiting for MPAX as very very very very satisfied with my sov mdac and waiting for TDAC....

What's the price of the TDAC, is it going to be a product of Lake.West and in another grade compared with mdac ?

Tdac will be a LakeWest product and is circa £2k, quite different from the Mdac in quality and aspiration one would expect. john was saying it would be limited volume, effectively hand made.

Lastly and this is a very subjective question I know, how good is the headphone out on the mdac, is anyone here using this often and how are you finding it?

I use the M-DAC headphone out only (waiting for MIMP amplifier), the headphones being AKG K-702 and AKG K-240 MKII. I also own Arcam rPAC (which I use with the K240 when being mobile).

Using the K240, there's certainly a step-up going from rPAC's own amplifier to MDAC. I've also tried various headphone amps, but I never got as good experience as with MDAC. Blind tested, I'm able to reliably identify both, even on such "lowend" headphones - either I simply learned how each DAC sounds or something else affects the quality (power, amplifier, ...).

Moving on to the K702, I can tell something more about the difference - when using an external headphone amp for the rPAC (it itself doesn't really have the power), the main advantage of MDAC was the ... "assertivity". Even on complex music, it always kept the sound "under control". If you're a fan of instruments blending together, then either don't get AKG K702 (or MDAC if you already have them).
I personally love the effect - when a recording is mastered well, one can point by hand where (in front of the stage) each of the 10 instruments is playing. This doesn't seem to happen with the rPAC.

The second killer feature of MDAC are the filters - I'd love to have them on rPAC and sometimes I really wish the MDAC was more portable. Want to enjoy a balanced music? Switch to Optimal Transient XD. Want to grasp every tiny detail? Switch to Optimal Spectrum.

On a more "spec" note, the headphone amp on the MDAC is class A, if I'm not mistaken.

That's a good question - lets see what JTC / SQ think of the performance of the Mainboard "only" upgrade.

While the MPAX adds extra features such as AV bypass, 12V triggers, soundwise it will be the icing on the cake.

John

So you expect the mainboard upgrade to have more influence than MPAX?

PS: I wouldn't just base on two opinions. I'm too long into audio to believe in objective first opinions on upgrades. People always "hear" much difference, even if they just change a powercord or even a fuse. As long they believe there can be a difference. So for me it's a 100% the first opinions would be tremendous even if the real change is very small if any.

I can't speak for JTC but I'm not exactly known for coming over all weak at the knees for a component swap. I've built and modded enough kit to know that changes are usually subtle at best, sometimes none existent.

My Soverign+ DC modded Mdac was a nice step change, we did a listening comparison using a stock MDac with stock PSU, Mdac with DC PSU and my fully modded one.. Each was a step improvement over the previous iteration. Not a huge leap but an improvement that we both liked.

As above, most 'giant leaps' are not.. They are subtle improvements, and sometimes just a change of coloration that suits the listener.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back