advertisement

MDAC first listen (part XVI)

Status
Not open for further replies.
John,

Just catch the (sovereigned) mdac and listening. The global sound seems more defined with a larger sound stage in spite of the fact that i'm at work and therefore not using my main headphones (senn 545 ref at work, shure 940 at home). Using optimal transcient XD filter.

Works perfectly on all outputs (checked on rega transport, lavardin -> elac at my reseller's)

Merci encore, i will made another report after burn in...

Br/

It begins.....

sura5ute.jpg

To be a member of the HDMI consortium you are require to pay a US$20,000 annual fee + US$10000 certification fee per device THEN royalties per unit.
Needless to say we will NOT be paying to be a member of this HDMI club.

DSD input via USB or natively embedded into SPDIF.

John

John,
Does that mean DSD support could be added to the MDAC's functionality, via the MTRN? That would be great, if so.

Hello,

On a positive note to my recent posts the M-DAC sounds bloody amazing, I'll defiantly be getting another replacement. This thing seems like a huge step up from my previous Asus Essence ST sound-card I'm enjoying the listening experience so so much, this weekend is going to be full of music :)

Cheers guys,

James P

P.S. Nice setup sam cat looks amazing, hope your enjoying your Friday evening as much as me

So, with my shure 940....
I'm laying on the floor waiting for tomorrow listening music and discovering a new paradise. I want to stay there for life (at last my iTunes collection is only 7 days long. too short ! (my mbpr says 2hrs remaining))
THANKS JOHN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S.: I can confirm that 10.8.2 solves the buffer problem with firmware <A.08

Right... Interesting evening..
Done as much as we can to set a level playing field, both on original firmware (.09), same volume, same filter, same amp, same cables etc.
For the comparison we were going three ways:
A: Soverign dc+ Mdac using external 5 dc rail regulated psu.
B: Standard Mdac with external 3 dc rail regulated psu
C: Standard mdac

Listened to a variety of tracks that we are familiar with, and in all instances there was a step improvement going from C to B, and a similar step between B and A (although perhaps not as large a step).

Listened to a number of hi Def (24/96) tracks and they made the differences even more evident.

I think anyone purchasing or making an external psu for a standard Mdac won't be disappointed.. And those of you with soverigned Mdacs are lucky people...
A veil was lifted, and the ink is blacker...

:)

Does 3 rail PSU works on standard sov units ?. Do you have some guidelines to build one ?
Listening now using my iem xba3 and sounds perfect, as expected sound quality modifies (up/down/up/../)during playing (burn in effect).

From shannon theory C=2W (without noise) where W is bandwidth and C max bitrate. If you add noise the formula could lead to the fact that you need more bandwidth

br/

From shannon theory C=2W (without noise) where W is bandwidth and C max bitrate. If you add noise the formula could lead to the fact that you need more bandwidth

br/

I assume we have to buy our own toslink cables and have to get the 30Mhz optical cable for the clock, how about the data - also need 30 Mhz?

Does 3 rail PSU works on standard sov units ?. Do you have some guidelines to build one ?
Listening now using my iem xba3 and sounds perfect, as expected sound quality modifies (up/down/up/../)during playing (burn in effect).

Thanks for the feedback - lets us know how it sounds once its settled down.

Hello,

On a positive note to my recent posts the M-DAC sounds bloody amazing, I'll defiantly be getting another replacement. This thing seems like a huge step up from my previous Asus Essence ST sound-card I'm enjoying the listening experience so so much, this weekend is going to be full of music :)

Cheers guys,

James P

P.S. Nice setup sam cat looks amazing, hope your enjoying your Friday evening as much as me

Hi James,

After all your troubles, atleast your happy with the sound :) - thank you for the feedback,

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back