advertisement

MDAC first listen (part XV)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Ian,

I didn't assume that the DAC would have/need input stages...?

KISS of course, but maybe in some later incarnation. The FPGA needs something to do...

Cheers,
Achim

I braved it and applied power.
John - exactly what number would you like the rails to be? Set to 15V atm.

Not tried playing music yet.. It's late, I am tired and it needs voltages double and triple checking under load. But I am pleased to see the Mdac spring to life, and no magic smoke escaped.

:)

y6u8y9e5.jpg

Hi Sam,

Sorry I've been away from the Computer - working on BDAC paper....

Use a Volt Meter to test the rail voltages - the MDAC's internal voltage reading is a little inaccurate once the diodes have been bypassed (the diode drop is compensated by the software).

With a Voltage Meter + / - 15 Volts DC input is good :)

I noted on your unit with A06/A06 software that sometimes you had to cycle the Digital filters on power-up otherwise you have no audio...

If the Voltages are correct then leave the MDAC to run-in... (Run in the new Caps),

Looking forward to your listening tests...

Just remember to insure that you have the same software / filters on both units during your listening season.. :)

John

Morning John and all, I turned on my M-DAC this morning and started to play via USB from my Audiolab 8000DT (same as I do pretty much every day) and was presented with the dreaded crackling coming from the left channel :eek:
I have never experienced this before and was quite alarmed as I had the wick turned up considerably from the day before, fresh underwear was very nearly required!
I immediately stopped playback and turned down the volume then tried playback again, the crackling was still present on every track I until I got to Kate Bush Hounds of Love Vinyl Rip, does the M-DAC like Kate or was it the fact that the rip was 24/96 that 'fixed' the issue? everything else played back fine afterwards :D

and Sam, your DC PSU looks fantastic I am a beautiful shade of green, enjoy!

Martin

Hi Martin,

What's your MDAC software version?

If its not the later A08/A08 then there's a very slight chance of the occasional left channel crackle- - in most cases it will be very rare indeed.

I'm on the very original A0.90 and have NEVER experienced the crackle - but then I only use 44.1KHz /16 (CD)...

John

Hi Martin,

What's your MDAC software version?

If its not the later A08/A08 then there's a very slight chance of the occasional left channel crackle- - in most cases it will be very rare indeed.

I'm on the very original A0.90 and have NEVER experienced the crackle - but then I only use 44.1KHz /16 (CD)...

John

Hey John, version 0.90 here too as I prefer the sound, the crackle happened on 16/44.1 material but switching to 24/96 cleared it, at least I know what to do if it happens in future :D

Martin

I know you're a busy man John but if you get the chance could you check my posts on page 44 of this thread, I had a faulty M-DAC unit the other week with the 'No Comms' messages and have just received a replacement unit which also seems to be faulty, this time the remote control doesn't seem to work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdPBUTFJ3yA

Any ideas on how I can fix this without having to send the unit back once again, or would you advise I make another RMA?

Kind Regards,

James P

Links to the posts:
http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showpost.php?p=1860791&postcount=646
http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showpost.php?p=1860867&postcount=653

John - Problems.. :-(
All rails on the diy psu are 15V (+/- 0.1v), and the minus ones are minus 15v, Mdac reports digital rail as 14.3v..
Sound coming out of right channel only and sounds weak/distorted. No sound from left channel unless volume turned up.
Have reflashed firmware update to original 0.9, no difference. Checked using headphones and get the same issues.
Any ideas?

Thanks,
Sam

John,

DAC has arrived to my reseller. As its night i cant go to catch it but tomorrow will be the day !!!!!!

Merci beaucoup, I'm starving to listen to good quality music again....

John - Problems.. :-(
All rails on the diy psu are 15V (+/- 0.1v), and the minus ones are minus 15v, Mdac reports digital rail as 14.3v..
Sound coming out of right channel only and sounds weak/distorted. No sound from left channel unless volume turned up.
Have reflashed firmware update to original 0.9, no difference. Checked using headphones and get the same issues.
Any ideas?

Thanks,
Sam

Best guess is that you have miss-wired the 9W Mini Din... which might also result in DC on the audio outputs...

Sam your DC input ONLY wiring is different to the earlier posted image - make sure you follow the wiring connection details below, they are based up on the colour coded wiring from the lead of your AC adaptor - apparently not all MiniDin leads follow the same colour codes.

I stress that the wiring colour code is based upon the cable removed from the "Standard" AC adaptor...

Cable Colour Code (based upon AC Adaptor cable) for Sams DC ONLY input modified MDAC:

Black (Do not Connect)

Ground (0V) Shield (via Black cable)
Ground (0V) Brown
Ground (0V) Red
Ground (0V) Yellow

Green +15V Digital

Orange Left +15V Analogue
Blue Left -15V Analogue

Violet Right +15V Analogue
White Right -15V Analogue

John

Okay, still having troubles and am sure its something I have done so just want to run through exactly what has been done.

I used the cable from my MDac psu, so no mini-din wiring needed.. As my mdac is DC modified it was of no use anymore. Followed exactly those colour codes (and double checked a moment ago).
Checked output from my regulators and they are now exactly +/- 15v as appropriate.
Black wire is not connected, taped off. No stray wires etc and all solder joints look good (got a good light and magnifying glass on them)

My only thought is the 0v connections.. I have 3 different 0v pads (due to the 5 seperate windings and 3 rectifier boards), checked with a meter there is NO continuity between the 0v pads.. Currently all 0v wires go to the same 0v pad.. If you tell me which colours are 0v for which other wires I can put them all to the correct 0v pads, or maybe I would be better off joining the 0v pads together?

Thanks,
Sam

I know you're a busy man John but if you get the chance could you check my posts on page 44 of this thread, I had a faulty M-DAC unit the other week with the 'No Comms' messages and have just received a replacement unit which also seems to be faulty, this time the remote control doesn't seem to work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdPBUTFJ3yA

Any ideas on how I can fix this without having to send the unit back once again, or would you advise I make another RMA?

Kind Regards,

James P

Links to the posts:
http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showpost.php?p=1860791&postcount=646
http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showpost.php?p=1860867&postcount=653

Hi James,

Which dealer did you buy the MDAC from? did the unit appear freshly sealed? While statistically possible you could have a second duff MDAC in a row, its very very unlucky.

Where the units B-Grade stock?

You could try the MDAC in a different room, just in case something is blocking the IR transmission - also is the Mini Din power cable correctly inserted, with no bent pins?

While the handset can be seen to be transmitting it cannot be guaranteed that its transmitting the correct codes - so it could be the handset or the MDAC itself...

Try twisting the power cable on the rear very gently...

Okay, still having troubles and am sure its something I have done so just want to run through exactly what has been done.

I used the cable from my MDac psu, so no mini-din wiring needed.. As my mdac is DC modified it was of no use anymore. Followed exactly those colour codes (and double checked a moment ago).
Checked output from my regulators and they are now exactly +/- 15v as appropriate.
Black wire is not connected, taped off. No stray wires etc and all solder joints look good (got a good light and magnifying glass on them)

My only thought is the 0v connections.. I have 3 different 0v pads (due to the 5 seperate windings and 3 rectifier boards), checked with a meter there is NO continuity between the 0v pads.. Currently all 0v wires go to the same 0v pad.. If you tell me which colours are 0v for which other wires I can put them all to the correct 0v pad, or maybe I would be better off joining the 0v pads together?

Thanks,
Sam

Hi Sam, yes, all the 0V on the PSU should be connected together...

In the lead there are 2 black wires - one that's join onto the outer shield wiring - this should be connected to 0V the other is a "Real" black wire that was unconnected in the original AC PSU, keep this one unconnected...

If no luck, PM me your contact number and I'll give you a call...

John i've got a question concerning burn in. Is it feasible using headphones or is it better to connect to a switched on amp ?
Moreover how many years does it needs :) ??

br /

Hi Sam, yes, all the 0V on the PSU should be connected together...

In the lead there are 2 black wires - one that's join onto the outer shield wiring - this should be connected to 0V the other is a "Real" black wire that was unconnected in the original AC PSU, keep this one unconnected...

If no luck, PM me your contact number and I'll give you a call...

Only one black wire, and a 'silver' wire that was not insulated.. Silver wire showed continuity to the shield/outer casing of the mini-din. Black wire is taped out the way.

Will link all the 0v points together now and see if that helps.

Sam

Only one black wire, and a 'silver' wire that was not insulated.. Silver wire showed continuity to the shield/outer casing of the mini-din. Black wire is taped out the way.

Will link all the 0v points together now and see if that helps.

Sam

Hi Sam, also connect the Silver wire to 0V

John i've got a question concerning burn in. Is it feasible using headphones or is it better to connect to a switched on amp ?
Moreover how many years does it needs :) ??

br /

Previous advice IIRC was that the MDAC only needs to be powered up to allow the caps to bed in. Expect some variation in SQ for a few days before settling down to 'excellent' :)

Linking the 0V points fixed it. Rechecked and tweaked all voltages back to +/-15V (Now +/- 0.01v) as they shifted by linking the 0V pads.

Silver wire was already connected to 0v.

Playing music now (through headphones,which is not my normal listening method) and it sounds perfectly fine. :) :-D

Quick 'shoot out' this weekend against Dads standard Mdac with a standard psu and his own dc psu.

Thanks for the assistance!

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back