advertisement

MDAC first listen (part XV)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I just shone a torch at it and mine looks the same as the pics here too.

Ditto.

My Mdac diy PSU nearly finished:
yza6ubym.jpg

Voltages are stable, just need to wire up the cable to the Mdac then soak test it. Excited is an understatement!

Please may I ask a quick question? Apologies it's off topic, but this may be of use to anyone else who still uses cd's:

Would a solution of fabric softener and water be as effective as expensive cd anti-static sprays? To my mind, something that removes static from clothing would work on cd's (and cables, equipment casework etc.). I would be very grateful for any thoughts...

Cheers,
Kevin.

What makes you believe that your beloved CD collection, cables etc, are suffering from what you think might be "static"???

Yours (in the real World)
Clive

What makes you believe that your beloved CD collection, cables etc, are suffering from what you think might be "static"???

Yours (in the real World)
Clive

Thank you. Well...I know that I suffer, because I get the occasional 'zap' from touching metal on supermarket shelves etc. LP's attract static so why shouldn't cd's? There are lots of 'gun' type static removers on the market that have had much praise on audio forums: all audiofoolery?!?

I braved it and applied power.
John - exactly what number would you like the rails to be? Set to 15V atm.

Not tried playing music yet.. It's late, I am tired and it needs voltages double and triple checking under load. But I am pleased to see the Mdac spring to life, and no magic smoke escaped.

:)

y6u8y9e5.jpg

Please may I ask a quick question? Apologies it's off topic, but this may be of use to anyone else who still uses cd's:

Would a solution of fabric softener and water be as effective as expensive cd anti-static sprays? To my mind, something that removes static from clothing would work on cd's (and cables, equipment casework etc.). I would be very grateful for any thoughts...

Cheers,
Kevin.

What makes you think there is an issue that needs fixing?

Thank you. Well...I know that I suffer, because I get the occasional 'zap' from touching metal on supermarket shelves etc. LP's attract static so why shouldn't cd's? There are lots of 'gun' type static removers on the market that have had much praise on audio forums: all audiofoolery?!?

Cds are read by lasers though. No physical contact. Can they be affected by static?

For Vinyl, No. For CDs, Yes.

If you can see dirt or smears on a CD wipe it off radialy (ie from the centre to the outside in a straight line). You can use a dry or slightly damp (I mean ordinary tap water not some $1000 snake oil) lint free cloth.

Clive

Ditto.

My Mdac diy PSU nearly finished:
yza6ubym.jpg

Voltages are stable, just need to wire up the cable to the Mdac then soak test it. Excited is an understatement!

The build looks really nice and clean. Congrats!

Looks quite expensive too, tho ;). What modules are those?

I braved it and applied power.
John - exactly what number would you like the rails to be? Set to 15V atm.

Not tried playing music yet.. It's late, I am tired and it needs voltages double and triple checking under load. But I am pleased to see the Mdac spring to life, and no magic smoke escaped.

y6u8y9e5.jpg
Looks wonderful! I wonder how much the improvement is, compared to the original MDAC.

And we will be testing this weekend.. Dads visiting and will bring his Mdac. His standard but he built an upgraded psu, so we can test standard with standard psu vs standard with upgraded psu vs sovereign dc + with upgraded psu.

The build looks really nice and clean. Congrats!

Looks quite expensive too, tho ;). What modules are those?

Case is from ModUShop
Toroid is a custom wound (with full screens/goss band etc) for Airlink Transformers
Power switch circuit is an AMB e24 (epsilion 24)
Power switch is a belkin black delrin with white ring momentary switch
Generic rectifier boards with QSpeed diodes and suitable caps and resistors (ie I cant remember the specifics)
Regulators are super teddy regulators (STRs - bought as kits in a group buy a while ago)

Using the 10mm black aluminium front panel as a heatsink.

It didnt cost me too much, as I already had a number of the bits in my parts draw, only had to purchase the case, toroid and a couple of other little bits.

Sam

Morning John and all, I turned on my M-DAC this morning and started to play via USB from my Audiolab 8000DT (same as I do pretty much every day) and was presented with the dreaded crackling coming from the left channel :eek:
I have never experienced this before and was quite alarmed as I had the wick turned up considerably from the day before, fresh underwear was very nearly required!
I immediately stopped playback and turned down the volume then tried playback again, the crackling was still present on every track I until I got to Kate Bush Hounds of Love Vinyl Rip, does the M-DAC like Kate or was it the fact that the rip was 24/96 that 'fixed' the issue? everything else played back fine afterwards :D

and Sam, your DC PSU looks fantastic I am a beautiful shade of green, enjoy!

Martin

I was wondering about the possibility os a software implementation for bass management with the MDac or Bdac.

Hi John,

I'd like to second that idea.

With enough DAC-channels to work with and the FPGA it might not be too difficult to include a 2-way crossover per channel in the T-DAC. As I understood, you plan on including double output stages tube/transistor anyway (mixable to ones liking, I think you said). So, that sounds like there will be four output stages anyway, usable for lowpass and highpass.

It would be wonderful to have nothing than a poweramp between your DAC and a fullrange speaker and sub.

Digital crossover on the input stream before analog conversion is far superior to any other available option.

Many greetings,
Achim

I turned on my M-DAC this morning and started to play via USB from my Audiolab 8000DT (same as I do pretty much every day) and was presented with the dreaded crackling coming from the left channel :eek:

I also experiencied this for the first time yesterday - disappeared after reboot of M-DAC (which is connected via USB to SBT).

Achim: no its the input stages that will have SS and valve options

PS. and John has said he wants to keep the TDAC as simply a DAC: KISS

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back