advertisement

MDAC first listen (part XI)

Status
Not open for further replies.
just a thought. could a phono stage be built in to the mpax? or available as an optional module? maybe a choice of modules eg DAB, FM,

Actually John was talking about designing a phono pre in the future. But I don't think there is enough space left inside the MPAX. Not to mention the amount of time required to design it.

A nice phone pre with balanced output matching the MDACs design would be nice though. :)

If no room inside for the phono pre, perhaps the MPAX could provide the DC supply rails for a separate pre?

On other PFM threads there's often been discussions about the merits of bi-wiring, with the general consensus that it does not make much of a difference - however my experience has proved otherwise - maybe I'm hyper critical...

Bi-Amping takes Bi-Wiring to the next logical level.

I've also found that Bridged power amplification when done correctly has a dramatic effect upon the Bass performance - resulting in much greater "Impact" to the Bass...

The MAMP allows all modes of operation - and will automaticly compensate for the extra 6dB of Gain when in bridge mode.

I'm going to wait before passing any comment until I have a chance to listen for myself :)

John

I have bi wired speakers and think the system sounds better for it. In hobby time, tooling around with amplifiers I found them very sensitive to layout and if best practice was not followed, proper earthing, PSU arrangement etc, a perfectly good circuit could lose sound staging and in the worse case sound bass light if it was particularly bad.

I think that people who cannot hear an improvement in bi-wiring most likely have poorly laid out amplifiers in the first place. Bi wiring is just good engineering practice.

shit, one of the AC power supply connector's pin is now crooked, I can't connect it to the psu socket.
Is it okay to put it in the right place?
it is so fragile damn.

edit:
I put it back in place, shit, now my M-dac is not perfect an the socket now looks like it was scratched to death bummer sad face

shit, one of the AC power supply connector's pin is now crooked, I can't connect it to the psu socket.
Is it okay to put it in the right place?
it is so fragile damn.

edit:
I put it back in place, shit, now my M-dac is not perfect an the socket now looks like it was scratched to death bummer sad face

Loosing sleep over a scratched socket on the rear panel???? sadly your MDAC's not perfect anymore... I understand the "death bummer sad face" :p

Lucky (for us) - the only way to sleep peacefully now will be to update your MDAC with the MPAX (which replaces the power connector)!!! ;)

Should I be locking our doors at night? :p

John

Hello John

Many thanks for your help
M-Dac replaced with a new unit and working well.
Can't wish for better info than from the designer.

Stuart

Hi Stuart,

That's great, sorry once again - I always feel bad when I hear of problems with one of our designs...

John

Hi John

After waiting for a long time , I've finally updated from 0.90 to A08 and I've noticed that with A08 there is a bit more emotion to songs, with a slightly bigger soundstage, which is great

I'm listening to Yankee Hotel Foxtrot by Wilco and it sounds like I've got Jeff Tweedy sat on my sofa strumming away.

Keep up the good work!

Bernard

Hi Bernard,

Thank you for the feedback - I happy owners have the ability to "fine tune" there units - Digital has taken a lot of fun out of HiFi... Mostly Black "Faceless" boxes...

John

Loosing sleep over a scratched socket on the rear panel???? sadly your MDAC's not perfect anymore... I understand the "death bummer sad face" :p

Lucky (for us) - the only way to sleep peacefully now will be to update your MDAC with the MPAX (which replaces the power connector)!!! ;)

Should I be locking our doors at night? :p

John

HAHA, yeah.
My thoughts exactly :)
John, I decided not to buy anything that is not produced by you and your collegues.
(audio only) I need food though.

side note, I'm gonna need a good headphone amp.. we threw some suggestions and just so you know, the m-dac headphone out is better than a 1000$ headphone amplifier I own, i'm not gonna throw names cause I need to sell it :p but if you really make something creative there and poweful for headphones aswell that would be the next big thing since the olympics high definition broadcast.

just a thought. could a phono stage be built in to the mpax? or available as an optional module? maybe a choice of modules eg DAB, FM,

Have been thinking about it... I might be able to add a internal location for "Plug-in" option card... much like the optional attenuator card.

The MTRN has a VERY decent FM/AM Tuner - we might be able to open up SW world band support - however there will be some spot "frequencies" that will be blocked by internal interference.

However, I'm have nothing to do with DAB...

John

I have bi wired speakers and think the system sounds better for it. In hobby time, tooling around with amplifiers I found them very sensitive to layout and if best practice was not followed, proper earthing, PSU arrangement etc, a perfectly good circuit could lose sound staging and in the worse case sound bass light if it was particularly bad.

I think that people who cannot hear an improvement in bi-wiring most likely have poorly laid out amplifiers in the first place. Bi wiring is just good engineering practice.

From experance I fully agree.

The difference has always been very beneficial in my experience - and does not cost much extra, so I wonder why its not more popular.

Browsing the threads on Bi-Wiring its surprising there's so much debate wither it makes a difference or not - when the difference is immediately obvious to me...

Maybe I've underestimated how well trained my hearing has become over the years...

John

I am using two cd-transports (the second sounds better with older cd's), both connected via coax. To my ears they sound better when one coax is disconnected. Am I dreaming or is this possible?

Very possible - first suspect would be the extra RF energy coupling between the CD player's and MDAC - Optical interconnect does have its advantages...

I'd like to add that even with optical connection, extra RF is generated within the MDAC as its digital input stages "process" the data streams on all inputs - even though they are not selected (as the playback source). You are listening to second order effects of Data process - RF leakage, PSU modulation etc - even though we goto great lengths to reduce these effects - the human ear proves once again how incredibly sensitive it is! :)

John

Hello, John

I am a big fan of MDAC from Taiwan, I love this DAC very much.

My MDAC is in pre-amp mode, it's awesome!

Recently I would like to upgrade the power supply of MDAC,

and I dont know very much about MPAX, cloud you please introduce it and how can I get the MPAX?

Thanks very much and sorry for my poor English :p

John, when the MPAX arrives, would I be right in thinking that the MDAC needs to be sent back to you to be adapted to work with it?

John, when the MPAX arrives, would I be right in thinking that the MDAC needs to be sent back to you to be adapted to work with it?

Yes - For the full package that includes the Mainboard updates. Without the Mainboard updates - a competent "DIYer" could swap out the internal PSU PCB themselves...

The Mainboard updates are recommended as they bring a significant improvement...

John

The difference has always been very beneficial in my experience - and does not cost much extra, so I wonder why its not more popular.

Browsing the threads on Bi-Wiring its surprising there's so much debate wither it makes a difference or not - when the difference is immediately obvious to me...

Maybe I've underestimated how well trained my hearing has become over the years...

John

Absolutely agree John, even when I only have single amp terminals I still bi-wire if my speakers are bi-wirable, it tightens up the bass IMHO

My main system is bi-amped/bi-wired and then one can really notice a difference, 8000P on my bass, & an 8000SX for the treble, fed by an SB Touch (EDO 0.7, MG-PSU), M-DAC as pre (A0.8 @ 180degree).

The touch and its PSU are new, so they are bedding in nicely, bass clarity and soundstage are getting better by the day.

A question, the EDO (Enhanced Digital Output applet by Triode) has several benefits, firstly it turns off unwanted functionality such as the SBTs onboard DAC, gives a more 'optimised' linux kernel, but it also gives me an option of using USB out. I notice that in the applet notes it states that the M-DAC is one of the devices it's been successfully tested with, using the native USB out. Have you had any contact with the developer 'Triode'? Or is this something he's developing in isolation?

FYI I'm using COAX at the moment, but I may experiment with USB once everything has 'bedded in'...

Yes - For the full package that includes the Mainboard updates. Without the Mainboard updates - a competent "DIYer" could swap out the internal PSU PCB themselves...

The Mainboard updates are recommended as they bring a significant improvement...

John
OK, thanks John. No problem, in for a penny, in for a pound as they say... :)

Have you setup a 'pre-orders' list yet (as you did for the MDAC)?

Have been thinking about it... I might be able to add a internal location for "Plug-in" option card... much like the optional attenuator card.

The MTRN has a VERY decent FM/AM Tuner - we might be able to open up SW world band support - however there will be some spot "frequencies" that will be blocked by internal interference.

However, I'm have nothing to do with DAB...

John

Wow John, you never stop to amaze me with the high level of customer support you guys stand for. If all brands would listen to their customers like you guys do...
I too like the quality phono stage option in the MPAX. Considering all the additions, will you still have room to fit all those things?
Also, would the tuner be fitted by default in the MPAX? I'm not to keen on that idea and would prefer it without a tuner. I still use my beloved Revox B760 for that purpose. I don't even use the Internet radio capabilities of my SBT because of the poor SQ provided by Internet radio.

Wow John, you never stop to amaze me with the high level of customer support you guys stand for. If all brands would listen to their customers like you guys do...
I too like the quality phono stage option in the MPAX. Considering all the additions, will you still have room to fit all those things?
Also, would the tuner be fitted by default in the MPAX? I'm not to keen on that idea and would prefer it without a tuner. I still use my beloved Revox B760 for that purpose. I don't even use the Internet radio capabilities of my SBT because of the poor SQ provided by Internet radio.

Tuner: John was talking about the MTRN, not the MPAX.

John

all my speakers have been bi-wired for over a decade now... and my front 3 ar bi-amped also... the big improvement I noticed on my current speakers (GX300) came from biwiring, I expected a medium improvement from bi-amping, but I can't really tell the difference between biamp and biwire.... biwire is best value for the money ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back