advertisement

MDAC first listen (part X)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm using J river media center and I'm using DSP VST and it automatically changes the bitdepth to 24 bits, why is that?

Assuming you mean that you are using JRiver MC along with a VST plug-in, then it is something your plug-in is doing! Untick the plug-in's 'enable' in the DSP section to check.

Given that most plug-ins are designed to change the sound quality in some way, why does this behaviour come as a surprise?

Assuming you mean that you are using JRiver MC along with a VST plug-in, then it is something your plug-in is doing! Untick the plug-in's 'enable' in the DSP section to check.

Given that most plug-ins are designed to change the sound quality in some way, why does this behaviour come as a surprise?

Thanks but that is obvious that it's the effect of the plugin, I just don't know what it has to do with the bitdepth, it happens with every VST...

Thanks but that is obvious that it's the effect of the plugin, I just don't know what it has to do with the bitdepth, it happens with every VST...

When ever any processing of the data is performed you end up with more data... and most "low end" audio processing is performed with 24Bit DSP's...

You should avoid DSP processing its only taking you further away from the original signal...

John

Any Idea on m amp pricing? Why is it likely to be better than audiolab's offerings?
Thanks

I'd certainly hope so!!! I don't rate any of the Audiolab amps in absolute terms...

The MAMP will be my first "production" released amplifier... I'm hoping for great things... but not listen to it yet... it going to be really interesting when I finally do...

I've not calculated the MAMP pricing yet - I'm not designing to a price - rather the best I can do with the design...

I'd like to think it will be somewhere around GBP600 to GBP800....

John

Most likely because that is your soundcards (MDAC) default setting under windows (MDAC manual page 11, F: Select "24 bit, 44,100 Hz..."). This is normal "Microsoft" behavior. This also happens when the windows limiter kicks in.

When you say 'the MDAC will indicate the thermal situation if things get too dicey..' did your really mean the MAMP?

No, the MAMP has no display, the MAMP(s) will communicate there status via the MDAC Comms Bus, which can then be displayed on the MDAC screen.

The MAMP's have a host of options which can also be selected via the MDAC...

Its partially why we have spent so much time developing the MDAC software uploader - for the MAMP and MPAX extended feature sets.

John

Pioneer N50 connected to the M-DAC how? Compared with what via USB? Not sure I follow you...

Digital s/pdif output on N50 to digital s/pdif input on MDAC, compared with playing the file using an audio player on the computer and sending the output to the MDAC's USB input.

Anyone care to enlighten me as to what each of MPAX, MAMP and MTRN are? Thanks.

Tempted to buy some of them if they go with the mdac, though can get audiolab at staff prices, so its going to be a tough one.

Anyone care to enlighten me as to what each of MPAX, MAMP and MTRN are? Thanks.

Tempted to buy some of them if they go with the mdac, though can get audiolab at staff prices, so its going to be a tough one.

MPAX: Improved power supply with two analogue inputs (XLR & RCA) for home-theater bypass. Will be combined with some modifications to the MDAC itself. The analogue inputs can be upgraded with preamp functionality (stepped attenuator option).

MAMP: Stereo power amp. Sort of Class A. 2x 100W or 200W bridged (8 ohms). Comes with oodles of current ;)

MTRN: Upcoming clock-locked cd transport. Also has 2nd USB input (up to 24/192) and a tuner module. Connected via two optical cables (spdif & clock sync) and therefor galvanically isolated. Name may be subject to change.

I got a second MDAC now ... this way, when I send one back to John W for mods, I'll still have one at home ....... Looking forward to the MPAX ....

I think the big advantage of a touch over direct connection is that the touch is wireless and you can run many of them simultaneously. It also runs stand alone , no server required and does not mess with bitrates etc..
As to the chap that asked about the Brio amps vs Audiolab , well I have had both the 8000 and the 8200 Mb's in my system , I feel the MB's beat a Bryston 4B ST and the 8000p's were pretty good, both very "truthful" amps , so if you want a "romantic" sound , they aren't for you.
JohnW , I have a question for you , A local chap , now deceased built what is called a "constant Z attenuator , its a passive pre , remote controlled , What exactly is "constant Z"? and what are it's advantages. I have opened it up , see a ton of chips but no attenator (like an alps) ....
PS I think the best feature in your software upgrades is the ability or delete filters for comparison purposes ...

Richard Kimber.

Slightly off topic......what do you use to control the N50? I love the sound of mine but hate the control app!

No, the MAMP has no display, the MAMP(s) will communicate there status via the MDAC Comms Bus, which can then be displayed on the MDAC screen.

The MAMP's have a host of options which can also be selected via the MDAC...

Its partially why we have spent so much time developing the MDAC software uploader - for the MAMP and MPAX extended feature sets.

John

Excellent!

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back