advertisement

MDAC first listen (part VII)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Deliberately or otherwise you have ignored the fact that 'Personally I'm not looking for 'all-in-one' Audio/Video/Network/HTPC/Images software ......' so JRiver is a non-starter.

I've ignored that fact simply because it doesn't really matter - that the the program happens to do more than we require doesn't preclude its use for the job in hand. The interface is highly flexible and easily configured so that you are unaware of it being anything other than a music player.

I've looked at most of the major audio player software for Windows (and quite a few programs you've probably not heard of) and I'm confident that JRiver is easily the most stable and predictable when it comes to getting it to work with USB hardware, especially on relatively low powered, little machines on which latency issues tend to become more profound, because the computer doesn't have the wallop to clear the decks anything like as quickly as a typical desktop unit.

.. and don't forget, if you are really skint, very mean, or incapable of not using features you don't want to use like video, there is a completely free, audio only version of J River called J River Media Jukebox -it's essentially a frozen version of JRMC 15.

.. and don't forget, if you are really skint, very mean, or incapable of not using features you don't want to use like video, there is a completely free, audio only version of J River called J River Media Jukebox -it's essentially a frozen version of JRMC 15.

It's nothing to do with cost. I'm just not looking to move from my current Audio Player. Simple as that.

I put the neww .99 software on my Mdac today and it still works!!

You have no idea how brave I was!

A scary thing happened though; a HUGE terrifying screech through the left speaker.

Shat? I nearly did. I was still in bp test mode though so I can relax now I'm outta there.

Good job I'd had my medicine before hand eh?

Spoke with Dom and the MDAC currently does not have discrete codes for filters / inputs.

It makes sense to add these, And we will once we have completed work on re partitioning the Mainboard / Front panel MCU workloads to free up memory space from our very precious 6K of memory on our Mainboard processor.

Excellent, thanks John (& Dom of course!)
You know, it's easy to start taking this outstanding level of support for granted, but the truth is I can't think of any parallels with anything I've ever purchased before - in fact nothing that even comes remotely close (no pun intended). My past experience is along the lines of email the tech support and get an apologetic reply back about a month later saying nothing can be done!

Really - this is top class

Yep sometimes you all are looking for stuff that ain't there. I'm on latestest software and as I had little drop out before I have little now. In fact none. Maybe the new panasonic E50 digital out is helping. As for it helping the sound I think not. John and Dom have tinkered with the software and John has mentioned it might make a difference to the sound. Lovin the Westlake but where is the line. If you can tell an audible difference I wil eat his dog. Sorry John I was joking love the dog.

Excellent, thanks John (& Dom of course!)
You know, it's easy to start taking this outstanding level of support for granted, but the truth is I can't think of any parallels with anything I've ever purchased before - in fact nothing that even comes remotely close (no pun intended). My past experience is along the lines of email the tech support and get an apologetic reply back about a month later saying nothing can be done!

Really - this is top class

Couldn't agree more!

Ben

Just a word of warning, Media Jukebox lacks some of the key features for Audiophiles, as it doesn't take advantage of the ASIO or WASAPI modes. This means that it's not bit perfect with Vista and 7 (But might be with XP).

I used to use JRMC full version 12, way back when, but am now quite happy with Foobar 2000, which, with a bit of coaxing (plugins such as Columns UI, HDCD decoder, Lyrics Show panel, Lyrics Grabber and WASAPI output support), provides features similar to JRMC and works remarkably well.

In the context of a hobby where folk pay £350 for a mains cable, £30 for JRMC is one of the the best value purchases in hifi. (IMO). And if you take the trial, and don't immediately buy, iirc they offer you increasing discounts until you do.

Couldn't agree more!

Ben

Absolutely! So much so that I actually feel bad not having yet bought a Lakewest product and can't wait to do so, it just doesn't feel fair somehow.., but one thing is for sure: MANY audiophiles will be buying John's new company's products not only for the ingeniousness of their designers but also thanks to his outstanding customer care!

Only Windows versions are provided. I've been successful with VirtualBox+Win7, running on a MacMini. One has to add an USB device filter in the VirtualBox preferences (for the LakeWest USB device; in ports -> USB), and maybe to restart the M-DAC.

Only reason in recent memory I've used the Windows VM ...

I used Windows XP, running Parallels on mac OSX Lion ... it worked fine...

guys, I can't get the USB to work from the Logitech SBT into the MDAC - I'm using an external powered hub, updated SBT's firmware to Triodes.... I get no sound from the USB input on the MDAC ... coax sounds fab... just want to try the USB to be sure what's best....

guys, I can't get the USB to work from the Logitech SBT into the MDAC - I'm using an external powered hub, updated SBT's firmware to Triodes.... I get no sound from the USB input on the MDAC ... coax sounds fab... just want to try the USB to be sure what's best....

Did you change the digital output to USB? I have no experience with Triode's applet but according to the instructions there's an entry in the settings:

If you want to change the output go to Setting > Audio Settings > Digital Output; if you want to change some of the advanced options go to Settings > Advanced > Digital Output

Otherwise, you might want to post your question in Triode's thread on the Slimdevices forum. I'm sure you will get usefull help over there.

In the context of a hobby where folk pay £350 for a mains cable, £30 for JRMC is one of the the best value purchases in hifi. (IMO). And if you take the trial, and don't immediately buy, iirc they offer you increasing discounts until you do.

You may pay £350 for a mains cable but I wouldn't.

As already said, it's not the cost of JRMC. I'm just not looking to change my current Audio Player.

Not clear why you and Plutox think I'm looking to change.

Are you both on commission?

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back