advertisement

MDAC first listen (part VII)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not you necessarily, but the need to try this version of that component and that version of this component in an effort to get Foobar working properly is tiresome.

The problems seem to have compounded with the growing use of USB as an audio interface, as the buffering requirements seem to be rather different to servicing a conventional sound card. I suspect most of the Foobar output components are in need of a bit of an overhaul to get them working optimally with USB audio.

JRiver appear to have this all well and truly cracked so, unless you enjoy tinkering with the myriad of things to adjust to get Foobar working well, it is the better choice for the computer audio novice.

+ 1

...I thought that the whole point of reclocking buffered data was to solve (or largely solve) mis-assigned bits so that async data & reclocking was belt AND braces in its approach?

Regardless of how much buffering you can do (within reason), if you are using any interface that offers no flow control (i.e. SPDIF), you need to tweak your local clock rate to match that of the incoming clock. You can do this very short term (at the cost of clock jitter) or longer term and rely upon buffering to get you out of trouble short term but the fact is that somehow, you have to match the incoming clock rate and once your clock rate is a moveable feast, its performance cannot be as good as a fixed clock.

If the receiver has flow control capability [which is the distinguishing feature of asynchronous USB compared to 'normal' USB] then your local clock can be optimized to run at its preferred rate and everything else is 'slave' to it.

The standard SPDIF interface is very much the tail wagging the dog.

Everybody just get a cheap macbook/macmini and use bit perfect itunes.

Quite simple and no shit at all.

Not a problem in a year and a half now.

Not you necessarily, but the need to try this version of that component and that version of this component in an effort to get Foobar working properly is tiresome.

The problems seem to have compounded with the growing use of USB as an audio interface, as the buffering requirements seem to be rather different to servicing a conventional sound card. I suspect most of the Foobar output components are in need of a bit of an overhaul to get them working optimally with USB audio.

JRiver appear to have this all well and truly cracked so, unless you enjoy tinkering with the myriad of things to adjust to get Foobar working well, it is the better choice for the computer audio novice.

I believe your comments should have been directed to Krisposs12, not me.

I don't know about Krisposs12 financial situation and it's for him to decide if he wants to stump up 30 quid for JRiver or try what I have suggested to get Foobar working properly or something else.

Personally I'm not looking for 'all-in-one' Audio/Video/Network/HTPC/Images software but maybe Krisposs12, or others, are.

it's for him to decide if * wants to stump up 30 quid for JRiver or try what I have suggested to get Foobar working properly or something else.

It's an odd world in which most participants in this thread will have stumped up at least GBP500 for an MDAC, yet are reticent to spend a small fraction of that amount on software. I bet most folks round here have spent more on their cables than their audio software ;)

It's an odd world in which most participants in this thread will have stumped up at least GBP500 for an MDAC, yet are reticent to spend a small fraction of that amount on software. I bet most folks round here have spent more on their cables than their audio software ;)

Deliberately or otherwise you have ignored the fact that 'Personally I'm not looking for 'all-in-one' Audio/Video/Network/HTPC/Images software ......' so JRiver is a non-starter.

+1

You can get JRiver free for 30 days and make up your own mind.

IMO, in the context of equipment talked about on this forum, £30 is an utterly trivial amount of money to spend, should you decide to.

+1

IMO, in the context of equipment talked about on this forum, £30 is an utterly trivial amount of money to spend, should you decide to.

So is FREE. Apple is your friend.

+1

XBMC is free and was full wasapi support... And is far better than JRiver imho.

Anyway, this is a discussion for another thread..

Sam

XBMC is free and was full wasapi support... And is far better than JRiver imho.

Anyway, this is a discussion for another thread..

Sam

I really like XBMC but I'm not sure it does bit perfect and doesn't do higher bit rates (Yet) If you have a folder structure as I do then XBMC is so easy to set up. I use Jriver MC but what a pain it was to setup when all I wanted it to do was use folder structure. I do like the being able to use more than one audio interface though and at the same time

Not sure if this will help as I use WinXPsp2.

I believe there was a problem with the latest (at the time) version of Foobar ASIO Support plug-in.

I'm using v 1.2.7 with ASIO4All v 2.8.0.0 and Foobar v 1.1.1.

I find I can set the Foobar output buffer length to anything I like, and it works fine, but currently using 50ms.

So, maybe worth trying Foobar ASIO Support plug-in v1.2.7 then ASIO4All v 2.8.0.0 if necessary.

This may also be worth a read if you have latency problems http://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.com/SW/AudioTools/TroubleShooting.htm

Thanks for the advice finesensations, I may well try installing your configuration at some point if it comes to it. Currently am just trying out a different USB cable to see if the random failures disappear.

Incidentally, I prefer using Foobar as like yourself I'm not really into the fully integrated software (and although I'm just getting used to the nuances of USB audio I am no novice with computing so have no issues with spending time on configuring drivers and software). However, I may well buy JRiver since it allows me to watch my music/concert DVDs and blu-rays and output the sound bitperfect. £30 is reasonable for that I think. As someone pointed out re. the cost of cables, I've just shelled out more than twice that on a Wireworld Ultraviolet 5. Not that as a computer scientist I'm not a little suspicious about the benefit of such cables (with an asynchronous USB device especially, is jitter going to be vastly improved with such a cable over a standard one?)

Best regards,
Krisposs

been looking through the thread but cant find a firmware update link for a Mac?

Only Windows versions are provided. I've been successful with VirtualBox+Win7, running on a MacMini. One has to add an USB device filter in the VirtualBox preferences (for the LakeWest USB device; in ports -> USB), and maybe to restart the M-DAC.

Only reason in recent memory I've used the Windows VM ...

I really like XBMC but I'm not sure it does bit perfect and doesn't do higher bit rates (Yet) If you have a folder structure as I do then XBMC is so easy to set up. I use Jriver MC but what a pain it was to setup when all I wanted it to do was use folder structure. I do like the being able to use more than one audio interface though and at the same time

Pretty much everything I have music wise is ripped from my cds.. Bitperfect test passes fine. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back