advertisement

MDAC first listen (part IV)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where are people ordering the Olimex from? It appears they sell from Amazon directly, so that might do.

Hi McKMini,

You don't really need to set your MDAC to Fixed output - you can achieve the same by setting the volume to 0dB.

You can Reset your MDAC by holding down the select UP and Down buttons upon power-up (hold down both buttons while powering up).

This will Reset the MDAC to default settings.

John

Thanks John.

I've a very modest system Nac72/Nap140/PMC Db1s but must say that the addition of M-DAC has made the most discernable difference in 20 years of buying kit. Vocals made hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

Thanks John.

I've a very modest system Nac72/Nap140/PMC Db1s but must say that the addition of M-DAC has made the most discernable difference in 20 years of buying kit. Vocals made hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

McKMini,
I have a similar Naim setup (with a HiCap) and I just wanted to join you in sharing that the MDAC has basically given me a new system which I originally purchased in the 90's and now sounds soooooo much better!!!

Thanks again JohnW for designing this awesome DAC! :D

Hi Everyone,
this is my first post at pinkfishmedia:)

I'm interested in buying MDAC, IMO this is a revolutionary piece of audio especially for 600 pounds (in Poland, where I live, it costs 800 GBP!).

Could you tell me if RCA outputs offers the same quality as XLR?
I don't see any desymmetrization opamp before RCA outputs... Signal is taken from one of the XLR's pins?

Regards,
piaseczeku

Bob. I bought a usb isolater (£35) about a month after the cdq. I didn't know I needed it until I plugged it in. A noticable difference in low level clarity and made strings in particular (and Kate Bush's wilder harmonics) much more palatable.

For that kind of money it's worth it just to know it's there.

I can't hear any difference in 'background noise' (just a very low 'rush of air' sound at higher levels) between USB, Coaxial or Optical.

So, how do I know I need a USB isolator?

What are the tell tale signs?

I can't hear any difference in 'background noise' (just a very low 'rush of air' sound at higher levels) between USB, Coaxial or Optical.

If the sound quality improves with an isolator, then you need it
If it doesn't, then you don't

(I'm not being facetious by the way)

usb noise won't manifest itself as background audio noise
If noise is there then the manifestation will be another veil being lifted off the music when the noise is removed

Much as Chris said.

The difference with my laptop was notable and quite beneficial beyond the price of £35. The unmasked detail and removal of 'blur' from bass lines was good stuff indeed.

A similar but much less pronounced effect happens with my mac mini too.

I must say though that the laptop is a cheapy and the mac mini quite elderly.

If the sound quality improves with an isolator, then you need it
If it doesn't, then you don't

(I'm not being facetious by the way)

usb noise won't manifest itself as background audio noise
If noise is there then the manifestation will be another veil being lifted off the music when the noise is removed

I appreciate what you are saying but I just get the feeling I would be trying to solve a problem I don't have.

I'm taking my USB Audio connection directly from the MB of my PC and the output via Foobar2000 passes the bit perfect test so really looking for clues as to what I might be missing out on.

I appreciate what you are saying but I just get the feeling I would be trying to solve a problem I don't have.

I'm taking my USB Audio connection directly from the MB of my PC and the output via Foobar2000 passes the bit perfect test so really looking for clues as to what I might be missing out on.
The clues are in my and arthur's answers :)

Crack it open and look for obvious breaks and dry joints, especially at the mechanical stress points.

While it could be a genuine failure of the core device, this is unlikely. I have three of these, all over 12 months old and working OK.

I have, even had the meter/scope on it and couldnt work out why it wasnt working.. :(
Olimex has been ordered since I posted above.

Sam

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back