advertisement

MDAC first listen (part IV)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Never tried it, but in theory yes, cascading isolators would improve the RF isolation.

But first, Pls. let be buy shares in the USB isolator company... :)

John

:):) Cheers John.

It's worth a shot, I can always sell it if it doesn't add anything (I mean take away anything naturally).

ps Any further news on the attenuator front?

Is there still a shortage ?

I know of one "open box" been used as demo unit once. £550.

PM if you want details

Hi John,

I'm thinking of getting myself a MDAC. Is the new firmware out yet?

I currently own a DacMagic. How does MDAC compare to CA DacMagic? I tried auditioning it here in Singapore but unfortunately I can't do a comparison since the dealer is using a different system and they are not carrying CA products.

I currently own a DacMagic. How does MDAC compare to CA DacMagic? I tried auditioning it here in Singapore but unfortunately I can't do a comparison since the dealer is using a different system and they are not carrying CA products.

MDAC is all-around more defined, better sounding. It needs some concentration to hear the differences, but you still hear them every time. My friend, who had a DacMagic for two years, liked it very much. He said it was more life-like than the DacMagic.

So far I've been a bit disappointed with the MDAC. Audiolab 8200CD sounded very different, more analogue and less tiring (and maybe less bright) even after 100 hours of "run-in". I haven't been able to do a direct comparison between the two, but compared both with a DacMagic. I think the 8200CD was more forgiving, but maybe not as precise? I could listen 8200CD for hours, but with MDAC I find myself just changing tracks.

Has anyone had similar experiences?

MDAC is all-around more defined, better sounding. It needs some concentration to hear the differences, but you still hear them every time. My friend, who had a DacMagic for two years, liked it very much. He said it was more life-like than the DacMagic.

So far I've been a bit disappointed with the MDAC. Audiolab 8200CD sounded very different, more analogue and less tiring (and maybe less bright) even after 100 hours of "run-in". I haven't been able to do a direct comparison between the two, but compared both with a DacMagic. I think the 8200CD was more forgiving, but maybe not as precise? I could listen 8200CD for hours, but with MDAC I find myself just changing tracks.

Has anyone had similar experiences?

No. Quite the opposite as I find that my M-DAC sounds so good I play more music and for longer.

Unless you are using headphones (you don't say) your Amp, Speakers, Room, Ears etc.will also have an effect on what you hear.

You also don't mention what filter(s) or inputs you have tried.

Could be anything or just the simple fact you prefer the 8200CD so why not just use that and sell the M-DAC and use the money to buy some CDs.

No. Quite the opposite as I find that my M-DAC sounds so good I play more music and for longer.

Unless you are using headphones (you don't say) your Amp, Speakers, Room, Ears etc.will also have an effect on what you hear.

Could be anything or just the simple fact you prefer the 8200CD so why not just use that and sell the M-DAC and use the money to buy some CDs.

Plus one.

I've seldom been so involved with music since the M-dac arrived.

What amp and speakers are you using incidentally? Intrigued i r.

At the moment I don't have a 8200CD. I had it for a while, but unfortunately found it lacking in some aspects (e.g. no headphone amp) and I don't really need a CD-player. Feature-wise the MDAC is a much better fit. I have been using the USB input (lossless audio files with Linux and OS X). Changing filters doesn't make it better. Otherwise the MDAC is very good and I would like to keep it, but I don't know if I can... :(

Setup haven't changed since I tried the 8200CD and difference was as I described before. I've considered changing to the 8200CD, but I have to compare first the 8200CD with MDAC in my setup. However, that is the last resort. The MDAC would have been a much better fit.

I think somehow the DacMagic and MDAC had very similar sound signatures (I don't know if I'm saying it right..), both had kinda annoying highs as the 8200CD was more enjoyable (this was tested with another setup). As I said before, the MDAC was still better than the DacMagic. Could it have something to do with the PSU? The DacMagic has a wall wart PSU too...

My setup:
MDAC - Linkwitz ASP - Power amp - Linkwitz Orion

At the moment I don't have a 8200CD. I had it for a while, but unfortunately found it lacking in some aspects (e.g. no headphone amp) and I don't really need a CD-player. Feature-wise the MDAC is a much better fit. I have been using the USB input (lossless audio files with Linux and OS X). Changing filters doesn't make it better. Otherwise the MDAC is very good and I would like to keep it, but I don't know if I can... :(

Setup haven't changed since I tried the 8200CD and difference was as I described before. I've considered changing to the 8200CD, but I have to compare first the 8200CD with MDAC in my setup. However, that is the last resort. The MDAC would have been a much better fit.

I think somehow the DacMagic and MDAC had very similar sound signatures (I don't know if I'm saying it right..), both had kinda annoying highs as the 8200CD was more enjoyable (this was tested with another setup). As I said before, the MDAC was still better than the DacMagic. Could it have something to do with the PSU? The DacMagic has a wall wart PSU too...

My setup:
MDAC - Linkwitz ASP - Power amp - Linkwitz Orion

Hi bluey

Not sure how you can 'accidentally' buy a CD player let alone one without a Headphone amp!

Sorry, don't recognise any of your kit (other than the M-DAC).

I have used, and still have as a spare, a DacMagic and using my system/ears they are in a different league.

IMO, the DacMagic is quite good for the price asked if you avoid the USB input.

The M-DAC is better all-round and the USB input, which I use most, is, IMO, excellent.

A Hi-Fi system is only as good as the 'sum of the parts' and it can take a 'few' goes to get it to your liking.

I believe the room and speakers 'set the scene' followed by the amp and the DAC.

If it sounds too bright try adding sound absorbing items such as curtains, soft furnishing, carpets, people etc. may help.

Lastly, the M-DAC PSU is NOT a wall wart (have a closer look) and again in a different league to the one provided with the DacMagic.

If you 'give up' on the M-DAC, what DACs are you considering replacing it with?

Hi John,

Hello fellow S'porean ... I have an Mdac and a DacMagic Plus.... doing both A/B comparissons.... the dacmagic is a bit thinner sounding on voice... it still improves detail, clarity and bottom end, but the Mdac sounds more composed and organic, with clarity, bottom end and mid range present...

without the firmware upgrade I'm having issues with any HD mat erial and the Mdac.... the DM+ had no problems with HD audio...

I'm using the DM+ now at my desk at work (macbook pro via USB, and listening to Sennheiser iE8).....

if I hadn't heard the MDac I would have been happy with the DM+ ... having listened to both, I prefer the Mdac ....

at the Adelphi, theres a store at the ground level where you can hear both ... but they are connected trhough small crappy speakers... ask them to connect them to larger speakers and the difference will be more obvious....

PM me if you have more questions - cheers.

Have you tried asking the Audiolab distributor in Singapore if you can bring down your DacMagic for a comparison. Comparing the two DACs while keeping everything else the same should give you a pretty good idea of the differences. I brought down my SB Touch and compared using its internal DAC versus using the MDAC as external DAC (with SB Touch as transport).

Leon

Hi John,

Hmmm, would love to see some small, efficient, high quality class D amps with XLR inputs and loopthroughs for bi-amping in the M-DAC form factor...

The Moog

How about some small-form monoblocks? Add 12v trigger activation (or source signal), and RCA and XLR inputs. Than I can replace the big hunk of an 5-channel amp and long speaker cable runs by 5 small amps, one at each speaker in my HT setup.

How about some small-form monoblocks? Add 12v trigger activation (or source signal), and RCA and XLR inputs. Than I can replace the big hunk of an 5-channel amp and long speaker cable runs by 5 small amps, one at each speaker in my HT setup.

M-Amps (these are stereo but can be operated in Bi-Amped or Bridged mode)...

XLR only input, Loop though + Trigger input.

The XLR input can be wired for RCA Single-End input - I hate the RCA jack (and sharing the RCA "Ground" both for Earth leakage currents + Signal Ground)...

John

John, I'm thrilled with my M-DAC and was wondering when you hope to release the amp and what the target price point will be. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back