advertisement

MDAC first listen (part IV)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi John
I suppose the "dangerous" moment of the upload of new firmware is when something is interrupting the update (another application or power supply failures)? Maybe you could add in the README or later manual that whenever possibly to work with MDAC and computer plugged into an UPS; unless one can recover with a global reset in any case ?
Much appreciated the quick help and now looking forward to the M-Pax ;-)

Hi Jean-Marie,

Yes, any interruption during the upload to the DAC - the upload cycle lasts only a few seconds, power failure would be "Unlucky", however more of a concern would be "Audio Data" streaming over the USB as the firmware information is being uploaded such as Mouse Click, Windows Pings, an incoming Skype Call etc...

John

Hi Jean-Marie,

Yes, any interruption during the upload to the DAC - the upload cycle lasts only a few seconds, power failure would be "Unlucky", however more of a concern would be "Audio Data" streaming over the USB as the firmware information is being uploaded such as Mouse Click, Windows Pings, an incoming Skype Call etc...

John
So it was probably a good idea to disable internet connection too...
Jean-Marie

The new software works a treat - no more drops outs when watching TV. Thanks a lot!

Ps. If anybody is using Win7x64 like me, select XP SP3 compatibility mode in properties or it won't work.

The M-PAX is only a PSU with Analogue signal handling - there are no digital inputs etc.

I'm not sure why you would want to use a PC sound card when you have Async USB (apart from 192kHz support).

John

Hi John,

Finally getting my replacement MDAC on Monday from the UK and very excited indeed. The unit was tested for me in the store so hopefully, any QC issues have been resolved on this one!

I am now thinking about the M-PAX to complement the M-DAC and wanted to ask when this will be available for purchase and will this be made available via any resellers in the UK or USA, or will it be direct with LakeWest?

Also, any ETA on the final (non beta) version of the firmware update?

Cheers,
Vin.

So it was probably a good idea to disable internet connection too...
No, that's being paranoid and won't change a thing. What is important when doing any update via a USB port is to ensure, as far as you are able, that the process is allowed to complete in its own time without interruption.

This mainly means no other primary users tasks running on the computer while the update is performed.

Hi jmbulg,

Here's the Beta Software if you want to try before the full "Official" release. This opens the Optical 2 input to maxim DPLL bandwidth which should resolve your Airplay Express drop-outs.

Please understand that this is NOT an official release so “at your own risk”, although I’ll offer all the support I can.

The updater only works on Windows XP, Windows Vista & Windows 7 (32 Bit Mode).

This is a console version of software update tool for Audiolab M-DAC.

Close all audio applications before proceeding with the update.

Before running 'update.exe', please make sure the M-DAC is powered on and connected to the computer via USB.

Once finished, turn the M-DAC off and on again to restart with new software.

Download the Beta software from:

http://db.tt/pV5gEOND

1. Extract the files from the Zip folder

2. Insure MDAC is connected to PC via USB - selected to USB input and the MDAC Display indicates "Ready"

3. Insure no other software is operating on the PC (anything that could interrupt the upload process to the MDAC).

4. Run the "Upload.exe" program, within 10 seconds the computer should report a successful upload.

You need to power cycle the MDAC - switch Off the MDAC for 5 seconds and then re-power for the software changes to take effect.

You can Push and hold the MDAC's Volume Knob while powering-up to indicated the software versions.

Old software v0.90 / v0.90

New Software v0.90 / vA.10

John

Hello John ,

Will wait for the official release upgrade for Mac OS. hope it will be ready in 1-2 weeks to solve my Syn problem with Cambridge ID100. many thanks

No, that's being paranoid and won't change a thing. What is important when doing any update via a USB port is to ensure, as far as you are able, that the process is allowed to complete in its own time without interruption.

This mainly means no other primary users tasks running on the computer while the update is performed.

Yep, but when I see how microsoft sometimes forces a reboot I still prefer to be as much isolated from the rest of the world as I can when making critical moves. But going off-topic here; was just trying to suggest (simple) saveguards to be added on the upload procedure.

but when I see how microsoft sometimes forces a reboot
Excuse me, but I think you have been listening to too much anti-Windows ranting!

Unless you are in the middle of installing something new or updates are being installed in the background (and you would know if this is happening), a stable system will not reboot spontaneously. If, after updates, a reboot is required, you are asked and have the option to delay as long as you need.

FAO: JohnW

You know that we'd arranged to update the CDQ later this month/early next? Would the forthcoming 're-working' of the CDQ that you mentioned a few days ago then replace the same components, or would those components be retained (i.e. PSU and OLED display)?

I'm definitely interested in having my CDQ updated to the forthcoming 'super CDQ' and wondered if (for the sake of a month or two's extra wait) it might be worth holding off?

Hi, I am looking for a bit of advice, I am finally getting my mdac on tues, well i only ordered it today but i originally wanted a cdq when that first appeared. Too much reading about upgrades and improvements has had me just reading instead of bitting the bullet but I am glad I waited. Now, I used to have a sb touch, (i still have a duet) but i sold the touch when i discovered that the soundcheck mods including disabling the screen made a big improvement, I then decided it was no longer a touch and couldnt listen to it in standard form anymore, so, theres been some progress since I was hear last, namely the usb mod. I would really like to know if anyone has compared the touch to a pc and how it compares? (using the usb out) I presume it still sounds better with all the soundcheck mods though? If the PC sounds as good then I wont loose any sleep over selling the touch. :)

JohnW:
Didnt you start a thread taking pre orders for the psu? I cant find it, I dont need any attenuation or analogue inputs so I just want the upgraded psu, I am going to have to troll back through all the posts because I have totally forgot all the details. Can you please give me a heads up?

Ok ive found some details, it doesnt look like you have a basic psu upgrade? I dont want to use my hifi amp that i am building as my front channels, i have an av setup but ive bought an amp switch so i can seperate the 2. Are you doing a better psu without all the whistles and bells?

BTW For all those who have been waiting 4 months for the mdac.... you have NO IDEA! :D (not including those that paid up front, thats just taking the mick) I was on a list of the first 50 to buy one of the all in one Lakewest DAC Amps, that was in 2006! :(
Really glad things have progressed John, Im only sorry i couldnt wait any longer for you to directly benifit from my investment, you have another psu customer though.....

Alan

On another note, John, I know you have no time but I thought I would risk an ask, If I sent you my squeezebox reciever could you build a clock lock for it to connect to my mdac or tell me how to do it myself? I have no idea of the clock rates though. I know the clever money is now on the touch but i think the little receiver is a hidden gem, I had an AMR CD-77 in my system for nearly a year, about 5k for anyone thats interested. I have to admit I havnt sat down an listened to music like i used to in 8 years but In a 5 min comparison I listened to wish you were here, track 4 and the squeezebox made my jaw drop compared to the AMR, before i get flamed it was running through a Behringer 24/96 with an SRPP valve output stage that i installed. As I still have the duet and I also have parts to build a power supply for it I would like to have it connected to my mdac as a comparison with the pc at least, I love the duet remote controll and I dont own fancy i-devices.

Alan

I am hoping a generous soul can help me...

I bought an MDAC to replace a Beresford 7510. There is to my ears an improvement, but I have also noticed some issues with sibilance when using the MDAC. I have swapped the units back to check, and it appears to be a feature of adding the MDAC to the setup.

The MDAC (PC Source - Optical) plugs into an Arcam A80 driving Monitor Audio RS6. I have the Arcam in 'Processor Mode' with the gain set so that the MDAC is at around -10db. The Beresford has no preamp, so I use the Arcam in standard mode.

My questions are...Is 'processor mode' just the equivalent of setting the volume. am I using 2 preamps and does that matter -could that be a reason for the sibilance issue? Could a generous expert tell me how to get the best out of what I have?

Thanks for any help you can give.

I am hoping a generous soul can help me...

I bought an MDAC to replace a Beresford 7510. There is to my ears an improvement, but I have also noticed some issues with sibilance when using the MDAC. I have swapped the units back to check, and it appears to be a feature of adding the MDAC to the setup.

The MDAC (PC Source - Optical) plugs into an Arcam A80 driving Monitor Audio RS6. I have the Arcam in 'Processor Mode' with the gain set so that the MDAC is at around -10db. The Beresford has no preamp, so I use the Arcam in standard mode.

My questions are...Is 'processor mode' just the equivalent of setting the volume. am I using 2 preamps and does that matter -could that be a reason for the sibilance issue? Could a generous expert tell me how to get the best out of what I have?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Hi xmon

I have an M-DAC and it handles sibilance very well, both talking and singing, sounding very natural and not over the top or drawing attention to it.

So, unless you have a faulty M-DAC, it could be due to some other change you have made or possible RF or some other interference.

Is is just certain singers or tracks or talk radio or all the time?

Any changes to connections?

What filters have you tried?

Have you tried the USB and coaxial inputs?

Is the PSU too close to the M-DAC? For example, I have my M-DAC on the top left shelf and PSU bottom right shelf.

Let us know if any of the above helps or if you need some more suggestions.

The M-DAC should be set to "fixed output level" by disabling the internal preamp.

Page 21 of the user instructions tells you how to do this.

Try it and see if improves things for you.

Another thing to try is removing the other preamp (unless you have a need for analogue sources).. I found in my setup that less is more.. Removing the extra pre-amp made the whole system sound better.

Sam

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will work through them this afternoon and see how I get on. I really appreciate the help.

Re the sibilance - it seems to be fairly widespread - but is more noticeable on acoustic music because the voice is normally clearer.

I was hoping to compare the MDAC preamp to the inbuilt Arcam preamp - should I conclude that "processor mode" does not bypass the Arcam preamp and therefore I cant do this?

Also in the same vein, is turning the MDAC to 0db producing exactly the same effect as using the outlined instructions for disabling the preamp?

As you can probably tell, I don't really know what I am doing, but I will go off and learn more about what a preamp actually does.

I believe that selecting 0db means that the preamp section is still in circuit whereas the other option should remove it from the circuit.

Also how about other filters?

Try it and see

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back