advertisement

MDAC first listen (part IV)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think from what i've read it was mainly cable/sky/freeview boxes that have been causing the dropout issue, i emphasize the 'was' as its a non-issue now :)

I agree that the SQ improvement for films/TV is very noticeable

I think from what i've read it was mainly cable/sky/freeview boxes that have been causing the dropout issue, i emphasize the 'was' as its a non-issue now :)

I agree that the SQ improvement for films/TV is very noticeable

Aha. I don't watch tv or have freeview. I wondered what was going on.

If anyone has any other suggestions for software or otherwise I'd greatly appreciate it.
If you are running Windows, J River media centre will do exactly as you require i.e. add a selectable amount of silence to the top of "new" playbacks but not interfere with gaps (or lack of them) between tracks.

In my view, J River is the most competent media player I have seen, on any platform.

How to fool almost any provider....as long as they allow ZIP files!

Use the free 7 Zip program to make an encrypted wrapper - make sure you select the box to encrypt the file names or Google will see through you.

At the receiving end, unzip the received package and voilà!

A Mac-compatible alternative is to double ZIP i.e. ZIP the ZIP a second time, both passes encrypted with the same password. The double ZIP approach is necessary because standard ZIP encryption does not encrypt file names, thus revealing your transmission of an .exe file to casual inspection. Once you ZIP a second time, all that can be seen is the file name of the first ZIP, not the names of the files contained within.

I was just surprised that Gmail does not allow .exe files - that's so amateurish... We work with exe files on a daily basis - I guess it indicates Gmails target market...
Actually, it's a conscious decision they've taken to prevent the propagation of malware and other such nasties via their email system. I should think that anyone who had need to send an .exe file would be savvy enough to find another method, and I'd rather that than act as a vector for the myriad ill-ware that pollutes many other providers.

Anyway, yes, I'd love a pair of attenuators - what do you need from me beyond what details Arthur has already provided? I think 20dB would be the right figure, XLRs of course.

Second thing: how are your plans for visiting Scotland over the next few weeks? Keen to get the PSU/OLED done, and (just maybe) I'll have the MDAC in place too, fingers crossed :)

john

Hi All

I’ve been following the Audiolab/M-DAC threads with great interest.

I have seen mention of the M-DAC comparing well or bettering TAG components. I wonder if anyone has actually substituted a M-DAC in place of an AV32 DP in a TAG system containing a DVD32R or DVD32FLR feeding an AV32R DP where they were connected using the synch link which was itself designed to reduce jitter.

I would be interested in hearing exactly what was done (replacing the AV32R DP completely or bypassing the AV32R DP internal DACs) and their opinion as to the relative merits. And for the purpose of the comparison maybe with the AV32R’s TMREQ turned off.

When the M-DAC becomes more available I will try to borrow a unit and try it myself but in the meantime I am curious as to whether anyone has already done it?

Hi All

I’ve been following the Audiolab/M-DAC threads with great interest.

I have seen mention of the M-DAC comparing well or bettering TAG components. I wonder if anyone has actually substituted a M-DAC in place of an AV32 DP in a TAG system containing a DVD32R or DVD32FLR feeding an AV32R DP where they were connected using the synch link which was itself designed to reduce jitter.

I would be interested in hearing exactly what was done (replacing the AV32R DP completely or bypassing the AV32R DP internal DACs) and their opinion as to the relative merits. And for the purpose of the comparison maybe with the AV32R’s TMREQ turned off.

When the M-DAC becomes more available I will try to borrow a unit and try it myself but in the meantime I am curious as to whether anyone has already done it?

I've owned both the AV32R DP 192 dac and the DVD32R a few years back. The DVD player sync linked to the AV32R was very special indeed and I have been trying to attain that reference ever since. Unfortunately the DVD player became faulty and I was unable to get it repaired.

I dipped my toe in streaming with a Sonos ZP80 and to be honest could not tell a difference in DAC quality for music between any of the 3 processors I've owned since (Rotel 1570 and Marantz AV7005). The Tag was smooth, the Rotel less refined , but lively and the Marantz a more refined, lively and engaging sound. I was still left wanting in regards to music, so experimented with a borrowed DPA little bit DAC (twenty years or so old). This made a big difference which for me really highlighted the problem that midpriced processors don't really cut it.
So my dilema was do I invest 5K on an Anthem or ADA Suite 7.1HD or keep trying out DACs. The answer for me was that I was happy with the AV side of things and thought the features on some of these processor would have been wasted. Oh and one minor fact I couldn't afford them

So in answer to your question yes on boths counts, the Marantz Av7005 (in my case) is better in all areas in regards to AV, but loses the smoothness of the TAG sound for music. The MDAC offers a perfect solution as it raises the bar and certainly in regards to Async USB it seems you can throw any old laptop in the mix, stick a usb isolator in between and it manages to reach the sound quality reference level I was after. I've now sold the Sonos and also a recently acquired Squeezebox Touch. Although I'd be interested to see if sync linked source would match the Async USB.

I've currently connected the MDAC to 7.1 analogue inputs , and have put my name down on the MPAX to hopefully improve the SQ even more in using the MDAC as a pre and bypass the AV for music altogether.

TMReq didnt really work for me as my room did not present to many problems, TMReq sounded a little flat.

Would be interested if you can find an existing owner of both DVD and TAG processor to perform a direct comparison . Pretty sure I've equalled it if not surpassed it .

That confirms my findings exactly...

Using the Optical out on my V+ box, directly into Input OPT1 (DPLL Auto) on the M-Dac i get dropouts frequently (around every minute for a split second)

If i use the HDMI out on my V+ box into my TV, then the Optical out from my TV to the M-Dac (Input -OPT1) i don't experience the frequent dropout
Although i do get the feeling i may experience the odd very rare dropout as i observed this same thing before (drop outs from V+ box via optical frequently, dropouts from TV via optical infrequently)

Using the Optical out on my V+ box directly into OPT2 Input (highest DPLL BW) on the M-Dac there is no dropouts at all & the bitrate toggles from 47k to 48k+ constantly (for example switching between 47.681k & 48.322k)

So it seems using OPT2 (highest DPLL BW) solves the problem just fine :)

Hope this helps, sorry for my possibly long winded method of explaining what i've found ;)
Hello John and all

does anyone using Cambridge Audio ID100 with M-DAC??

I am using the coax input with my Cambridge Audio ID100 , the clocking is unstable , and music cutoff and in every few seconds ..
does using optical connection with ID100 solved this problem ?
is there any firmware that I could update to M-DAC to solve this ? I am using MacAir and using iTune to play.

Please help !

Hi all,

I got my new M-DAC three days ago and so far I am very pleased with the sound quality which improved noticeably within the first 24 hours. After re-reading some of the comments by John regarding burn-in, I've decided not to cut power within the first 14 days.

I did a quick test with my Lenovo x121e subnotebook, foobar2000+wasapi and a bunch of flac files i ripped from selected cds. Both (new) Bitperfect testfiles provided by Dominik several days ago passed without errors. SQ via USB input is very good however i can only compare it to a Pioneer LX52 bluray player which serves as my cd transport for the time being.

On saturday i received the last missing parts for my new HTPC build. I use the lovely OrigenAE M10 mITX case with an Asus P8H67-I Pro motherboard, Intel Celeron G530 CPU, Corsair DDR3 SO-DIMMs and (for now) a Hitachi 2,5" harddisk drive.

The HTPC works fine, I passed the Bitperfect Test both with foobar2000+wasapi and MediaMonkey. But the system is generating some serious noise (no, it's actually very quit, i'm talking about electronic noise). If there is no music playing you can hear some serious stuff going on. Now I know why John is building the Transport (and it's USB input) galvanically isolated. When I power the system down it gets even worse with a load whistling sound. I have to turn off my poweramp (Cambridge 840W), disconnect the usb or turn the HTPC back on. The whistling sound also disappears when I disconnect the M10s external power supply from the line and plug it back in. The case uses an external 150W AC-DC power supply (made by FSP) and an internal DC-DC converter.

Guess I will have to do some more research regarding the noise problem and I will be grateful for any ideas.. :(

John, I'll be very happy to beta test your transport.. ;)

Michael

Hi all,

I got my new M-DAC three days ago and so far I am very pleased with the sound quality which improved noticeably within the first 24 hours. After re-reading some of the comments by John regarding burn-in, I've decided not to cut power within the first 14 days.

I did a quick test with my Lenovo x121e subnotebook, foobar2000+wasapi and a bunch of flac files i ripped from selected cds. Both (new) Bitperfect testfiles provided by Dominik several days ago passed without errors. SQ via USB input is very good however i can only compare it to a Pioneer LX52 bluray player which serves as my cd transport for the time being.

On saturday i received the last missing parts for my new HTPC build. I use the lovely OrigenAE M10 mITX case with an Asus P8H67-I Pro motherboard, Intel Celeron G530 CPU, Corsair DDR3 SO-DIMMs and (for now) a Hitachi 2,5" harddisk drive.

The HTPC works fine, I passed the Bitperfect Test both with foobar2000+wasapi and MediaMonkey. But the system is generating some serious noise (no, it's actually very quit, i'm talking about electronic noise). If there is no music playing you can hear some serious stuff going on. Now I know why John is building the Transport (and it's USB input) galvanically isolated. When I power the system down it gets even worse with a load whistling sound. I have to turn off my poweramp (Cambridge 840W), disconnect the usb or turn the HTPC back on. The whistling sound also disappears when I disconnect the M10s external power supply from the line and plug it back in. The case uses an external 150W AC-DC power supply (made by FSP) and an internal DC-DC converter.

Guess I will have to do some more research regarding the noise problem and I will be grateful for any ideas.. :(

John, I'll be very happy to beta test your transport.. ;)

Michael

Hi Michael,

It sound like you need an USB Isolator - this will isolate your PC and Audio Grounds.

John

Hello John and all

does anyone using Cambridge Audio ID100 with M-DAC??

I am using the coax input with my Cambridge Audio ID100 , the clocking is unstable , and music cutoff and in every few seconds ..
does using optical connection with ID100 solved this problem ?
is there any firmware that I could update to M-DAC to solve this ? I am using MacAir and using iTune to play.

Please help !

The Cambridge Audio ID100 was one of the very first products we encountered that required the DPLL settings on the CD/CDQ so its no surprise that you have the same issue with the MDAC.

The pending software update we resolve the issue - I'm guess first full public release at the ends of this week,

John

How to fool almost any provider....as long as they allow ZIP files!

Use the free 7 Zip program to make an encrypted wrapper - make sure you select the box to encrypt the file names or Google will see through you.

At the receiving end, unzip the received package and voilà!

A Mac-compatible alternative is to double ZIP i.e. ZIP the ZIP a second time, both passes encrypted with the same password. The double ZIP approach is necessary because standard ZIP encryption does not encrypt file names, thus revealing your transmission of an .exe file to casual inspection. Once you ZIP a second time, all that can be seen is the file name of the first ZIP, not the names of the files contained within.

Hi Plutox,

Thanks for the info :)

John

Hi John,

Do you have a list of which features made it into this upcoming release?

Ben

X2 , and most important thing is that how can user be informed on the update and installation ?
will the dealer / distributor worldwide be aware of this and provide upgrading service to their customer while needed.

Thanks
Raymond Lim

X2 , and most important thing is that how can user be informed on the update and installation ?
will the dealer / distributor worldwide be aware of this and provide upgrading service to their customer while needed.

Thanks
Raymond Lim

Here we go...

There will be two software builds.

1. The Official Audiolab build which corrects known Bugs and issues.

2. The "Lakewest" build which adds extra features and owners requests etc - this way we don't have to get all hung up with user manuals changes etc - and the "committees" who argue endlessly about the befits of adding features.

I have no will to entertain dealing with the official channels - I'll be more then happy to support owners on PFM and anyone who comes to us directly.

We no longer work for Audiolab, however we are happily offering free support simply because its the correct thing to do :)

John

That confirms my findings exactly...

Using the Optical out on my V+ box, directly into Input OPT1 (DPLL Auto) on the M-Dac i get dropouts frequently (around every minute for a split second)

If i use the HDMI out on my V+ box into my TV, then the Optical out from my TV to the M-Dac (Input -OPT1) i don't experience the frequent dropout
Although i do get the feeling i may experience the odd very rare dropout as i observed this same thing before (drop outs from V+ box via optical frequently, dropouts from TV via optical infrequently)

Using the Optical out on my V+ box directly into OPT2 Input (highest DPLL BW) on the M-Dac there is no dropouts at all & the bitrate toggles from 47k to 48k+ constantly (for example switching between 47.681k & 48.322k)

So it seems using OPT2 (highest DPLL BW) solves the problem just fine :)

Hope this helps, sorry for my possibly long winded method of explaining what i've found ;)

Just as an aside, which V+ box to you have? I got one of the "new" Samsung ones a few months ago as I was having lots of problems with my old one (I forget what make it was). I watched it for an hour or so last night over optical and had no drop outs.

Ben

John

Have you thought about getting up a website? Would be really good to have a portal of static information of what works your planning on doing!

Regards

Seb

Here we go...

There will be two software builds.

1. The Official Audiolab build which corrects known Bugs and issues.

2. The "Lakewest" build which adds extra features and owners requests etc - this way we don't have to get all hung up with user manuals changes etc - and the "committees" who argue endlessly about the befits of adding features.

I have no will to entertain dealing with the official channels - I'll be more then happy to support owners on PFM and anyone who comes to us directly.

We no longer work for Audiolab, however we are happily offering free support simply because its the correct thing to do :)

John

Thanks for all.
I'll show this to the next one asking to move this thread in the trade section....

Just as an aside, which V+ box to you have? I got one of the "new" Samsung ones a few months ago as I was having lots of problems with my old one (I forget what make it was). I watched it for an hour or so last night over optical and had no drop outs.

Ben

Im using the Samsung V+ box, strange you have no droputs over optical, during testing mine dropped out religiously every minute or so for a split second, perhaps on certain channels it doesn't 'step' its output as much as others. Before this software update i mostly used optical from my TV as then the dropouts were very rare.

After installing the software update i watched a good few hours yesterday with no dropouts, mine toggles with a bandwidth of around 0.641k, not sure if this means i'll have to use the highest DPLL bandwidth setting as per this software update or a lower setting once the full release is out.

Its good to know its generally sorted ;)

John

What does this mean with regard to the future M-Power amp to match the DAC, will it be still forthcoming or not?

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back