advertisement

MDAC first listen (part IV)

Status
Not open for further replies.
rename the exe to .ex_, or even rename the zip... So long as the recipient knows to rename it back then it should be fine.

*edit - Beaten to it

Sam

Hi John.

Willing to run the beta firmware - PM sent.

Regards
Dave.

Dave, No luck I'm afraid,

Wow - I cannot believe how hard it is to send a simple Email with a few files these days!

(I renamed the .exe file to .ex_) but still no luck!!!

Returned from your Email server:

"One or more of the attachments (M-DAC Update T.zip, update.ex_, hidapi.dll) are on the list of unacceptable attachments for this site and will not have
been delivered.

Consider renaming the files to avoid this constraint.

The virus detector said this about the message:
Report: Report: MailScanner: No programs allowed (hidapi.dll)
Report: MailScanner: No programs allowed (update.ex_)
--
MailScanner
Email Virus Scanner

Yahoo seems to work ok...!

Hi John.

Downloaded MDAC updater via link, installed and followed instruction to flash the mainboard firmware - a piece of cake.

Reported V0.9/V1.0 as directed.

Opt 1 still exhibited the audio drop-outs due to fluctuating frequency (16bit/48.000K to 48.001K) from a Samsung BD-D8200M HD Freeview/Blu-Ray.

Opt 2 has stable audio - no drop-outs at all over the last half an hour or so.
Display is continuously flicking between 16bit/47.680K and 48.321K.

Sound is great through the MDAC, but it was pretty damn good with CDQ.

The frustrating part is that it was only the Freeview digital output causing grief -DVD's, Cd's etc.. all played fine.

Hope this helps.

Dave.

Chronic,

My Email bounced back from your Gmail account as even though Zipped contains an *.exe file!!!!

From Google:

"Some file types are blocked

As a security measure to prevent potential viruses, Gmail doesn't allow you to send or receive executable files (such as files ending in .exe) that could contain damaging executable code.

Gmail won't accept these types of files even if they are sent in a zipped (.zip, .tar, .tgz, .taz, .z, .gz) format. If this type of message is sent ..... it is bounced back to the sender automatically."

Well that's a REALLY useful Email service!!! those dreaded *.exe files!!!

John

Google are buggers for blocking exe files, renaming is no good, compression with winzip is no good but if you put them in a folder and compress it with winrar, freebie compression program, it does work.

Hi John.

Downloaded MDAC updater via link, installed and followed instruction to flash the mainboard firmware - a piece of cake.

Reported V0.9/V1.0 as directed.

Opt 1 still exhibited the audio drop-outs due to fluctuating frequency (16bit/48.000K to 48.001K) from a Samsung BD-D8200M HD Freeview/Blu-Ray.

Opt 2 has stable audio - no drop-outs at all over the last half an hour or so.
Display is continuously flicking between 16bit/47.680K and 48.321K.

Sound is great through the MDAC, but it was pretty damn good with CDQ.

The frustrating part is that it was only the Freeview digital output causing grief -DVD's, Cd's etc.. all played fine.

Hope this helps.

Dave.

Hi Dave,

Thank you for the feedback :)

The flickering about gives you some idea of the Jitter from the Freeview box!

Optical input One is set to "Auto BW" but Auto cannot handle the very large discrete "Jumps" caused by the freeview box.

Optical input Two is set to Max DPLL BW - we can add Narrow, Mid and Wide DPLL bandwidth options for each input - Now that the selectable DPLL BW resolves the issue.

Thank you for the feedback.

Was the update process painless?

John

Google are buggers for blocking exe files, renaming is no good, compression with winzip is no good but if you put them in a folder and compress it with winrar, freebie compression program, it does work.

Hi Russel,

I cannot believe how restrictive they are!!!

Used dropbox in the end.

John

Hi John.

Once I'd double-checked you guidelines, it took less than 5 minutes and couldn't be much easier.

Been waiting to get everything swapped to the MDAC, so this is just the ticket. :)

Many thanks.

Just to clarify - the Update Tool works on both 32bit & 64bit Windows and we'll support Intel Macs as well in time for official release.

The 'actual frequency' display in high bandwidth DPLL setting unfortunately cannot be relied upon due to the inner workings of the ESS chip. I will try to work around it somehow but can't promise anything.

So far results as expected, Auto goes for very narrow DPLL due to the very clean de-jittered signal and gets caught by surprise as the DTV suddenly steps the frequency, hence the dropout. The widest DPLL will prove an overkill, so we'll offer a few options to choose from in the final release.

Dominik

As the MDAC is not locked - it cannot recover the Data (you need a valid clock to recover the Data).

Apparently, some more recent media players the the option to insert a silence before start of tracks to allow external DAC's to lock.

That's what I thought but I figured I should ask to be sure. Unfortunately so far all I've found are options to insert silence before every track which then messes up gapless albums.

There is Musicbee which has some options for fading which seems to be much better but this only seems to work with ASIO which doesn't seem to work as well as I would have expected.

If anyone has any other suggestions for software or otherwise I'd greatly appreciate it.

Hi VSS,

Sonically the MDAC sounds better if left powered up - there is a lifetime issue with the OLED display - the pending software build will add a display off option.

John

Ooo, I leave mine on all the time, should I not do? What's the lifetime of the display?

Ben

Just to clarify - the Update Tool works on both 32bit & 64bit Windows and we'll support Intel Macs as well in time for official release.

The 'actual frequency' display in high bandwidth DPLL setting unfortunately cannot be relied upon due to the inner workings of the ESS chip. I will try to work around it somehow but can't promise anything.

So far results as expected, Auto goes for very narrow DPLL due to the very clean de-jittered signal and gets caught by surprise as the DTV suddenly steps the frequency, hence the dropout. The widest DPLL will prove an overkill, so we'll offer a few options to choose from in the final release.

Dominik

Thanks Dominik, the Intel mac promise is a big relief- I didn't fancy pestering my neighbour for a loan of his PC.
For what it's worth, my pre-Intel Powerbook, now relegated to music server, handles 44.1k beautifully, but the M-DAC does NOT like the higher rates. I can wait for the "official release". Any idea when?

Cheers

Bob

I’m in the market for an M-DAC but these seem to be issues with availability. :(Is the M-DAC simply sold out or is there something else going on?

I’ve read through the user manual of the M-DAC and there is nothing mentioned about renaming of the inputs. It would be a great feature if the naming (labels) of the inputs is user configurable. My CA 8340 E pre-amp has this feature and I find that very useful. I suppose the M-DAC’s firmware is user upgradable so maybe this could be implemented in later release?

I’m in the market for an M-DAC but these seem to be issues with availability. :(Is the M-DAC simply sold out or is there something else going on?

I’ve read through the user manual of the M-DAC and there is nothing mentioned about renaming of the inputs. It would be a great feature if the naming (labels) of the inputs is user configurable. My CA 8340 E pre-amp has this feature and I find that very useful. I suppose the M-DAC’s firmware is user upgradable so maybe this could be implemented in later release?

Hi Delane,

Just soldout - there's a shipment to leave the warehouse on Monday - but demand outstrips supply,

Renaming inputs is on the wish list and we will try to implement on a future software release.

We have a early Beta version of Software that "Should" resolve the Dropouts / Locking issues with high Jitter sources such as DTV / Cable / Set-top boxes etc (Optical inputs only ATM)

Optical Input 1 has the DPLL set to "Auto" while although this did not prove very successful on the CD/CDQ, maybe however the extra 2 stages of Jitter attenuation within the MDAC may help.

Optical Input 2 set to highest DPLL BW (this is the best we can do)

Hiya John,

The software revision installed fine, thanks for the email & sorting out the gmail .exe attachment problem

Just to confirm, which optical input should i be using to test first?

OPT1, then if the connection still drops out try OPT2?

Thanks

The software revision installed fine John, thanks for the email & sorting out the gmail .exe attachment problem

Just to confirm, which optical input should i be using to test first?

OPT1, then if the connection still drops out try OPT2?

Thanks

Hi Chronic,

No Problem, I was just surprised that Gmail does not allow .exe files - that's so amateurish... We work with exe files on a daily basis - I guess it indicates Gmails target market...

I strongly suspect OPT1 will still drop-out

OPT2 should work without dropouts...

I strongly suspect OPT1 will still drop-out

OPT2 should work without dropouts...

That confirms my findings exactly...

Using the Optical out on my V+ box, directly into Input OPT1 (DPLL Auto) on the M-Dac i get dropouts frequently (around every minute for a split second)

If i use the HDMI out on my V+ box into my TV, then the Optical out from my TV to the M-Dac (Input -OPT1) i don't experience the frequent dropout
Although i do get the feeling i may experience the odd very rare dropout as i observed this same thing before (drop outs from V+ box via optical frequently, dropouts from TV via optical infrequently)

Using the Optical out on my V+ box directly into OPT2 Input (highest DPLL BW) on the M-Dac there is no dropouts at all & the bitrate toggles from 47k to 48k+ constantly (for example switching between 47.681k & 48.322k)

So it seems using OPT2 (highest DPLL BW) solves the problem just fine :)

Hope this helps, sorry for my possibly long winded method of explaining what i've found ;)

Sounds good so far. Would have loved to get involved but t I have my son this weekend so he is keeping me occupied :)

I've yet to have a dropout. But I only use a Panasonic blu ray through opt1 and a mac mini via usb.

Both of which are excellent. Films are better than expected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back