advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00111011)

Status
Not open for further replies.
IS the MDAC working OK? - do you have audio on the MDAC's output?
John, it was working properly last time I checked. Out of town at the moment so will check soon. But I believe it will be working alright. As I said, I get sound (and some clicks) from the Mdac’s SPDIF output into the Benchmark, but the Benchmark is complaining of issues in data transmission.

Odd, as the SPDIF is used as an internal data path inside the MDAC, so if the Audio is OK from the MDAC, then the SPDIF output must also be...

Lots of recent updates on FB - about to issue a MDAC2 DevDAC board with the Discrete DAC array, FPGA etc. next week.

So John, can you post the updates on here? It really isn't acceptable as a sponsor that I am excluded from the updates.

You did promise to keep me informed by email but I haven't received 1 single update from you after you excluded me from the Facebook group.

If John won't post the updates can someone send them to TonyL and he will post them here?

From diyaudio

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-line-level/273474-dac-dac-220.html#post5825496

"those who are interested within the next 6 -9 months there will be a sub GBP 400 DAC for sale that has a fully discrete DAC (well the whole design is discrete from PSU's, Clock, DAC and Analogue stage) - the PCB has over 1800 components due to its fully discrete nature - the challenge we face will be the build complexity, so few designs these days are fully discrete - I worry we will have a hard time finding a subcontractor in China who can build such a complex PCB with high yields that will not to impact the build cost too badly. The discrete components are cheap, but the design complexity is much greater so impacting the build cost = so sadly no net advantage in sales cost
frown.gif
But the Sound quality is in a DIFFERENT league to any of our (Jarek and myself) ESS based designs.

Before these "mass market DACs" are released I'm also nearing completion of a "Private group funded" DAC (funding now long closed) I've been working on this design for far to long and looking forward to the first units. This is also a FULLY discrete but far more advanced design - with the DAC array directly driving the analogue output (Direct Digital 2 Analogue) - without an active Analogue stage
smile.gif
and yet it still has a typical output impedance that varies between 33ohms at 0dB to 3.5 ohms below -40dB (Output impedance depends on the "Volume level setting" not signal level
smile.gif
)."

The more I read the more convinced I am that not attempting a home build was the right decision. Analogue electronics is manageable (so far) but digital theory just makes my brain hurt.

the more I read the more I'm convinced John will think he has fulfilled his promises with an entry level FDAC then move swiftly onto a sub 400 DAC
with no clear roadmap for FDAC L3 or VFET

the more I read the more I'm convinced John will think he has fulfilled his promises with an entry level FDAC then move swiftly onto a sub 400 DAC
with no clear roadmap for FDAC L3 or VFET
That is not correct!
It is more like a stepping stone on the way to FDAC.

I'll bet a tenner with you I wont have my FDAC L3 and VFETS this year

The plan is MDAC2 and VFETS this year - I hope that you can start with the MDAC2 which is designed to be upgraded to FDAC once we have the VFETs built.

Havent checked in on this thread in ages, and that is good news JohnW!
Cant wait to get the 2x MDAC2's, joining them together and running the crossover/miniDSP/room correction through them. Exciting times! :D
(and upgrade them both to FDAC's when thats ready)

Havent checked in on this thread in ages, and that is good news JohnW!
Cant wait to get the 2x MDAC2's, joining them together and running the crossover/miniDSP/room correction through them. Exciting times! :D
(and upgrade them both to FDAC's when thats ready)

Sam,

WRT the DSP, as we are not in a position to develop the control UI at this time so we plan to use Analogue devices SigmaStudio - I hope that this will meet your DSP requirements? its seems targeted to Crossover type applications etc.

Units with DSP will not support MQA or Native DSD (atleast when in DSP mode).

Room correction and daisychaining units for multiple sub implementation and integration was one of my main drivers for getting on board with a second unit.. Thought you had meetings with DIRAC/MiniDSP people and this was a go? Integrating with the files (.FIR?) that RoomEQWizard creates (https://www.roomeqwizard.com/)

Are you saying that this feature has been lost somewhere along the line?

:(

** edit - did some searching and it was discussed here, 4 years ago: https://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum...sten-part-00100111.174651/page-6#post-2610160

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back