advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00111011)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The first task is to ship the MDAC2 hardware with "functional" DSP hardware - SigmaStudio allows us to offer DSP functions, software can be work upon over time to add features (such as support for .FIR files) I was not aware of the .FIR format and will investigate.

The first task is to ship the MDAC2 hardware with "functional" DSP hardware - SigmaStudio allows us to offer DSP functions, software can be work upon over time to add features (such as support for .FIR files) I was not aware of the .FIR format and will investigate.

FFS someone please tell him not to investigate until he has actually finished something, preferably the MDAC2 nearer the promised original estimated cost of 400UKP rather than the stratospheric cost it seems to be heading for.

MDAC SPDIF output

John, it was working properly last time I checked. Out of town at the moment so will check soon. But I believe it will be working alright. As I said, I get sound (and some clicks) from the MDAC's SPDIF output into the Benchmark, but the Benchmark is complaining of issues in data transmission.

Mdac working properly through headphones. Anything else I could check? I have disabled Decorrelation and LSB Restoration, don’t see any other relevant settings in the menu. Is this a hardware failure, or simply too much jitter in the DDC function? I wonder if any other MDAC users would be kind enough to try converting USB input to SPDIF output (electrical or optical) on the Mdac and chime in?

So John, can you post the updates on here? It really isn't acceptable as a sponsor that I am excluded from the updates.

You did promise to keep me informed by email but I haven't received 1 single update from you after you excluded me from the Facebook group.

If John won't post the updates can someone send them to TonyL and he will post them here?

C'mon guys, there must be someone who is willing to send the facebook updates to Tony so the rest of us can see what's going on?

The SPDIF signal is used internally as the audio data path, its the data connection to the ESS9018 - if the MDAC's audio output is OK, then its a very good chance that the SPDIF is OK.

Do you a second DAC you can try with the MDAC SPDIF output?

@kille99

John clearly doesn't understand "update" like the rest of the world, so no reason to expect any real answers until physically in our hands, based upon past performance it could just be more missed deadlines and "unforeseen learning curves"

he may be a very talented electronics engineer, but clearly had/has no understanding of what it takes to get a product to investors/market

my advice...….…... try to switch off and learn from the mistake, and post the odd keyboard warrior blah blah [ guilty as charged !]

when product comes, I just hope the hardware makes up for the timeline disappointment.

and before any fanboys get on their high horse, this is not the first crowdfunding project I have been on, but is by far the most annoying. not to mention my efforts in trying to speed along the now apparently shelved Detox enclosure.

I think I have been though 4 of 5 HiFi setups since selling off my original kit 4 years ago in preparation for Westlake products, not that I am a serial upgrader, just that it was a fair drop in performance initially and I have pretty much given up on anything from JW in anything approaching a reasonable or workable timeline and subsequently matched and surpassed my original setup

What was supposed [and promised] to be a performance bargain with state of the art features has just become an irritation with a significant outlay in "limbo".

p.s. if my postings annoy anyone I can be silenced by purchase or re-imbursement of my original outlay :)

I'm onto my third dac since we started , looking forward to the fourth.

sold original Vega, replaced by an MDAC
Sold Merak monos and MDAC to release funds towards Mdac II and VFETS
bought Matrix Mini I with monos - kept 1 year then sold on as needed a phono input
bought a Cyrus One
added Matrix X Sabre Pro
traded both for Auralic Polaris last Feb for a half decent 1 box solution
now awaiting delivery of a Vega G2 to live with Aries G2, Nord 500MkII SE dual mono and Virgo III speakers

I make that 7 DACS, if nothing else John your keeping HiFi upgrade sales booming

Don’t want to appear negative but I’d say heading for 100% not doable but would absolutely love to be wrong. Design isn’t complete, not even a proto working. Given the resources John has at hand it’s just not possible in that time frame. I’ve spent 35 years working in electronics manufacturing so I’ve more than a inkling as to what’s involved here. I’d suggest once John has a fully functioning unit that he’s confident he can manufacture it’ll take several months from that point before we see them.
Ideally what you need to do is build a handful of units and give them to people to use for a couple of months to find any issues and then commit to manufacturing and this all takes time.

The plan is MDAC2 and VFETS this year - I hope that you can start with the MDAC2 which is designed to be upgraded to FDAC once we have the VFETs built.

“I plan to have both the VFET amps and MDAC2 completed and shipped before the end of this year.” Posted in 2015!

Just reading through this thread and seeing other Westlake engineered products coming out with Project etc I’m wondering whether this longed for product is just not a priority, hence the wait for people. I probably would have asked for my investment back some time ago. Alongside this there a products coming out every month from other firms and engineers that would give this gestating product a run for its money anyway. I’m not trying to be provocative but why are people so patient and polite? It appears to be turning into a bit of a nightmare for many investors from this forum. And not sharing information and updates is just unreasonable really given that Dac lovers from this forum have funded these seemingly endless experiments. He is clearly a talented engineer but I’m not so sure about his ability to communicate with his main investors. Curious really.

The SPDIF signal is used internally as the audio data path, its the data connection to the ESS9018 - if the MDAC's audio output is OK, then its a very good chance that the SPDIF is OK.

Do you a second DAC you can try with the MDAC SPDIF output?

Sony Bluray to MDAC via Coaxial to Benchmark via Optical/Coaxial: Benchmark input indicator flashing but no audible pops, sounds OK.
Sony Bluray to Benchmark via Coaxial: Benchmark input indicator not flashing, no audible pops, sounds OK.
USBridge to MDAC via USB to Benchmark via Optical/Coaxial: Benchmark input indicator flashing and audible pops.
USBridge to Benchmark via USB: Benchmark input indicator not flashing, no pops, sounds OK.
Macbook Pro to MDAC via USB to Benchmark via Optical/Coaxial: Benchmark input indicator flashing and audible pops.
Macbook Pro to Benchmark via USB: Benchmark input indicator flashing and audible pops.

Benchmark input indicator error code: "Some data corruption is occurring, converter may be interpolating to replace invalid samples, check the cable." I have checked the cable with other connections and used other cable in this connection with the same results.

... probably would have asked for my investment back some time ago. Alongside this there a products coming out every month from other firms and engineers that would give this gestating product a run for its money anyway. I’m not trying to be provocative but why are people so patient and polite? It appears to be turning into a bit of a nightmare for many investors from this forum.
Where have you been for the last x years? Lots of people, myself included, have asked for our money back and been refused. What is anyone supposed to do? I tried, gentle hints, regular prompts, requests, reminder and complaints. That was all years ago.

This project died at least 2-3 years ago, probably longer ago. Success has been just around the corner forever. It never actually gets any closer.

There plainly are a few who continue to believe that everything is rosy, I don’t know whether it’s incurable optimism or an unwillingness to admit they’ve been had. To be honest it’s not 100% surprising because there always was a whiff of cult around these parts.

And to cap it all. If the dac ever does come out I imagine it will cost a fortune.

I have been around and seen this thread but shied away as there appeared to be a lot of anger. Sorry that you’ve not been able to claim back your investment. He should be updating all of his investors who have given money based on his reputation, not just Facebook. What a shame as he is clearly an extremely talented guy

What software version do you have installed in the MDAC? - is it reporting USB Buffer Flush?

You should hear this a clicks via the MDAC audio output.

I have been around and seen this thread but shied away as there appeared to be a lot of anger. Sorry that you’ve not been able to claim back your investment. He should be updating all of his investors who have given money based on his reputation, not just Facebook. What a shame as he is clearly an extremely talented guy

I’d say it’s frustration rather than anger. Anyhow there’s been a Facebook update and it appears there _may_ be a more basic MDAC available at lower cost than the full fat version.

I’d say it’s frustration rather than anger. Anyhow there’s been a Facebook update and it appears there _may_ be a more basic MDAC available at lower cost than the full fat version.

Yes latest Facebook post proposes a MDAC 1.5 at lower cost reusing the current front and rear panels. Not clear if this is before or after MDAC 2. I say, don’t use any more brain power on ideas like this!

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back