advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00111011)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My position is up for sale. I invested £300 but will consider any sensible offer.

PM me if interested.

Cheers

John
Sorry we didn’t get a chance to meet up again in Munich. I tried to contact you on the Sunday but unfortunately you’d already left.
I.

Ian,

Also sorry we did not have more time to meet - I was in constant meetings during the show and rather tired and mentally blank in the evening (too tired to make my way down town)...

Just had a power outage due to a storm and so far 5 Pcs of equipment in the lab I know to have been damaged :( - 2 pcs rather important.

Luckily the computer I was working on the PCB design during the storm seems OK....

I repaired a Phone / Camera so can post some Pics of the MDAC2 mechanical s / front panel later today - currently the lab is a complete mess as I pulled out the "storm" damaged units and open them to analyse the damage :(

Just had a power outage due to a storm and so far 5 Pcs of equipment in the lab I know to have been damaged :( - 2 pcs rather important.

Luckily the computer I was working on the PCB design during the storm seems OK....

I repaired a Phone / Camera so can post some Pics of the MDAC2 mechanical s / front panel later today - currently the lab is a complete mess as I pulled out the "storm" damaged units and open them to analyse the damage :(

Was this caused by a power surge or the outage ?. I would have thought you had some kind of surge protector.

Nooo :-( ...UPS needed if that is common occurrence round your parts John

I had an AG500 once, worked very well for all my Source components ...bigger one is the 1500W https://www.powerinspired.com/store/ag1500s-ac-regenerator-1500w-psu-p-2026.html

Are there rackmount ears/brackets available for the MDAC? Either via Lakewest or another source? Thank you.

Are there rackmount ears/brackets available for the MDAC? Either via Lakewest or another source? Thank you.
Due to its form-factor, but more importantly to the considerable heat generated in the audio stage I'd have thought it unlikely. Close confinement would shorten its life-span and heat up anything nearby.

Not that I'm aware of - as the MDAC is too narrow to fit within a rack, you would need a complete mounting frame to extend the front panel size.

I'm thinking that the FDAC would be a standard rack size - 2U or 3U... (Hopefully 2U).

Over the weekend I manged to repair 2 pcs of storm damaged equipment - 2 other units I've ordered parts... (both RF signal generators).

I'm just going to repair a much delayed broken Micro USB jack, then I'll have time to post pictures of the MDAC2 :)

WRT the MDAC2 PCB - I found myself backed into a corner with the main Array PSU so I worked on the Clock section - and completed the Low Phase noise section - 140 components under a 32mm X 36mm Tin shielding enclosure (and 3 of these are "Large" bodied metal Crystals using up about 1/3 of the PCB area under the shielding enclosure).

With the PCB tracking competed to this centered clock section I now know how much area I have remaining on each side for the Array regulators (between the DAC array and Clock section)... so I will now go back to completing the design of these critical Regulators...

I do wonder if simply having a bigger chassis will improve its performance alone (!), with so much packed into that chassis as it stands. Might have to try that myself on arrival.

A wider chassis (FDAC) allows for internal PSU and Real volume knob + (ADC / RIAA option) - nothing else will be compromised with the current smaller MDAC chassis (However, thermals are a concern).

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back