advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00111011)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone could but then risks the possibility Of being banned from the Facebook group like I was. If someone can send them to TonyL he will post the updates.

JohnW,

I'm finding myself in need of a new ethernet to coaxial SPDIF streamer for my DAC. Considering I've sponsored your streamer, do you have any suggestions what I should do/buy now?

JohnW,

I'm finding myself in need of a new ethernet to coaxial SPDIF streamer for my DAC. Considering I've sponsored your streamer, do you have any suggestions what I should do/buy now?

Did you purchase a Ministreamer or DevDAC + Streamer? (or the GBP100 development sponsorship of the MDAC2 streamer)? I'm asking in case you paid for a Ministreamer I'd I've lost you in the system?

What DAC are you using and what sample rates do you need to support?

What streaming service do you use?

John,
I have substituted my 4xHypex nCore amps with a class A/B integrated amplifier (Gryphon Diablo 300).
What a huge SQ improvement, there is nothing the nCores does better except price and uses less power (the new amp uses 200W when idle:oops:)

I am really impressed that the little Pro-Ject DAC and Ministreamer combination can sound this good. Guess the new amps more musical and warmer sound helps compared to the colder sounding digital amp.

My amp upgrade will make the comparison to the VFET amps more interesting:)

Fans of nCore will insist it’s your DAC that you’re hearing and don’t like, but I’ve never enjoyed my NC500 ...waiting for the MDAC2 to prove or disprove this :)

Maybe it is because the Sabre DAC is clinical in its presentation and therefore not a perfect match for nCores.
I expect/hope the MDAC2 to be very different.

Did you purchase a Ministreamer or DevDAC + Streamer? (or the GBP100 development sponsorship of the MDAC2 streamer)? I'm asking in case you paid for a Ministreamer I'd I've lost you in the system?

@JohnW
thank you for your quick response!

I have paid for an MDAC2 Audiophile High Resolution Audio Streamer PCB with HDMI Video implementing a customised RPi CM3 (A03), as described in http://mdac2.lakewestaudio.com/mdac2_streamer.htm.

DAC: Benchmark DAC3 (USB is also available but I would prefer to use Coaxial)
Sample rates: 24/192 is plenty
Streaming service: Roon

Perhaps time to cross-check our payment details:

MDAC2 Streamer PCB £185.00 GBP (May 12, 2017)
FDAC L3 MC/MM Additional option Developement Payment £100.00 GBP (Jan 17, 2016)
L2 (4th) Development Instalment £100.00 (Jan 16, 2016)
FDAC L3 Developement Payment £100.00 GBP (Jan 16, 2016)

Other payments:
9/14/2015 50.00
6/13/2014 100.00
3/31/2014 100.00
12/17/2013 100.00

I'm not sure whether it's one of the above, but I have also paid development fees for one Detox.

Maybe it is because the Sabre DAC is clinical in its presentation and therefore not a perfect match for nCores.
I expect/hope the MDAC2 to be very different.

FWIW I've had Ncores (400, 500 and 1200s) since 2012. It's often the source not the amps that are the issue. Infact most of my system has remained the same for the last 3yrs and with an improved source feed (modified NUC) sounds dramatically better. I can put the old USB source in for a back to back quite easily.

Moving to the 1200s in my case did actually improve things more than i'd like to admit, though (!).

John, how confident are you that you have the correct payment details for the rest of us?
Maybe it is better to wait with asking about payment details to when MDAC2 is ready!

Else this thread will be swamped with everyone asking.

I am sure it will be sorted out when the time comes for MDAC2 production. until then it is just taking up Johns time.

FWIW I've had Ncores (400, 500 and 1200s) since 2012. It's often the source not the amps that are the issue. Infact most of my system has remained the same for the last 3yrs and with an improved source feed (modified NUC) sounds dramatically better. I can put the old USB source in for a back to back quite easily.

Moving to the 1200s in my case did actually improve things more than i'd like to admit, though (!).
I have had the nc400 for about 5 years they substituted Cyrus mono X 300 and that was a big improvement, so the nCores is really good value.

I recently got a Isotek EVO3 Sigmas and that was an improvement with the nCores.
I have not yet tried the Sigmas with the new amp because it might sound worse.

Maybe it is better to wait with asking about payment details to when MDAC2 is ready!

Else this thread will be swamped with everyone asking.

I am sure it will be sorted out when the time comes for MDAC2 production. until then it is just taking up Johns time.

I’m not asking for a detailed breakdown of who’s paid what, but rather a generalised answer as to how accurate his records are.

I tried Ncores vs my Nuerochrome amps, didn't like the HF on the Ncores, bass is phenominal though.

I'm an outsider to this so I know I really shouldn't comment but it's the thread that keeps on giving, for pretty much all the wrong reasons. If I had sponsored this I'd want to know that my money was at least accounted for properly. Given the time that it's been running and things like having to put spare parts into an iPhone before a massiveley technical person can take photographs rings nothing but alarm bells to this particular observer.....

If I had sponsored this I'd want to know that my money was at least accounted for properly.
I am sure that Renata has recorded every payment. But I would not expect that John can answer from the top of his head who payed what without first asking Renata to look it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back