advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00111011)

Status
Not open for further replies.
...well I wonder if John could design something similar later when the Tube option comes round ...the idea seems ‘sound’!

Well i just failed the intelligence test - Camera module arrived for Renata's iPhone and my first thought was to post a picture of how tiny it is (amazing)... but then I don't have a working camera, the reason I needed the new camera module in the first place :D

Obviously I could post a picture of the duff camera after replacement - but as I have to open up the phone (one of the hardest tasks) I might as well replace the battery at the same time - which has not arrived yet...

WRT the Nutube (which at its heart is a VFD panel) - these are REALLY poor tubes and also MASSIVE!!! Once I have a camera (I could always dig up the SLR...) I can post a picture of the tubes used (its tiny, designed to be mounted on the tip of Minuteman missile).

Here's a Pic I found of the tubes on the net:-

https://www.flickr.com/photos/triodeandco/2193177923?ytcheck=1&new_session=1

...well I wonder if John could design something similar later when the Tube option comes round ...the idea seems ‘sound’!

There is a Tube option on the highest build version of the PCB for MDAC2 - but these will be a limited special order, available as an option with Advanced clock option II boards. Due to the extra testing / work /cost involved these will be a very limited SE version.

I have 1K tubes instock to be shared with the VFET project.

Rjpcardoso and Steve,

VFETS will follow the MDAC2 - which is rapidly approaching completion - followed by FDAC.

The highest build MDAC2 PCB can be transferred with upgraded PSU etc. into FDAC chassis.

The VFET's are a much easier project then the MDAC2 - and will be out later this year.

Advanced Detox has now been integrated into the Advanced versions of MDAC2 / FDAC.

The MDAC2 has been designed to support the digital / clock interface for the DAC Array version of the VFETs (where the DAC array is part of the VFET Gain stage. the VFET will be offered in Analogue of Digital input versions (user upgradable).

putting all my donations up for transfer [if that's the right term]

so a place in the Fdac queue #7 last time I looked [full spec with a further 2 donations to the detox]
plus VFETS

after many years of waiting and downscaling in preparation, I have now purchased new kit.
so although I may regret losing out on a performance bargain I have to draw a line under this somehow
no offensive offers please

Feel your pain StephenB, I'm sick of the delays and I'm only in for the FDAC.
This whole episode is appalling and is an example of what happens when the person holding all the strings decides to do what ever they like with a total disregard for the people who have invested substantial amounts of money in good faith. How many changes in direction has this project seen, the majority of which no-one other than John had a say in?
Where are we now 6 years down the road?
In my opinion we're no closer to getting a product than we were 6 years ago. I've seen all the many renderings and samples over the years, just like the latest to appear at Munich (which to date only a select few people have seen) so one more 'sample' doesn't fill me with any confidence we're imminently about to see a product appear. Let's face facts, NASA sent men to the moon quicker and we'll probably be sending men to Mars before this sorry tale comes to a conclusion.

Some of the design decisions are really bad, if you are going over budget why add a custom made high def LCD panel?, the original OLED one was fine, why a streamer if going over budget, why custom made transformers?, It looks like it's morphed into a vanity project rather than a single board upgrade people originally ponied up for.

The irony is that I’m currently using a DAC that John designed (Pro-Ject Pre Box S2) that had a gestation period that was a fraction of this one.

It will never happen, but if John wrote off the project (no pun intended) and offered people a refund of 50% of their initial investment I wonder how many people would accept that? I’d be sorely tempted.

From the lack of updates here and on Facebook I assume John is currently working on other projects.

I think Jarek was sick, so this has caused a delay recently

I still believe we will get something special from John after all the years, but I do understand the frustration...I’m listening to music on an ARCAM AVR450 which is not blowing me away and don’t want to buy something else as a stop gap for in the interim :)

thanks for the support, but can we mediate a tad so as not to scare off interested parties :)

at the very least we must be closer to the finished items than when I signed up.

I just don't see anything John is in process of completing that will outperform my soon to be completed system

otherwise I'd still be staying on board till the bitter end.

Stephen, while I sympathise with you on how much money you have invested I still think John needs to be reminded on a regular basis that nearly 6 years down the line he has failed to deliver M-DAC / F-DAC / V-FET or DETOX. These are the products we all signed up for.

We, as a community, are partly to blame for this as we have not collectively held him to account, it has been left to one or two individuals to poke him with a stick every few months to get an update and for 6 years that update has been 'it'll be ready soon'. I've lost count of the number of times we're been told 'it'll be ready by Munich / end of summer / end of the year / in X months'. I remember about 4 years ago a sceptic amongst us joked we might have product by 2017. Some joke.

In my opinion John's lack of communication on this forum for the past 2 or 3 years, where he 'sold' his idea, show's the contempt he has for his investors. I don't once recall him apologising for the multitude of missed delivery dates but will correct this statement if it proves to be incorrect, it may be I have a poor memory.

If he considers you remind him too much he puts you in ignore, like me. I think he only listens to the true believers for whom he can do no wrong.

I know I'm on his ignore list, I'm also banned from the facebook group for being an agitator. Another example of the contempt he has for anyone who dares question what he's doing.

From the lack of updates here and on Facebook I assume John is currently working on other projects.

Very much been working on the MDAC2 Analogue board - its my only project, although when needed I help Jarek whose working on designs to keep funds coming in while I get MDAC2 completed.

Not posting much as progress is slow, i lost 3 weeks work just before Munich as I didn't think something out clearly (position of tubes under vent holes).

The progress stalled due to lack of PCB track space - last week I re-positioned the Modulator connector and progress is now flowing once again.

Ordering long lead times parts weekly... so I am mentally moving towards the build stage.

Software company should start on front panel software this week.

Maybe today the Camera parts should arrive and I can take pictures of the Dummy unit (Completed mechanically).

PCB's for the digital / software development board arrived last week (software house has something to work with for the moment) - but still waiting on a component order so not built them yet, anyway I really want to get the current section of the PCB design completed before diverting my attention to anything else.

I'll breath a big sigh of relief once the PCB design of the Analogue (Array) regulator section is completed.... they are REALLY a pain to design - I've ripped the design op a handful of times now as its not worked out... but feel I'm on the correct path now... (ask in about 3 weeks).

Not much to report - just working away...

I just don't see anything John is in process of completing that will outperform my soon to be completed system

otherwise I'd still be staying on board till the bitter end.

I don't think there is a DAC at ANY price point that will touch the sonic performance of the MDAC2... I really don't... and I'll stand by this claim...

I don't think there is a DAC at ANY price point that will touch the sonic performance of the MDAC2... I really don't... and I'll stand by this claim...

and there is my point in a nutshell, all you have is claims John, nothing delivered that I signed up for.

again no empathy whatsoever to tier 1 investors

if you had read my post fully instead of just knee jerking a response to appease your fans, I would have left this alone but your childish comments are all you seem to be able to accomplish these days

yes I know I've probably now scared of any interested parties, but jeez man get a grip on the situation you have created.

John,
Put remember to send CM3 card to Rune on your todo list:)

Noted - will do, Please PM your address and I'll post tomorrow (Hitting the sack now as not slept since yesterday) :)

Components arrived so will build the software development PCB's when I wake...

So the MDAC box is not a TARDIS and the extra things most people didn't want won't fit, who would of thought that?.

One should avoid picturing a land which can never be reached, and arousing hopes never to be fulfilled, for the indulgence only makes existence harder.

Haniel Long

I can't help but feel John is HiFi's answer to W.Eugene Smith, or Herzog's Fitzcarraldo (a lot of analogies here!)

They pulled the steamship over the hill in the end!

fitzcarraldo.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back