advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00111010)

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are 168 members which I’m guessing is more or less all the people who’ve paid and use Facebook.

In this situation, the difference between 'more or less all' and 'all' might be quite significant.

As for myself, I do have a Facebook account and I am a member of the group, but I haven't posted any criticism on Facebook because I assumed John could throw me off the group. (To be absolutely precise, the foregoing applied only until the Cambridge Analytica thing blew up, since when I haven't used Facebook at all.)

I really depends on what you use Facebook for if things like Cambridge Analytica should worry you.
If you only participate in the LakeWest group and nothing else and do not post anything on your page.
Then what is there to worry about?

I really depends on what you use Facebook for if things like Cambridge Analytica should worry you.
If you only participate in the LakeWest group and nothing else and do not post anything on your page.
Then what is there to worry about?

I never said I was worried. I think you have the wrong end of the stick.

I wonder if that's because more information is shared there, or because for some reason people are more timid when it's a bit closer to their "identity".
The Facebook group was created to make a safe space where John could avoid being criticised. He said as much himself.
In fact he said as much about a page ago.
Either way, I personally have been able to take anything from John in the way of delays and redesigns, but the thing that's really bothered me is him vanishing off to Facebook. We are either customers, or we're sponsors. You shouldn't treat customers or sponsors like that IMHO. He isn't seeing it from other people's point of view, or he is but he doesn't give a damn.
That is putting it mildly

I’m only in for the MDAC (it’s the FDAC really, but there’s no way I’m going to wait for that to appear, I’m in my 60s).

What I find surprising, and disappointing, is that John’s still working on the design. I’d have thought after four, or five years the design would be nailed down long ago and we’d have moved on to getting the actual production process sorted out. I think all, or most, were happy enough when John first changed the design for something that he thought was better, but by now the novelty of a constantly changing design has worn off - for me at least.
In his last post John apparently hopes to issue pcb files in about 30 days.
Haven’t we already seen pcb files 2 years ago, or is my memory playing tricks on me. I think that that was in the days when the whole thing was going to be going into production after Chinese New Year.
At this stage I’m not even sure if I’ll buy the board when it eventually becomes available (I’m actually still confident that something will eventually appear).
the board?
Is there a board? Afaik it’s now 4 boards and a case.

For MDAC2 DD2A PCB design, I'm struggling with a physical space issue on the righthand side discrete DAC array due to space limitations caused by the front panel headphone jack intruding into the DAC section on the PCB - would it be really bad if we blanked the front panel headphone Jack and moved it to the rear? A black rubber blanking cover can be placed over the hole on the front panel.

The balanced headphone jack is on the rear (I would place the 6.3mm Jack next to it) - and we will make the headphones selectable via long press on the Volume Button.

I appreciate having the 6.3mm headphone jack on the rear panel is not ideal, but I'd have to compromise so much of the nicely designed DAC array to fit it "around" the headphone jack.

The planned front panel update requires the jack on the rear due to almost 100% display coverage over the front panel - leaving no space for the headphone jack...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/95mfky0j29zomqj/MDAC2 1.jpg?dl=0

Last edited:
Just read on FB that this i applicable for those that want to use the MDAC as donor.

But I guess moving headphone jack to the rear does sounds like a small sacrifice.

For MDAC2 DD2A PCB design, I'm struggling with a real space issue on the righthand side discrete DAC array due to space limitations caused by the front panel headphone jack crashing into the DAC section on the PCB - would it be really bad if we blanked the front panel headphone Jack and moved it to the rear? A black rubber blanking cover can be placed over the hole on the front panel.

The balanced headphone jack is on the rear (I would place the 6.3mm Jack next to it) - and we will make the headphones selectable via long press on the Volume Button.

I appreciate having the 6.3mm headphone jack on the rear panel is not ideal, but I'd have to compromise so much of the nicely designed DAC array to fit it "around" the headphone jack.

The planned front panel update requires the jack on the rear due to almost 100% display coverage over the front panel - leaving no space for the headphone jack...

Rear would be fine by me for headphone jack.

For MDAC2 DD2A PCB design, I'm struggling with a physical space issue on the righthand side discrete DAC array due to space limitations caused by the front panel headphone jack intruding into the DAC section on the PCB - would it be really bad if we blanked the front panel headphone Jack and moved it to the rear? A black rubber blanking cover can be placed over the hole on the front panel.

I use headphones quite alot due to pressure from the family. Headphone jack only on the back is a small grievance but nothing too serious. Also the option with balanced connection compensates alot. This solution would be fine also by me.

My headphones are Quad ESL's which require no jack, so I am easy. :)

You and me both :) - Well Martin Logans - but we are Brothers in arms here :)

BTW. That pair of ElectroMotions from the US arrived just smashed too pieces - so bad that one of wooded cabinets was even cracked across its base - but can believe that the ESL panels themselves where OK!!!

So I made a Hybrid out of my Hybrid speakers - I transferred the ElectroMorion ESL panels into my Aeons (that had bad ESL panels) the ElectroMorion ESL panels are about 145mm shorter then the original Aeons but same curve so a little bit of wood work and the panels are now installed :)

I guess the world first pair of Aeons with the latest Martin Logan XStat panels - and they do sound rather good even with the original Aeon crossover :) so finally I now have a pair of ESL's that work "OK"in the Lab :) getting ready to listen to the MDAC2 and 8200MBX's :)

Put that in the FaceBook chat, perhaps it could be ...assume John has something aligned with his chassis vendor for the Universal chassis though

Hi John,

As you say, not ideal, but I'll accept the headphone jack on the rear panel. Anything now to expedite production and delivery.

Roger.

Saw the FB post that new sample of DETOX chassis came in and was significant improvement over the first which is great news.

Are chassis' going to be ordered based on the current quality?

Since the chassis has been the hinge pin of DETOX production, any thoughts on ETA of DETOX shipment?

Do you have a updated price for the DETOX based on chassis cost incl est'd reject rate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back