advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00111010)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone.

I would appreciate some help related to calculation I'm struggling with.
I'm trying to figure out formula to determine (calculate) the maximum DAC volume-out (decibel) level to be on the safe side in my system (not to blow out my speakers).

My intention is to feed my NCore NC500 based monos directly from MDAC's XLR outputs, and I'm worried since amps are much more powerful than my current speakers.

Amps: 400W@8ohm rated, 26 dB gain, input impedance 51KOhms
Speakers: nominal impedance 8Ohms (min.3.2Ohms), sensitivity 87db, recommended max power 180W

Sorry for being off-topic again. :)

I have this problem with my nc500 too and the biggest concern is that music (and movies) are recorded at different volumes ...sometimes for music 20/100 on my OPPO gives me a headache, other times 50/100 is just about medium volumes ...if I had my time over I’d gotten nc400 (or not nCore at all)!

With Ncores and those speakers you'll likely be running around -20 for quiet, -15 for decent and -10 for headbanging. depends on room size etc and the recording level. depends on rca or balanced out as well, 3db different. so-23 etc on xlr

My intention is to feed my NCore NC500 based monos directly from MDAC's XLR outputs, and I'm worried since amps are much more powerful than my current speakers.

I used to run my Quad 989's direct from Ncores via MDAC XLR, mine are the NC400 but should be similar and as Sq. says you will be running at around -15/20 db.

The legend that is archimago already measured the pi USB as clean.

I have an Allo USBridge which comes with an RPI3 SBC. The SBC itself is a bit more optimised than usual compared to the RPI3 from a noise perspective. The dedicated USB HAT is fully optimised for noise. Simply swapping out the USB connection between the two reveals the SBC alone is not all that clean...

I'm all for measurements, but archimago's often aren't good enough!

I have an Allo USBridge which comes with an RPI3 SBC. The SBC itself is a bit more optimised than usual compared to the RPI3 from a noise perspective. The dedicated USB HAT is fully optimised for noise. Simply swapping out the USB connection between the two reveals the SBC alone is not all that clean...

My picoreplayer is audio optimized disabling the WiFi to stop interference with the USB. It would be great to hear the difference.

I don’t think so. Are we supposed to be expecting the detox USB hub or the mdac 2 next? Someone will know.
AFAIK what we were supposed to be waiting for was the final quote on the chassis for the detox.

Simply swapping out the USB connection between the two reveals the SBC alone is not all that clean...
How does it reveal this? All results are somewhat Dac dependent. Over at AudioScience Review Amir has had fun pointing out that various foo streaming devices have worse results than his laptop, but
a. the differences are inaudible
b. they depend on the method of powering the foo streamer bad psu tend to be the cause- but note this does not mean cheap vs expensive or linear vs switchmode, although.
c. they reduce or disappear with a competent dac.

I use a DAC/Heapdhone amp for my PC and my motherboard allows me to turn the 5v power off on specific USB ports it has (they're called DAC UP 2 ports, of course!). Think Amir from AudioScience would consider that a worthwhile exercise? Honestly I can't tell, but I do it anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back