advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00111010)

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's the case for the DevDAC, right?
I believe it’s the Universal MDAC2 Chassis ...hopefully assuming the DEVDAC if it has to happen first, will fit into that too :)

From what we’ve gathered John says the FDAC will be able to retrofit the MDAC2 board; FDAC will have more digital features and other addons

In fact pics are from devdac II + Streamer. I know Devdac (I'm in), MDAC2 & FDAC (I'm in too) but i've never heard of a second devdac iteration. It show that things are moving under the curtain.

Bests

I think the problem John has is, for him, this is a hobby project where he has cost and time constraints removed, meaning he feels free to wander around doing what's interesting. Most of the people that ponied up cash recognise that to some extent but think four years and lots of sidetracks later is too much. I was working on a leak 20 refurb the other day and realised I had started it around the time of the MDAC2, during that time I had been sidetracked and designed and built one class A SiCFET amplifier, a current dumping amplifier, class A bipolar amplifier an RIAA phono amplifier, sidetracked with a microcontroller light control project and an unfinished TDA1541A DAC design...,now that's fine coz it's my money but I would imagine if someone had paid me to refurb the leak they would be mighty fed up by now.

Hi all. I've been periodically checking in on this thread for the last couple of years and it's evolution has been intersting to say the least.

I own an unmodified MDAC and I am still very happy with it. I'd like to upgrade and am not looking to replace it with a differnt unit, and so my simple question is can I?

I started by looking at external PSU upgrades but soon came to the conclusion that given the quality of the exisitng internal PSU any real (and value for money) upgrade here could only achieved by modification of the said internal PSU gubbins (not simply by changing the external stuff with e.g. MCRU PSU). And, if I were to go that far, then I might go as far as to upgrade other internal bits that i've seen old discussion on in thsi thread.

So, are the internal mods available now that the whole MDAC arena has moved on to the MDAC2? And if so, how do I go about getting them?

Sorry for the deviation guys, into an area that is probably well worn and old by now.

Thanks a lot anyway.

Or perhaps an ability to look at things in an objective manner having no emotional attachment to the subject under discussion.
I do not see any of those which has no horse in this race being more objective. I see the contrary and it is the usual suspects.

It could also be that those of us that have spend time with John are more objective. I must admit it makes me sad reading some of the accusations made in this thread especially by the usual suspects.

with a sense of depressingly inevitability, been waiting on this post livening up after the usual long period of inactivity, sadly its just another cycle of this ongoing saga :(

for me [and you can all take your own views ]

Until I have either a Detox, Vfets or FDAC L3 in my hands its going to take a mighty strong argument to convince me I have not been conned, or a the very least tricked into bankrolling someone's hobby

neither scenario makes for a pleasant experience after 4-5 years financial involvement, I have purchased other hi-fi items via crowdfunding which have evolved exactly as predicted by vendors

my only other take on this, is someone with the skills to design some excellent kit, but zero commercial awareness coupled with lack of basic consideration for his tier 1 investors.

by that I mean making false promises on deliverables, the most recent one likely on 1st page of this very thread, believe me I would live to be proved wrong, but even if it does arrive in the 60 days stated, it doesn't address what I signed up for.

I’ve deleted a number of posts. pfm is allowing this thread to run to allow those who have paid money to continue their dialogue with the designer in the expectation that what has been promised will be delivered. If you don’t have a horse in the race please refrain from commenting.

Take solice in recent fb posts. There's case work samples aplenty and boards will be next.

Thanks, I'm grateful to you for sharing this. I really don't understand why we can't have a few more updates from the horse's mouth about the progress. Paying customers like me without Facebook are rather in the dark.

I’ve deleted a number of posts. pfm is allowing this thread to run to allow those who have paid money to continue their dialogue with the designer in the expectation that what has been promised will be delivered. If you don’t have a horse in the race please refrain from commenting.

Why not put the thread in the Trade Discussion forum? Why should trade members be protected from legitimate comment by censoring sceptical or critical views? Lakewest already have a closed group on Facebook restricted to those who have paid their money (and those who have taken it). You should allow free comment or none at all.

Why not put the thread in the Trade Discussion forum? Why should trade members be protected from legitimate comment by censoring sceptical or critical views? Lakewest already have a closed group on Facebook restricted to those who have paid their money (and those who have taken it). You should allow free comment or none at all.

This is clearly a sensitive issue as quite a few pfm members have money invested. As such the moderation intent at this point is merely to allow these stakeholders to retain a public platform. This whole thing has gone on far too long to be a general discussion thread, and as such different rules apply.

Those who do not respect this decision will be removed from the thread. It is not up for debate.

Fair comments Tony, you are in an awkward position. The problem is investors who ask questions here and are not on Facebook get their questions ignored by the bloke who has their money. It stinks.

Fair comments Tony, you are in an awkward position. The problem is investors who ask questions here and are not on Facebook get their questions ignored by the bloke who has their money.

I’ve no idea about the current situation as I’m not on the Facebook group, but this thread is (very!) public, and if John Westlake cares about his reputation at all he will post updates right here as this site is read by thousands and thousands of people right across the planet and this thread has the potential of becoming a career albatross for him. I will not delete it until people have what they ordered and paid for, though I will keep it free of trolling and rubber-necking so as it is a fair, open and decent place for him to respond. pfm has provided a perfectly balanced and well moderated platform for both sides in this transaction and will continue to do so no matter how much moderation it requires.

PS Yes, technically this should really be in the trade discussion area, though it was originally started by a pfm member, not John, and has historically always been here so it makes no real sense to relocate it now at this late stage. I sincerely hope there will be a resolution soon and the whole thing can be put to rest/hoofed into the centre of the sun. I get the impression from Simon’s pictures above that some hardware now exists so lets just keep it quiet, polite and on the rails for a while longer and hopefully the stuff will be finished and shipped.

Just to correct: Anyone on Facebook can join the group - I have, and I’ve paid no money, so it’s not a restricted closed group only for those that have paid.

Just to correct: Anyone on Facebook can join the group - I have, and I’ve paid no money, so it’s not a restricted closed group only for those that have paid.

Though it does require joining Facebook, which many people these days are not prepared to do given the recent record of political data-mining etc. I’ve seen a fair few Facebook ‘friends’ close accounts etc since the Cambridge Analytica scandal. John’s customers are here on pfm, not there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back