advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00111001)

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are approach the stage where Ministreamer and DevDAC will ship so there is nothing wrong in talking about the next steps with Detox - it has been promised next.

Or "Once these 6 Beta Ministreamer are shipped next week I'll start the ball rolling on the Detox." from February 26th.

As stated above it has indeed always been very clear :)

Jadidih :)

As far as I'm aware I've always been very clear :) Ministreamer, DevDAC then Detox.

We are approach the stage where Ministreamer and DevDAC will ship so there is nothing wrong in talking about the next steps with Detox - it has been promised next.

Mnistreamer, Devdac first, exactly! You have not finished either and you are talking about something else. I don't mean to be out of order here but you have a tendancy to forget about current projects every time you have a new idea. I do NOT want a repeat of that.

Please put all efforts on current projects. You promised these two products FIVE months ago. Personally hearing you talk about another project is really pissing me off.

I agreed to pay in full for ministreamer+DEVDAC+MDAC2 streamer as a way to help you get your production going and now you keep breaking your promises. I feel really let down when you start talking about run of another product.

I repeat, where are we with ministreamer and DEVDAC?

John can you please send the Detox chassis drawing to StephenB so he can calculate what it will cost?

So we can get some facts on the table instead of guesswork.

Rune,

I need Jarek to make a few adjustments to the Detox drawings, but MiniStreamer firmware is priority ATM. As soon as hes done with the firmware we will look at the Detox drawings. I had hope to work on them this weekend, but we Mini-streamer code kept us busy.

It’s probably our fault bringing up the Detox casing which has derailed conversations slightly ;-) sorry

Paul,

Not at all, its about the correct timing to start thinking about Detox production as my work on the Ministreamer / DevDAC is wrapping up.

Re Detox casing: I need a USB DAC before Detox can be of any use (and possibly, the streamer makes Detox obsolete for me anyways...).
;)

Rune,

I need Jarek to make a few adjustments to the Detox drawings, but MiniStreamer firmware is priority ATM. As soon as hes done with the firmware we will look at the Detox drawings. I had hope to work on them this weekend, but we Mini-streamer code kept us busy.
Fair enough! I fully agree that firmware has first priority so the streamer can be shipped.

Hi John,

How's work going with the 'get you going software"?

What's involved with getting ROON Certification?

Early engineering units will be released with a "get you going software" that supports:-

● Playback of all major file formats: PCM up to 24bits / 384 kHz DSD128 (DSD256 Native should also work)
● Playback from local storage, from USB drive or NAS
● Dirble and Shoutcast WebRadio directories
● Bluetooth playback support
● UPNP renderer capability
● ROON Ready Endpoint (requires ROON Certification)
● CD Playback and ripping support
● Favourites and playlists handling
● Multi-device selection from UI
● Multi-language UI
● First configuration Wizard
● CD Audio Playback
● Local file playback from internal Memory with some form of file management. Local file playback from internal memory working on current release. Ability to delete files and folders from User interface will be added later.

STREAMING SERVICES :

The following streaming services integration are available
- TIDAL
- Spotify

These early units are for not intended for general pubic release at this time - but for those who are technically competent with Linux and understand that the software / hardware is work in progress - they should also be located in Europe if a hardware update / modification is required.

Simon,

Lead software contender at the moment is OpenHome - the original "Spec" was based on Volumio but we are facing serve issues with software stability... I've yet to see a stable release from Volumio that passes my basic "5 Minute test" - that is to be able to use the software for 5 minutes without encountering a bug, crash or some other stability issue.

MA is working on Volumio and I'm open to be convinced...

In our test OpenHome is really stable - fast and responsive so ATM is the software of choice....

Roon certification is not nessesary. RoonBridge can be install.

I am pretty sure that those of us that will be running Roon or squezelite (the streamer works as a headless squeezebox) will not have any problems. I will also test Spotify connect.
I have this working on a RPI so I cannot see any issues getting this working on the streamer as it is basically a RPI.

I will test above when I get my Beta streamer and later DEVDAC. Will also test LMS on the streamer to verify it works, not for myself because I think it is better to run the server and client on different devices. But I know there are some of you that are one box do it all obsessed :)

The issue is those that want to use it as a computer (John ;)) which will never be my use case or run one of the MPD flavors (Volumio, moOde, RuneAudio etc.) I will also not use it as a CD player, ripper, youtube etc. If you want this you have the same issues that every distribution on RPI has.

Squeezebox and RoonBridge is 100% stable.
Keep it simple!

Rune,

if the changes are internal just give me finished external width depth and height so I can get an idea of billet required

Thanks for drawing attention to this, but I think John would be more likely to call it "Mdac0.5". However, it, and the cheaper DAC Box S2+, which looks as if it is just the front half of the Pre Box, do have DSD capability. Either might be a cheapo way of trying out a Westlake design of DSD compatible box while we wait for the real Mdac2. John, when you have time (!), any comments?

Daft question perhaps, but why the streamer? I already have a perfectly decent streamer and I’m sure so have most. What will it do that (say) a Logitech Squeezebox Touch (with EDO mod) won’t?

I just want an MDAC2. All this other stuff is just fannying about IMHO....

Could it be that Pro-Ject are interested in a proposal for a streamer? And that that would help to fund the continuing development and component-purchasing for all the other projects?

Daft question perhaps, but why the streamer? I already have a perfectly decent streamer and I’m sure so have most. What will it do that (say) a Logitech Squeezebox Touch (with EDO mod) won’t?

I just want an MDAC2. All this other stuff is just fannying about IMHO....

My understanding is that the first version of the MDAC 2 to be released (I think there will be 3) uses the processing power of the streamer in the DA conversion.

I think it’s also used in the new touch controlled front panel - but that’s not been mentioned for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back