advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00111001)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Detox with case here.

I thought the compartmentalised screening was fundamental to the original design and one of its selling points? Now we seem to be being told it isn’t important. If it’s not important stick the thing in a tin box and get it shipped.
It's not at all that the case is not important. No one has said that. It is that it is going to take too long to ship if we wait for John to produce a chassis. So the suggestion is to get that last step of the project done ourselves. And if you think John will ship his design in any old crappy tin box, then you underestimate John's standards - it will not happen.

I have not responded on the google chart, because I have difficulty seeing how this will get the Detox side project finished.
To me it seem that it is the chassis that is holding this up and there is just to much uncertainty with getting it produced in China and fear that it will not hit a certain price point because of QC.

A DIY Detox will just postpone any decisions re detox chassis. I rather see that we take Stephen up on his offer to calculate what it will cost.

I know that it will not be cheap, but it will happen. I rather make a decision based on something real and pay more to see it happening.

Then I/we can make a decision based on a real figure and delivery date.

Steve,

NOBODY has said for ONE SECOND that RF screening is not important for the full performance of DETOX, but that's not so say that it cannot be used without the chassis and still gain a decent level of Detox'ing.

Please ONLY post if your interested in a PCB only ATM - if the numbers justify a "production run" ahead of sourcing the chassis then I can take that into consideration (I need to consider the component cost impact oi a lower Qty component order)...

Could we please wait for the quote from StephenB before rushing into the next thing?

I don't think it has any impact on those who would be happy with just a PCB.... I need to build initial T0 production units (prototype Production) building 2 or 20 makes little difference the time is in loading and programming the SMT machine - which takes 3-4 days, so to at least building a few mote units helps to justify the time spent...

I'm pretty certain the European cost is going to be over GBP250 if not more...

Hi John

How much is this DETOX PCB going to cost roughly at this juncture?

Also has that dual purpose PSU that you designed for the MDAC + DETOX now been abandoned?

Many thanks

Paul

A google chart just seems to muddy the waters further and provide additional opportunities for confusion and obfuscation.
A detox in a case (even if it turns out to be a tad pricey) fitting the original design brief; would be a small crumb of comfort to those whose infinite patience has been stretched to breaking point. So rather than continually procrastinating over QC etc, we have a proposed route map which would allow those who have actually stumped up some cash, to enable this to happen, get our sweaty mitts on something.
Its been a long ride and I for one would like to get off at some point...

Paul,

The only costings I have for Detox are based on PCB and Chassis manufactured in Asia - with the components purchased in Europe I expect the costing going to be "shocking" by comparison. I hope to take some of the sting out of the extra cost by in house production.

The most costly components will be the multitude of magnetic components manufactured by Coilcraft (and others). As it happens I plan to meet with Colicraft who will be attending a local electrics show here in the Czech rep. towards the end of the week. I"ll try to arrange a package price for the magnetic's - this I hope will help reduce the European "premiums".

I'm pretty certain the European cost is going to be over GBP250 if not more...

If this is for the complete unit with a European sourced CNC chassis of some sort then I'm OK with that. However I do need a chassis of some sort, but like somebody said it will be placed out of sight so the 'bling factor' is not important to me. The bare PCB is my last resort.

I'd prefer to see all the cost options first, my system is mostly DIY so fitting in a box is not a big issue.

Thanks John, I’ll let you know if I’m still in for a DETOX depending on how much the final tally will be...expensive holiday for Wife has left me slightly AV compromised, for a while!

Best regards

If this is for the complete unit with a European sourced CNC chassis of some sort then I'm OK with that. However I do need a chassis of some sort, but like somebody said it will be placed out of sight so the 'bling factor' is not important to me. The bare PCB is my last resort.

No, I SUSPECT it would be GBP250 for the chassis here in Europe - if not more...

Last edited:
No, I SUSPECT it would be JUST for the chassis here in Europe - if not more...

The price of this chassis will need some 'foo' justification...perhaps some spiked feet to passively radiate away RF or ionise the air?

I'll buy it then...:D

Could we please wait for the quote from StephenB before rushing into the next thing?

+1 I think exploring the options on the producing the original design other than in China are important to making a decision. The CNC's chassis purposely designed with intent of shielding various parts of the circuitry from one another, the world, etc. was a significant factor in my decision to support the DETOX design. I trialed the original REGEN and sent it back since it actually negatively impacted the sound quality of MY system but I know there are (many) others who feel otherwise. The new and improved IsoREGEN is now offered at $325 but is package in a more elegant extruded case than the original dongle but still not "Apple" quality.

I personally am not particularly interested in my DIYing a case for the DETOX and am not excited about the prospect of getting a "board in a (non-conductive) bag" after waiting 2 1/2 years.

Just my 2p.

^^ I think most mean getting the DETOX board now and professional case later, so at least something is in your hands to play with (or just to stash in your drawer until some creative genius can offer something at sane prices too) :)

Paul,

The only costings I have for Detox are based on PCB and Chassis manufactured in Asia - with the components purchased in Europe I expect the costing going to be "shocking" by comparison. I hope to take some of the sting out of the extra cost by in house production.

The most costly components will be the multitude of magnetic components manufactured by Coilcraft (and others). As it happens I plan to meet with Colicraft who will be attending a local electrics show here in the Czech rep. towards the end of the week. I"ll try to arrange a package price for the magnetic's - this I hope will help reduce the European "premiums".

John,

What the hell! Before you get carried away with this you MUST finish ministreamer, DEVDAC and MDAC2 Streamer. Forgive me for being frank but you have to stop this bullshit side-tracking.

Where are we with ministreamer? You were going to send out an email yesterday.

Focus John, please!

Jadidih :)

As far as I'm aware I've always been very clear :) Ministreamer, DevDAC then Detox.

We are approach the stage where Ministreamer and DevDAC will ship so there is nothing wrong in talking about the next steps with Detox - it has been promised next.

Ministreamer are ready built, theirs nothing more I can do with them until the firmware is debugged - yesterday Jarek found an issue with the calibration routine (negative offsets caused an error)- I'm hoping to get the corrected software tonight.

WRT the Minostreamer - the bootloader issue has still not be resolved, although we understand the reason - but not the solution yet.

So the options are :-

1. Ship Ministreamer within the next 48 hours (without the possibility for the owner to update the firmware (This does not effect the flashing of Streamer software)).

2. Wait until Jarek resolves the Bootloader issue.

Personally I'd like to ship your unit so you leave me alone about it!!! (I can reflash your unit at Munich if your back in Europe by then with the latest firmware (and I'm sure working bootloader)) for others I suggest waiting for the boot-loader, but each to there own choice.

Once Jareks forwarded working MiniStreamer firmware - he will get the Detox 3D files to Stephen - I've not asked him for them yet as he has his hands full with the Ministreamer firmware.

I'm just about to run a pair of MDAC2 streamer PCB's this evening - I've just completed programming of the SMD machine - but then Jarek needs to do his magic with the Firmware...

With the hardware built I'm BASICALLY waiting for Jarek - so I HAVE the time to work on Detox now (well once MDAC2 streamer boards are built this evening)...

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back