advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00111001)

Status
Not open for further replies.
OH, I understood that you had a CNC workshop - otherwise its POINTLESS going to such an operation as above - there cost will be in the GBP500 ball park WITHOUT finishing - there is a lot of machining on the Detox - was it like 60 screw threads IIRC - and there is post CNC'ing after anodising to expose the conductive mating surfaces...

Now I'm getting all depressed again as I suspect Chine will be the only real option... even if we have to factor a 50% reject rate, I suspect the price will still be cheaper then European pricing :(

I do work in a CNC workshop with 5 axis capability in addition to 3 Hurco VMC42, I am a mechanical design engineer and design and quote for this type of stuff all the time, a few years back I generated the 3d models and detail drawings for someone wanting to house some N-Cores in a bespoke fully machined chassis

was merely offering another option as at every juncture of this process that doesn't directly involve pcb design you are being stalled

tbh I'm so annoyed at this whole affair I thought long and hard about even offering this, so my motivation is purely trying to get something moving in return for my investment, I'm not saying we will be cheap, but I can offer a figure that some people might be prepared to work with.

as regards finishing, a basic bead blast and hard black anodising will not be expensive, I reckon somewhere between 6-12 chassis can be hung on the anodising tree , and it costs us about £60 for a batch of similar items

preparation is most likely going to cost more in time but that all depends on the final finish you want

I don't think everyone is demanding an Apple quality product, so why hold up the process if the consensus is a product that appearance wise is less than perfection ?

I wont be displaying the box in full view if I can tuck it away somewhere out of sight

Who cares about bead blast and anodizing I'll take a raw finish.

Sadly I can see the Detox never proceeding due to case issues, when the truth is it doesn't need a case as complex as this to do it's job, there's plenty of USB isolators out there with broad bandwidth shielding in nowhere near as complex a box.

If the 'airtight' case is so important to the SQ then lets see the measurements with and without...

Cos frankly I'd take mine in a shoe box.

Will it be possible to make those individual screens from tinplate? That for some could be diy job for weekend and if looks is important, can make some external case where to put it.

At the very least John W could get a price (off forum) and then tell investors the implications?

Great initiative Stephen. I also won’t need perfect finish and rather pay a bit more for this really happening in the near future.
I have already expressed my approval of a CNC'd chassis as originally designed by John to be essentially a component of the design.

Assuming the warts do not impact this functionality, I again would accept less than Apple quality assuming that is the benchmark?!

Personally I'm quite happy to take just the detox PCB and sort out my own case.

At least we could be offered the choice, Detox with CNS chassis, or just Detox assembled PCB without any case / chassis.

At least we could be offered the choice, Detox with CNS chassis, or just Detox assembled PCB without any case / chassis.
It will be difficult to get the same compartment i a non CNC chassis for Detox. So think the only shortcut is the finish does not have to be perfect.
Most important is that we get the ball rolling.

OK, Noted - I could maybe consider running a batch of PCB's and the customer installs it into a chassis when they are available.

The complication is the main regulator is mounted onto the chassis base for heatsinking, I'd need to consider a method to heating that can be removed when the chassis are ready...

Good move John. There are solutions.

This was always mainly a diy community. How about leaving us to choose, procure and fit a heatsink. Leave it to us - there is plenty enough expertise and generosity for us to be able to sort that out for ourselves. If there are backers who are not comfortable to manage this themselves, then I am sure there will be other backers locally who will be happy to help out.

It doesn't all need to be done by Lakewest.

Ok, so lets get an idea of how many would be interested in Detox without chassis - with the option of adding the chassis when its ready?

Detox with case here.

I thought the compartmentalised screening was fundamental to the original design and one of its selling points? Now we seem to be being told it isn’t important. If it’s not important stick the thing in a tin box and get it shipped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back