1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

MDAC First Listen (part 00111000)

Discussion in 'audio' started by PhilCTTE, Jun 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stephengrenfell

stephengrenfell pfm Member

In my experiences of various player software;

Directly connected storage devices (HDD, memory card, etc) are generally scanned automatically by the player SW. In other words adding an album will be found automatically.

Storage devices accessible via the LAN (NAS, other computers, etc..) the user manually selects to add any folders to their library - and there is usually a chose to manual scan for updates/changes or automatically scan for updates/changes to the selected folder(s).

As for streaming services this is a different ball game as thier API needs to be incorperated into the player SW. And each time the user connects to the streaming service the player SW needs to update from their library as any changes since the user's last session are unknown.

Presenting everything as the same irrespective of source (i.e. as one huge library) can be a pain. Audirvana for example can access various streaming services, and it presents each streaming service as another music library (in addition to the users own music library), but the playlists and listening history are also kept separate. Roon has a different approach and presents everything together, but has much superior browsing capabilities. I like Roon a lot but it can be a pain when I want to browse just my own music and not streamed music and the two can't be separated (at least not that I know of).

2. iansr

iansr pfm Member

I think most people would regard it as a big plus if all your sources (eg NAS + Tidal) are consolidated to make one library.

3. Rune

Rune pfm Member

Then your only option is to pay for Roon. (the streamer is cheaper than a MicroRendu buy the way)

The streamers Volumios library management will work exactly as it works today if you install Volumio on a RPI!

I do not think it is reasonable to expect more than that.

4. ManMan

ManMan pfm Member

Is there any youtube video or instructions to help to remove the mdac sleeve? I need to check my unit for any leaking capacitors?

Thanks.

5. hc25036

hc25036 pfm Member

See if you can find my thread in the DIY room where someone helped me. Essentially, remove the 4 screws on either cheek, gently prise the front panel down (watch out for the cables...) then either unplug the front panel (for ease) or twis the front panel without unplugging and the board can be slid out of the back.

6. misterdog

misterdog Not the canine kind

Tap Torx bit to ensure it is fully seated first..

7. JohnW

JohnW pfm member

Sadly there is no fix for the firmware for ANY device that uses the TAS1020B due to a design bug in the IC's buffer management - it has to force a buffer flush on split ehci-hcd transaction scheduling - to be honest its very poor form to split the scheduling in the first place - its only USB1.1 Data rates!

8. jirij

jirij Virtual Member

See http://mdac.referata.com/wiki/Main_Page#Issues_with_MDAC_on_GNU.2FLinux all the way to the bottom - I stopped updating the workaround as it seemed to work 3.12+. Since then a different issue appeared (for me) as well, where MDAC slowly empties its USB buffer (goes down from 40% to 0% in about 5 seconds and then does a short "bzzt" sound before jumping back again), not sure what exactly would be the cause ("acknowledgement" URBs being sent too fast?) or which side is to blame, but I haven't been using MDAC the past months because of even worse issues on windows 10.

Coming back to linux, I'm using xhci-hcd (usb3 driver) on all ports, even usb2, which is normally fine, but when I used to have the 3.12 kernel, I was still using ehci-hcd (usb2 driver), which has a separate codebase and maintainer who, back then, rewrote a lot of it to support "problematic" devices like MDAC, so switching back to ehci-hcd could fix the buffer-emptying problem on 3.12 and beyond.

9. Rune

Rune pfm Member

10. timola

timola pfm Member

11. ManMan

ManMan pfm Member

Thanks.

12. JohnW

JohnW pfm member

Thanks guys :), one of the better days in the lab here :)

Not bad for a little design that started out in life as the XMOS development platform for the MDAC2 :)

The DEVDAC for the Steamer is a step-up in audio performance over the project DAC so should make a decent little solution.

13. Lancastrian

Lancastrian Well-Known Member

John, whilst I still ponder MDAC2 or FDAC options, I've found both the 24/20 bit and HDCD filters for sale for the DaCapo/Ordinal. Which one should I look at purchasing ?

Ian

14. Hayche

Hayche pfm Member

15. sq225917

sq225917 situation engineer

One assumes progress in five years

16. JohnW

JohnW pfm member

Ian,

Without a moments hesitation go for the HDCD filter :)

17. JohnW

JohnW pfm member

With a decent PSU better in some areas...

It uses a pair of ES9038K2M's which are based on the latest HyperstreamII ESS modulators - so a better DAC's then the MDAC'S 9018... but then the MDAC has a better analogue stage.

During the tedious MDAC2 development path we have found that the ESS DAC's are the sound quality "bottleneck" - limiting the performance gains of better analogue stages... so the little DAC has the better ESS DAC's to its advantage.

There will be a Battery Option for the DAC in the future.

18. JohnW

JohnW pfm member

Ian,

Sorry - I consciously aware I need to work on your DAC's as soon as I have a moment free!

I know you have already more then patiently waited a very very long time - but could we agree that I work on your DAC as soon as I've completed the Discrete DAC PCB in (2-3 weeks)?

19. Lancastrian

Lancastrian Well-Known Member

Cheers John, purchased, 112Euros inc postage.

Ian

20. timola

timola pfm Member

That sounds pricey I think I got mine for around £40 last year...still, its in the bag now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.