advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00111000)

Status
Not open for further replies.
John,

I am interested in testing the DEVDAC and streamer, I order the second streamer for this purpose.
So please add me to the list.

John I'd be happy to test the devdac and streamer. Let me know what's needed. Happy to give it a case and whatever psu it requires and then pass it round the UK members.

As mentioned last week, today we have just released Streamer DEVDAC PCB files.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8h2tbw4jd9w6u9t/DevDAC A01.jpg?dl=0

The DEVDAC connects to the MDAC2 streamer PCB allowing software development and testing of the streamer software (and also hardware) ahead of the MDAC2 mainboard release.

The DEVDAC is based upon a pair of ES9038's and is fully balanced. The board also features a interface connector on the bottom RH side for the MDAC2 ADC development board.

The DAC's USB connector is shared with the Streamer output - which is not ideal as the USB is enumerated / de-enumerated as the input source is cycled.

We will also release a secondary USB daughter board to avoid this issue and allow the DEVDAC to be used as a USB / SPDIF input "standalone" DAC once the streamer PCB is transferred to the MDAC2.

When we tested the Pro-Ject DAC it was sensitive to the quality of the external PSU - so we designed a far more advanced PSU on this PCB and its also fully balanced so "should" be sonically better sounding the Pro-Ject design.

We also use differential clocks to the DAC's & synchronised the USB clock etc. to the Audio clock.

Not sure if anyone interested in "playing" with the Streamer / DEVDAC... let me know and we will arrange the relevant number of early release PCB's to be built.

I am also interested in playing with the Streamer / Devdac.

I have an interest in playing with Roon Bridge and HQPlayer's Network Audio Daemon to try DSD (up to whatever rate my PC / Mac can upsample), but am happy to spend time trialing any other player software that can run on the streamer.

I am also interested in playing with the Streamer / Devdac.

I have an interest in playing with Roon Bridge and HQPlayer's Network Audio Daemon to try DSD (up to whatever rate my PC / Mac can upsample), but am happy to spend time trialing any other player software that can run on the streamer.

Stephen,

The streamer will come pre-installed with Roon, Spotify, Tidal, DNLA players + more.

There is no need to up-sample as the streamer can support upto PCM 384KHz & DSD256.

You will not need your PC / MAC to use the streamer, just Tablet / Phone or any internet browsers device. The streamer can be controlled via a webpage or a custom Lakewest iPhone / Android App.

You can connect a HDMI Monitor and wireless keyboard / track pad directly to the streamer if you don't want to use a phone or tablet.

Provisional Streamer / DevDAC

Hulga
fusion5
Rune
sq225917
stephengrenfell

Leaving just one of the 6 Prototype PCB set's unreserved (we have kept 2 of the 8 for internal use).

John I'd be happy to test the devdac and streamer. Let me know what's needed. Happy to give it a case and whatever psu it requires and then pass it round the UK members.

The streamer needs a 12VDC PSU (we designed it to be use the Detox AC Adaptor).

Mounting into a chassis would be a good idea to protect from ESD / dust/ loose metal objects dropping onto the PCB's....

We hope to also release the ADC PCB soon - so it would be great to try it with your phono stage and try recording in PCM / DSD :)

I suggest opting for the Streamer PCB with the optional 64GB onboard memory if we manage to get it working (expanded eMMC Memory) - this will allow a fast local memory storage for DSD256 and PCM 384KHz :)

Would be good to try with a Paradise, could do compare and contrast with a Brooklyn or the m2tech Joplin.

How many rails are required for streamer, DevDAC (and ADC)? Are there internal power connectors?

You only need a single 12VDC input - the total load depends much on what devices you have connected to the streamers USB port.

I recommend 12Vdc @ 2A to be safe - but we see no more then 1A on the bench (with no SSD drive connected etc).

Hulga,

I'l put your name down then for one of the 6 PP streamer boards + DevDAC....

Are the 8200MB's in my basement any good to you? they are alittle "bright" in standard form but plenty of bass control!
Nice ;)
I think 8200 are ways better than my little amp. They could be perfect as interim before VFET happens.

Bests

Ian,

As the quality from the Samsung TV is never going to be the highest, using the ASRC will be fine for "TV" input.

We can add Clock-Lock to your Meridian 602 transport to support the Discrete DAC- but really consider the streamer PCB, once you get to using it, I'm sure you will realise how useful it is and not go back to loading CD's for your daily music library...

I'm old school and feel comfortable with the simplicity and security of CD, but the MDAC2 streamer ended up being so easy and practical I don't have a CD transport on hand these days...

Which filter did you have fitted to your Ordinal?

Hi John,

Quite a few options for me to consider then ! :)

I'm also old school and there is always something tangible about handling a disc/LP and putting into a CD player or on a turntable. I have Amazon Music but hardly ever use it.....at the moment.

The Ordinal has the original 18bit filter with SAA7350 and YM3414.

Ian

I'm also old school and there is always something tangible about handling a disc/LP and putting into a CD player or on a turntable. I have Amazon Music but hardly ever use it.....at the moment.

I really should rename the "Streamer" to say Media player as I'm also not registered with any streaming services - at best while working on PCB designs I use Youtube...

To be honest, I don't trust the quality of downloadable content - even purchasing 2 CD's from different pressing plants and they can sound different!

My personal use case for the "Media player" is to copy my media library onto internal storage /Flash Drive / SSD and just replay from the MDAC2 directly without the need for an external device - and a simple UI to select the tracks...

The Ordinal has the original 18bit filter with SAA7350 and YM3414.

Ian

I might have a 22bit filter I could dig up for you...

I really should rename the "Streamer" to say Media player as I'm also not registered with any streaming services - at best while working on PCB designs I use Youtube...

To be honest, I don't trust the quality of downloadable content - even purchasing 2 CD's from different pressing plants and they can sound different!

My personal use case for the "Media player" is to copy my media library onto internal storage /Flash Drive / SSD and just replay from the MDAC2 directly without the need for an external device - and a simple UI to select the tracks...

I might have a 22bit filter I could dig up for you...

Hi John,

That would be amazing if you do :)

Ian

...where I understood the opposite because:
:confused:

I don't want to answer for John, but my interpretation was that the trialling will be done with MDAC2 + MiniDSP slave so that the FDAC can then be a single box solution.

Hopefully John will clarify.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back