advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00101111)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The display looks lovely, very strange how the display is not width times height, but you got round that nicely. Thanks to whoever mentioned designacable the cables are well priced and well made. The garage conversion is coming on leaps and bounds driven by Fdacs immanence and pretty great weather. I'll soon have room again to connect it all together with out the worry of little hands. My new Caspian m2 power amp needs a new partner (recent spending spree also due to Fdac but its been long long time and I am excited).

Detox Production PCB design completed:-

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86116171/DeTox PCB B01dd.jpg

I'll have a PCB manufacture here in CZ to confirm some design modifications and component values - but I'll be submitting the PCB to the vendor in China for quotation etc.

Hopefully as the Detox is a relatively simple design production should not be too troublesome - although I'll have to make a flying visit to China to Test / Setup and QC each unit.

The display looks lovely, very strange how the display is not width times height, but you got round that nicely. Thanks to whoever mentioned designacable the cables are well priced and well made. The garage conversion is coming on leaps and bounds driven by Fdacs immanence and pretty great weather. I'll soon have room again to connect it all together with out the worry of little hands. My new Caspian m2 power amp needs a new partner (recent spending spree also due to Fdac but its been long long time and I am excited).

neep8,

I can understand how your are excited about your Garage conversion - building the small lab here with listening area upstairs really change my life :)

The FDAC Display is 800 x 480 which has an aspect ratio of 5:3, but its very close too 16:10. The aspect ratio works well for the FDAC"s front panel size :)

Does anyone else here use Oppo BDP-105 (Sabre DAC) direct into Amplifiers? Not sure if that is a dry sounding Source as nothing to compare it against anymore!

I once heard the Oppo against a CDQ at a private demo room at CES- and the CDQ was better, but then the Oppo has 8 audio channels and BlueRay player etc...

Thanks for your input John

I have heard the 8200CD and it's definitely a more musical signature to my ears, at the expense of a little detail compared to other things I have listened to, which come across a bit more clinical (part of the reason I believe your FDAC will be nice, warm sounding) / Ricardo has the 8200CD, but it's now in another country so cannot compare anymore 8-/

The top Oppo has dedicated ESS Sabre DAC on the Stereo section... come across a few Reviewers using it claiming its top notch (makes me suspicious of their opinions on things) ;-)

Detox Production PCB design completed:-

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86116171/DeTox PCB B01dd.jpg

I'll have a PCB manufacture here in CZ to confirm some design modifications and component values - but I'll be submitting the PCB to the vendor in China for quotation etc.

Hopefully as the Detox is a relatively simple design production should not be too troublesome - although I'll have to make a flying visit to China to Test / Setup and QC each unit.

Great work John. Well done.

I maybe attending the Munich show in May and it would be great to meet you in person and see FDAC boards and the Detox box. Who know you may even have something of the VFET amp to show :)

As always thanks for all the hard work.

Sadly no time for VFET's, but I will have the Detox with me and elements of the FDAC - it will be great to meet you :)

PM your Mobile number so we can arrange to meet :)

I'm afraid I won't make it to munich :(

My budget is stretched pretty tight after the car breakdown in february

Sat at misterdog's listening to his +5 Calix psu, it really does make a shed load of difference in the most positive way.

9 Kg. of 5 Rail Calex.

P1000792.JPG

The difference is quite phenomenal (I use the term reservedly) as Si. has just posted.

Its a different DAC. the soundstage has opened up remarkedly, the 2 rail Calex extended the bass and darkened the background but this is something else.

And as Mr Cat aka. Sam Cat alluded to earlier.

I wonder now how much more this Mdac could give with a super regulated 5 rail LPS as opposed to the basic Calex.

The down side is that it needs some open Dac surgery (leave out of the case) to accomplish.

On a side note, whilst out of the case I took the oppurtunity to remove one of my defective Caps and reinsert it (Farnell are out of stock of the 10V 330 Pf caps for 4 weeks ;))

If it sounds this good with 10 semi blown Caps ??

Paul,

Sorry it tock me about 2 hours to find the original design file and make the relevant corrections:-

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86116171/MDAC PSU PCB REV03 Corrected CN2.jpg

Note L- and R- have been swapped - I made and error on the MDAC PCB so if you wire them as indicated on the updated CN2 connections in the above schematic you will get true dual mono operation.

The error does not effect unmodified MDAC's and why it went unnoticed, but as you have removed the PSU board and replaced with your own indervidual PSU's you should wire with the corrected CN2 connections (L- & R- swapped).

9 Kg. of 5 Rail Calex.

P1000792.JPG

The difference is quite phenomenal (I use the term reservedly) as Si. has just posted.

Its a different DAC. the soundstage has opened up remarkedly, the 2 rail Calex extended the bass and darkened the background but this is something else.

And as Mr Cat aka. Sam Cat alluded to earlier.

I wonder now how much more this Mdac could give with a super regulated 5 rail LPS as opposed to the basic Calex.

The down side is that it needs some open Dac surgery (leave out of the case) to accomplish.

On a side note, whilst out of the case I took the oppurtunity to remove one of my defective Caps and reinsert it (Farnell are out of stock of the 10V 330 Pf caps for 4 weeks ;))

If it sounds this good with 10 semi blown Caps ??

Paul, why do you need x5 PSU's 3 should do (in fact 2.5 will do) each Calex is dual rail...

Can you send me a PDF link for the Calex you use?

I did wonder that ...

I work wood :D so I like a large case.

Thank you for the update, it appears I have some wire swopping to do.

Do you happen to have any of those 330 uf caps in your stash?

I'll swop you for 2.5 Calexes..:)

You have Gmail.

Paul,

Send me a link for the Datasheet for your PSU modules - and I'll give you a wiring diagram.

Maybe it's the 5 transformers that make the difference.

Sure keeping my room warmer :D.

I'll swap pins 3 and 6 over tomorrow (- L and - R ).

I did wonder why the Bombay Bicycle Club had suddenly aquired 2 mandolin players :D

I have already cased it up as such so it might as well stay this large..

Nils lofgren - Acoustic Live has aquired a whole new dimension.

I'll update tomorrow when I'm in stereo....

:eek: :eek:

Maybe it's the 5 transformers that make the difference.

Sure keeping my room warmer :D.

I'll swap pins 3 and 6 over tomorrow (- L and - R ).

I did wonder why the Bombay Bicycle Club had suddenly aquired 2 mandolin players :D

I have already cased it up as such so it might as well stay this large..

Nils lofgren - Acoustic Live has aquired a whole new dimension.

I'll update tomorrow when I'm in stereo....

:eek: :eek:

Paul,

As you have individual PSU's per rail swapping the connections will not make any difference - so don't do anything until I send you a wiring diagram :)

Whats the black transformer for and the other x2 PCB's or are they not connected?

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back