advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00101111)

Status
Not open for further replies.
John, still not sure but it seems it was only a suspicion of a heart attack why my mother was brought into Hospital.

best wishes for a quick return to health and maybe we can catchup with each other via skype :)

I've decided to design the iMX6 section on the a small daughter PCB allowing quick respin if required and optimization. I'm told there is a 7 page spreadsheet available from freescale to help with the track lengths / timing information etc.

Having the CPU on a separate PCB also allows future upgrade if required.

Looking forward for the Calex PSU to arrive - been sent via the Ebay Global shipping program which adds about a week to the shipping times :(

I've just had some parts shipped from the USA via the Global shipping program, only took 7 days.

£ 5.35 import duty on £47 purchase :cool:

( AMT supertweeters..)

I've just had some parts shipped from the USA via the Global shipping program, only took 7 days.

£ 5.35 import duty on £47 purchase :cool:

( AMT supertweeters..)

I'm sure the supertweeters will get a nice mounting-pictures?

And I don't think we should politicise this thread, but just in case anybody in the UK is thinking of voting for Brexit, remember your FDAC will cost a lot more if your side wins....

And I don't think we should politicise this thread, but just in case anybody in the UK is thinking of voting for Brexit, remember your FDAC will cost a lot more if your side wins....

Why? I'm not asking because I'm pro Brexit (like most people I have no idea which way to vote) but we have no idea what a post-Brexit UK / Europe arrangement would look like and it would likely remain as is until a transition could be agreed.

Why? I'm not asking because I'm pro Brexit (like most people I have no idea which way to vote) but we have no idea what a post-Brexit UK / Europe arrangement would look like and it would likely remain as is until a transition could be agreed.

Yes, we have no idea what UK/EU arrangement would look like, but GBP to USD exchange rate will definitely go down.
John pays to chines vendor in USD :)
http://www.investing.com/currencies/gbp-usd-chart/

I'm sure the supertweeters will get a nice mounting-pictures?

Your wish..

P1000794.JPG

Though the eagle eyed may notice the Mdac at 3Db..

This fully balanced pre amp the size of a cigarette packet for £ 100 makes a nice improvement.

P1000797.JPG

Who knows what the situation would be in the short term, long term you'd pay UK VAT and import duties :(

VAT isnt going anywhere whether we are in or out. If we leave it might get tweaked and maybe renamed, but you can be certain we would have to pay it on imports.

Both the pre-amp and the 'simple' amplifier designs really whet the appetite to clear the bench and dig out the soldering station. I can neither spare the time nor justify the expense right now, but if your audition is sufficiently impressive I can always put my name on the pre-amp board waiting list and work out the logic later on....

Both the pre-amp and the 'simple' amplifier designs really whet the appetite to clear the bench and dig out the soldering station. I can neither spare the time nor justify the expense right now, but if your audition is sufficiently impressive I can always put my name on the pre-amp board waiting list and work out the logic later on....

IMHO there are just a handful of hi fi engineers who I would always trust to come up with great designs. John is clearly one and Bruno is another. I'd love to hear his Kii speakers as they reportedly rewrite the rule book.

Not however, the rule book which states-

1, Quad ESL's have no/lack bass.

2, the Mdac shows minimal improvement with an external PSU.

3, the Mdac preamp is about as good as it gets.

As I listened last night I thought why have I spent a week building a subwoofer ?

so the question arises, where has all this bass and soundstage been ?

I can only conclude that is has been lost as some form of distortion between the power supply and analogue section.

I can only conclude that is has been lost as some form of distortion between the power supply and analogue section.

I'm no expert, but I think it's got more to do with SNR than THD.

DSP may provide the answer, eventually, but first JohnW has to come up with the 'perfect' noiseless DAC. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back