advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00101011)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a further thought on timescales. My aim was always to get John's ultimate DAC, which was originally going to be the TDAC, so I only ever saw the MDAC2 as as a stepping stone. Now I suspect the FDAC will give us 98 % of the performance of the TDAC, should it ever come to pass. If the original MDAC2 > TDAC route had gone ahead then I doubt I would be getting the TDAC before the back end of 2017. So looked at from that perspective getting the FDAC In mid 2016 is not a bad result.

Hi John,
I am only interested in the full fat FDAC FWC, with slot loader. I have my Father-In Law's dCS Debussy DAC on semi-permanent loan, so no hurry. He has had to go into a care home, so I have staked my claim on this DAC. I had to upgrade the software to DSD, so rather blown away by some of my SACD rips, especially stuff recorded in DSD and the venerable TELARC Soundstream conversions.
ATB
Neil A

Hi John,

i also will take the "long way home" and will wait for the complete FWC FDAC with CD slot loader. I have full confidence in your work, even if it takes a long time.
I hope the situation does not bring too much stress for you - under too much pressure its not a good working.

Uwe

The Detox has acted as learning curve for USB input design for the Fdac, it also gives john a relatively safe dry run with cnc cases. It'll also be a money spinner long term. The Fdac lite really is a necessary step in proving the full Fdac design and the production capabilities of John's vendors. Neither of them are lost time, you simply can't work on one project for so long without going mad, these are necessary steps, not distractions.

Seconded.

T

So the current thinking is that we will have an internal engineering FDAC Lite but it will not be released as a commercial design.

This would be my preference too - and a "known 80%" product would break your heart John !

I suppose that I should consider myself a "potential" FDAC Lite customer. I own an unmodified MDAC which I'm still thrilled with. When the MDAC-2 was mooted I seriously considered joining in, but didn't think I'd be able to explain the expenditure ;)

As fantastic as the FDAC sounds, my financial situation would prevent me paying for it (although I realise how great value it is - avoiding store mark-ups etc.). Even at the lower price for an FDAC-Lite, I would still have difficulty explaining what "is wrong" with the MDAC that would justify the money!

Personally I will wait for the FWC FDAC with slot loader

However if the FDAC lite were a replacement board for the MDAC I might well opt for one of those as well at cost to replace the one with bulging capacitors in my current MDAC

Eddie

Johnw,

I'm also on your records for FDAC L3 + CD, VFET & DETOX. (and not interested by any *-lite product)
From my point of view (and according to more than three year participation in that task) every side project leads to delaying the MDAC2->FDAC / VFET ones.
To be honest I sometimes regret my investment in Detox, not for the product that i will get but for the time you spent designing it. The other schizophrenic part of my brain agrees that it allows you to gain experience both in USB inputs and on Milled chassis productions which will be valuable for the other projects.

I'm confident that at the end all will turn into amazing products but i also want this end to happen.

Anyways i thank you for making us to be part of those exciting projects :)

br/

John,
I admire your attention to detail and no compromize attitude.

I am only interested in the ultimate FWC version so take the time you need to finish it.

Spending time on the internal Lite board sounds reasonable. Time used to improve the FWC FDAC is time well spend in my book.

The production of the Lite version would most probably take up more of your time than expected and as Bob L says.
Even if the consequent delay to the FW version was small or zero, it would still irritate a lot of people.

But I think you should take the time to modify the MB8200 to turn them into cash. I can imagine that it is must put a lot of pressure on you or at least be very uncomfortable to "sit on a pallet of MB8200".

Ah, the project has pivoted once again :)

At what point will we need to decide on FDAC Lite as opposed to FWC FDAC? And can I take it that the ADC option for FDAC Lite is under consideration? And how about headphone outputs on FDAC Lite - will these still be balanced & regular?

As per my post a few days back, it'd be helpful (to me at least) to know an estimate of how much these are to cost.

I see £1500 (is that L2 or L3? / does it include the CD loader? / does that include VAT? / Shipping? ) and £250 (excl VAT / shipping) mentioned in a couple of posts.

John/Anyone in a position to confirm the estimated prices for each option please?

I don't think thats an unreasonable request is it?

As per my post a few days back, it'd be helpful (to me at least) to know an estimate of how much these are to cost.

I see £1500 (is that L2 or L3? / does it include the CD loader? / does that include VAT? / Shipping? ) and £250 (excl VAT / shipping) mentioned in a couple of posts.

John/Anyone in a position to confirm the estimated prices for each option please?

I don't think thats an unreasonable request is it?

rtrt,

The development costs are known and thus fixed, but the "PCB & Chassis cost" are subject to possible change:-

*FDAC Lite development GBP400 + "Unit At Cost" (GBP250 + VAT + Shipping)

FDAC FWC L2 development GBP400 + "PCB's At Cost" (GBP250 to GBP300 + VAT + Shipping)

FDAC FWC L3 development GBP500 + "PCB's At Cost" (GBP300 to GBP350 + VAT + Shipping)

For those without a salvaged unit we also need to factor the FWC Chassis (GBP280 + VAT + Shipping).

CD Slot loader option for the FWC FDAC GBP50 + VAT

Its possible that the FDAC FWC "PCB At cost" will be less then indicated as the transition to the FWC reduces various unnecessary costs.

*FDAC Lite is not currently an active project - also big uncertainty surrounds the cost of its CNC Milled Chassis. We will have a better idea of the cost once we have the official quotes for the Detox Chassis.

Toy / Fusion MDAC owners qualify for a GBP300 credit towards the development costs.

For those without a salvaged unit we also need to factor the FWC Chassis (GBP280 + VAT + Shipping).
Not sure I understand. What kind of salvaged unit? I thought the FWC chassis was something we'd all have to pay for? Or have I missed something?

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back