advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00101011)

Status
Not open for further replies.
And I thought we ended up in close to consensus on not supporting a commercial Lite version prior the FWC FDAC.

But consensus between the 20/30 regular contributors on here does not necesssarily mean consensus for all ( nearly 200 ? ) customers..

Good news (and luckily there's still space available) !

Installment paid.

Thanks,

Martin

This is an exciting project and rest assured that John will deliver a real 'statement' DAC that will deliver brilliant SQ, serious build quality and great looks....good to have you aboard:)...(If you plan to use the USB input, you may like to jump aboard the Detox project too).

A proper mitered plywood case with all the corner cut off - maybe available in the far future too!

Price is creeping up compared to how it was 2 years ago so I think It's likely that I will be going for the 'Lite' option. I like the smaller footprint of the original MDac and have no requirement for a Cd Drive..

Just to confirm - the PSU will be on board the lite ?

If it where not for the negative reaction here I would have asked Dominik to arrange production of it after Christmas

Pity when that happens.
Good thing is that you'll be able to have a more relaxing Christmas time; and I'm hopeing that you will (but not sure that you will actually take time off)

Cheers
Johan

But consensus between the 20/30 regular contributors on here does not necesssarily mean consensus for all ( nearly 200 ? ) customers..

True, so true. However it's been John's call all along to use this thread as polling instrument and there we are. There are other more reliable ways to do it eg poll using the supporters mail, again not my call.

Just to confirm - the PSU will be on board the lite ?

Yes, according to John, #671:
The FDAC Lite shares the identical Dual ESS circuit design of the FDAC FWC that's already a big leap over the MDAC - with the addition of a "beautifully elegant" Discrete MOSFET ClassA analogue stage, Isolated USB 2.0 and high quality internal PSU.

The idea forming is that the FDAC L3 will be offered in 3 versions:-

FDAC L3:-

2x Balanced line level inputs per Channel.

FDAC L3MM:-

Selectable Line level / MM stage with Flat Gain or RIAA EQ.

No MC step-up transformer fitted - but can be user upgraded at a later date by "pluging in" a pair of step-up Transformers.

FDAC L3MC:-

As FDAC L3MM but supplied with "Factory fitted" MC transformers.
Uh, okay, to be perfectly clear; 4 input sections/blocks (4 phases), that is 2 channels in total, right?

Is the manufacturing line flexible enough to offer these variants as well?

Why not use relays to allow the user to switch between them? Parasitic current from the relay?

Thanks,
Jiri :)

Hi John

Do you know what XLR Sockets you might use on the FDAC?

Brand, Gold/Copper;Silver;Plutonium etc? ;-)

Many thanks

Jiri,

Yes, we will have relay switching - between the 2 XLR inputs, BUT I'm slightly worried about noise pickup on the MC inputs, but then MC it low impedance and balanced which should help...

At the moment I'm in the mists of defining the input schematic / signal routing so nothings 100% defined...

Gold plated - the same brand and type as we used on MDAC / CDQ.

Thanks John

Do you know what the Brand is by any chance ...I would like to match this at my Amp side, potentially. Have a suitable XLR cable with similar properties to mate also!

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back