advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00101011)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you tried converting MP3 to Flac ?

As MP3 is lossy (lost information) how would the 'lost' information be found to
produce a non lossless FLAC file ??

Google DSD, or ask Jeeves.

Sorry I meant, if I streamed from a FLAC source for example, into an appropriate DSD DAC, would that FLAC stream flow through the 'more direct' DSD path inside the DAC? Or could it be made to do so in order to take advantage of DSD conversion?

Sorry I meant, if I streamed from a FLAC source for example, into an appropriate DSD DAC, would that FLAC stream flow through the 'more direct' DSD path inside the DAC? Or could it be made to do so in order to take advantage of DSD conversion?
As I understand it the point John is making (and certainly the point made in the link in his post) applies only to dsd recording (a/d) and dsd replay (D/a) it does not really have any application to anything else.

That said there was a vogue a little while ago for dsd upsamplng on computer software which was ecstatically praised by at least one bloke on this forum. Can't see how it would make any sense unless the format matched the rate at which the dac itself converted the data And the software did it better than the dac's modulator loop. File in the big pile marked "hmmmm"

I would love to convert my Ford Transit to a Mercedes Sprinter, and my DVD's to Blu Ray.

Is there some 'upsampling' mechanism which will do such ?

And a lossy codec - wine to p*** :D

I believe Jesus was able to transcode water into wine transparently (although the bible is a little vague on the subject of whether it was lossy or lossless.) The precise mechanism of transcoding/concoding bread into body of christ (or indeed virgin into Christ) has been the subject of centuries of controversy

What I'm interested in doing is plugging my neighbours Turntable into Captain Westlake's ADC

Get HiRez Vinyl recorded on Hard Disk...crackles and all !

John
I'm curious about the process; have you breadboarded the circuit and tested its performance, or are you sufficiently confident about it that you don't feel the need to do that? No implied criticism BTW, just intrigued.
Ian

Ian,

Certainly no offence taken :)

The Detox is a very simple design in comparison to say the FDAC.

The cascaded Hub are simple digital IC's just connect them up and go. I had the luxury of playing with Uptones Regen which highlighted problems and as a designer I'm able to add my own ideas and solutions. Having a full lab and being able to play with a device is very helpful :)

There has been much said about the basic issues with the Regen design - but lets not forget its easy to criticise "first attempts" - progress requires a starting point :)

The most unique parts of the Detox design are the MDAC / FDAC Clock-lock interface and the spread spectrum decorrelator - so I spent much time in the lab developing these circuits as with computer simulation I could only go so far.

I tested very crude "Rats Nest" circuit which allowed me to have confidence in the circuit before committing to the PCB layout:-

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86116171/Detox Clock Circuit Rats Nest.JPG

Lets see how the prototype works out :) as there are a few other smaller circuit sections I've yet to test (such as the low noise Isolated PSU - you can see the small power transformer on the PCB) they are relatively simple but new circuit can always bite you when you least expect.

Now to repair x3 customer MDAC's and then FDAC - I'm itching to start working on it once again - refreshed with ideas to further improve the design :)

Having sections in a copper lined Al CNC milled chassis to provide RF-Screening/Isolation much like the Detox may be a further improvement for the FDAC.....this type of design advantage could outweigh the extra production cost?....especially for the enormous number of screws this may require.

The Detox 'rats nest' looks scary....can't imagine what the FDAC 'rats nest' will look like....you may need to issue an R18 warning before issuing that .:D

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

For RF and high speed digital work "strip board" is useless - not helped by the fact that components are mainly SMD thesedays - if you look really closely you can see many SMD IC's - in fact I just counted 12 IC's in that rats nest!

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back