advertisement

MDAC First Listen (Part 00101010)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The knob on the MDAC is metal - as it well be the FDAC.

I suspect there is a lot of variance in the feel of the MDAC ecnoder - it should feel "Silky yet stiff" with no indents (only the micro indents of the Wipers sliding across the internal contacts).

I'll hand QC and test each of the PFM "project sponsoring units" so will insure they feel as they should.

Thanks john, that reassuring. My volume control feels anything but silky :)

I read somewhere that someone knocked their ESLs out when listening to the Rite of Spring ... that puts me off somewhat. Plus heat is an issue in my room.

Well, I'll listen to it. I can arrange a home demo. If it is too clinical I'll not buy it.

- Richard.

Richard,
If you want to get an idea how nCores sound you could also try the NAD M22 amp which is the only commercial implementation I know that does not cost silly money.

A newcomer with interesting features: Mytek Brooklyn (2000 USD IINM [if I'm not mistaken]. Posting here for inspiration:

Inputs
Built-in Analog Preamp: Line level input or Phono M/M, M/C input, relay controlled.

Available digital inputs: USB2 Class2 (OSX driverless, all formats), AES/EBU (PCM up to 192k, up to DSD64 DOP), 2x S/PDIF (PCM up to 192k, up to DSD64 DOP), Toslink/ADAT 2x S/PDIF (PCM up to 192k, up to DSD64 DOP), SDIF3 DSD up to DSD256.

All digital inputs can be routed into computer via USB2. Allows connection of external digital sources such as CD Players and digitizing ADCs.

Outputs
Analog outputs: RCA, balanced XLR, simultaneous

Headphone outputs: Reference High Current, High transient Headphone Amp, 500mA, 6 Watts, dual headphone jacks, designed to drive hard to drive headphones.

Built-in Attenuator: Choice of 1dB step analog attenuator, separate for main out and headphones, 1dB step digital 32 bit attenuator and purist relay bypass.

Mytek M-Clock™
0.82ps internal jitter, Wordclock Input and Output (allows stacking multiple units for multichannel operation, includes mch DSD)

Formats
Conversion: up to 384k, 32bit PCM, native DSD up to DSD256, DXD, 130dB Dynamic Range

Built in certified hardware Hi-Res MQA decoder

Other
Apple remote included, universal remote capable.

Worldwide power supply, optional DC/Battery Power input; 7-14VDC

Are you just advertising? Or contributing something?...This Mytek DAC looks tacky to me....I sure hope it sounds better than it looks. May I recommend the FDAC to you, you'll get better value for money, a far better looking unit and a great pedigree. If you want to sign-up just let us know.

There is the new nc500 ...causing some commotion on the Vendors Bizarre on DIY Audio "nCore" thread - claim it may have the edge over the nc400

nc400 200/400/580w@20hm
nc500 400/700/550w@20hm

The ATSAH 500 is £1600-1700 a pair from UK Acoustic Imagery ...OEMs can build their own Input Buffer to create the signature they prefer with these new modules

Also, just noticed these ESL Beautiesss...if only I could make space for them in my home + VFET :-((((

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=262081305868

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
There is the new nc500 ...causing some commotion on the Vendors Bizarre on DIY Audio "nCore" thread - claim it may have the edge over the nc400

nc400 200/400/580w@20hm
nc500 400/700/550w@20hm

The ATSAH 500 is £1600-1700 a pair from UK Acoustic Imagery ...OEMs can build their own Input Buffer to create the signature they prefer with these new modules

Also, just noticed these ESL Beautiesss...if only I could make space for them in my home + VFET :-((((

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=262081305868

Oh bo******, what have I missed? I pushed the button on a pair of 400s last night! :D

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Are you just advertising? Or contributing something?...This Mytek DAC looks tacky to me....I sure hope it sounds better than it looks. May I recommend the FDAC to you, you'll get better value for money, a far better looking unit and a great pedigree. If you want to sign-up just let us know.

It's not released until December so no reviews. Mytek DAC's usually get good reviews, but not game changer level.

The Summits don't really need much space... mine are about 2ft from the wall (though that makes the panel about 3ft) and a few twiddles on the bass controls, and you have state of the art sound quality in quite a small room, mine is about 5m x 4m though depends on whether you count the inglenook, and the staircase. Sparsely furnished, low ceiling, rear wall has a Persian carpet across most of it, and a thin rug on the slate floor (for the cat...). They sound superb, if a bit too accurate for some less accomplished recordings. £3,500 for all that is a bargain.

Depending on how long the panels last..

If the ML panels go I think they are very expensive and not DIY able like the Quads.

The very same thought has crossed my mind I will never see the MDAC2.

Mike,

I'm working on the projects 14 to 16 hours a day and I'm as keen as anyone to see them completed so I can move on... It did feel good to be in HK recently to discuss the start of the production process as I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel :)

Seeing the mechanical design of the VFET / FDAC and now having a partner factory who can support the production is also a huge relief :)

John, some concern of your measured USB signal prior to the Regen has been raised as being untypical of "normal" USB signal. You yourself seemed to express some surprise at the level of dynamic runt events evident on your scope when you first measured this.

Have you tested further USB ports from other PCs?

I just love it when people who up until some results are presented had no idea, suddenly claim "some concern" as soon as you demonstrate something that threatens their belief structure. Why suspect the Viao was "poor" instead of questioning what if its better then normal?

I tested on a second system with much of the same mess... in fact the little Sony Viao is quite clean as it battery operated + SSD drive and a motherboard designed by Sony and not some small Micky mouse motherboard vendor beavering away in a poorly lit backstreet somewhere in Taiwan...

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back