advertisement

MDAC First Listen (Part 00101010)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it involves soldering, I don't think I would want to do that.

- Richard.

Hi Richard,

Where are you based? You are welcome to listen to my ncores. Also if you did want to build some I'd be happy to solder the connections on for you, it's super easy with the Ghent cases.

I believe the V is on the side(s), the front is to the "left", with the (supposedly) vertical plasma current bars.

Thankfully I think you're correct. The big V is cool but I think I'd soon tire of a pair of those facing forwards! Too 'muscle'!

Thankfully I think you're correct. The big V is cool but I think I'd soon tire of a pair of those facing forwards! Too 'muscle'!

Yes the "VFet" is on the heatsink of the sides of the Amps - with the Plasma level meters on the front panel.

Hi Richard,

Where are you based? You are welcome to listen to my ncores. Also if you did want to build some I'd be happy to solder the connections on for you, it's super easy with the Ghent cases.

That's very kind of you, but I live in deepest West Wales and have transport problems. I think I'm better off buying a ready made amp. A friend of mine is trying to persuade me to get a second-hand Bryston, but I think 600W per channel is overkill in my system , and I already have central heating :D The Benchmark seems an attractive package and I think I'll arrange a home demo.

- Richard.

As the VFET's are custom built you can have any colour combination of Silver / Black panels eg. even the "V" can be Black on a Black heatsink - but personally I like the Silver "V" inlayed on the black heatsink.

When we make the samples of the VFEt / FDAC then we will prototype one complete Silver and one complete Black set and mix and match the panels / Knobs / Buttons colour combinations when I can see the prototypes in real - its VERY hard to select the final colour combination from such basic renderings.

That's very kind of you, but I live in deepest West Wales and have transport problems. I think I'm better off buying a ready made amp. A friend of mine is trying to persuade me to get a second-hand Bryston, but I think 600W per channel is overkill in my system , and I already have central heating :D The Benchmark seems an attractive package and I think I'll arrange a home demo.

- Richard.

Richard,

Try the Bryston if you can, don't worry about the total power output.

I have a bad feeling about the Benchmark that it will be clinical and "clean" sounding in a negative way.... Technically "perfect" but somehow lacking...

Most "decent" amps will be an upgrade to your Quads however...

- Richard.

Anywhere near the Gower? My folks live there, Dad is active on here and I could easily arrange for my NCores to travel up that way..

John - did you ever consider putting a tube (valve) stage in your DAC to open up the sound stage even further? Perhaps then you could mate a tube DAC with a fully SS amp?

Well I have talked about a TDAC - but now the FDAC uses paralleled MOSFET devices in its frontend analogue circuit I suspect the difference will be very small - so question the need for TDAC.... lets see.

Hi John,

Seeing the FDAC pictures prompted me on something. If I have one criticism of the original MDAC its the volume control. Its feel is absolutely awful (sorry).

What control are you using for the FDAC, is the knob plastic or metal?

thanks

The knob on the MDAC is metal - as it well be the FDAC.

I suspect there is a lot of variance in the feel of the MDAC ecnoder - it should feel "Silky yet stiff" with no indents (only the micro indents of the Wipers sliding across the internal contacts).

I'll hand QC and test each of the PFM "project sponsoring units" so will insure they feel as they should.

I couldn't follow this tread for month or more and think I'm lost. Understand that MDAC2 project is abandoned and full-width chassis FDAC will happen instead. But, can someone explain in a few words about differences, options, costs and payments, timelines? Planned to go for MDAC2 L3 but now I'm lost and afraid to miss something. Same about Detox - I understand it's purpose but what about costs, payments, timelines etc?
Thanks!

Regards,
Peteris

Richard,

Try the Bryston if you can, don't worry about the total power output.

I read somewhere that someone knocked their ESLs out when listening to the Rite of Spring ... that puts me off somewhat. Plus heat is an issue in my room.

I have a bad feeling about the Benchmark that it will be clinical and "clean" sounding in a negative way.... Technically "perfect" but somehow lacking...

Most "decent" amps will be an upgrade to your Quads however...

Well, I'll listen to it. I can arrange a home demo. If it is too clinical I'll not buy it.

- Richard.

Anywhere near the Gower? My folks live there, Dad is active on here and I could easily arrange for my NCores to travel up that way..

I appreciate the offer, but I live in Lampeter and I haven't driven the car, which my wife needs for her work, for about 10 years. Public transport is dire.

- Richard.

As the owner of XLR4M terminated headphones I could not support this more!! Please...

Absolutely.
I find it very difficult and awkward at the best of times to get at the back of my rack and as I'm using my headphones more and more late at night(new neighbours :() the balanced headphone socket at the front would be ideal as I intend to convert to balanced with the FDAC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back