advertisement

MDAC First Listen (Part 00101001)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think people should try to relax a bit now until John had a chance to get a clear view of the cost that will probably take some more than a few days maybe even weeks.

All these speculations does not help!

Please don't invent a problems that might not even exist in the first place!

+1

A Tax Advisor is currently looking into it.

Off cause we are not going to pay VAT for the development cost. Then we would already have paid it.

I think people should try to relax a bit now until John had a chance to get a clear view of the cost that will probably take more than a few days maybe even weeks.

All these speculations does not help!

Please don't invent a problems that might not even exist in the first place!

P.S. jadidih101 I am only quoting you as an example.

OF COURSE, I agree with you. We should all wait and let John clarify the whole cost issue however long it needs to takes. I was just trying to calm Peter's fear of TAXs on VFET and Fusion DAC.

I used the term 'I would hope John will not..' instead of 'Off cause John will not ...' because I am not his boss nor do I have his permission to speak for him.

The issue of Vat and tax, the VFETs are hand built in Europe, and in small Qtys so no VAT, I've already paid tax/vat on the components etc.

The FDAC will be sold "At cost" while vat and duty will need to be paid, as the units are manufactured in HK which is Tax free the component cost is much cheaper then can be purchased in Europe, not only because there is no tax, but because they are cheaper in the first instance. So while VAT and duty will need to be paid, the End cost is still lower then manufacture in Europe.

+1

A Tax Advisor is currently looking into it.

:) THX

My flight has been cancelled, so having to fly via Beijing as I've arranged to meet my Son in Paris for the connection flight to CZ. Very sad to leave HK, but have targets dates to meet to release final Analogue board into production. (Mid Oct).

Ok Airplane mode has just been requested - Next stop Beijing....

Oh, 1 hour Delay, please don't tell me I'll be stuck in Beijing rather then spending an extra night in HK!

I was wondering if there is anybody here that has used room optimization, heard it, recommends it or has any comments?

What are your thoughts on putting the miniDSP dirac unit before the Fdac could one get an increase in SQ?

http://www.minidsp.com/products/dirac-series/product-line-summary

No experience whatsoever, as I understand John's ideas miniDSP will be integrated into the Fusion DAC. I thought that miniDSP contributed with HW to be integrated with the Fusion DAC & Dirac as a SW vendor could be an option to integrate at some stage.

I like Dirac, it is straightforward to use, you can choose just how much of the frequency response to correct, andthe MiniDSP implementation means you can use the DDRC unit as a
black box, and disconnect the computer after the correction has been downloaded.
Keith.

I like Dirac, it is straightforward to use, you can choose just how much of the frequency response to correct, andthe MiniDSP implementation means you can use the DDRC unit as a
black box, and disconnect the computer after the correction has been downloaded.
Keith.

and all integrated into the Fusion DAC?

Sh*t, the longer I stay in this project the less I know ...

From what I understand, miniDSP has several hardware solutions for different kinds of room correction including Dirac Live, AcourateDRC, Python Open Room Correction (PORC) and rePhase.

It would be interesting to know which DSP solution they have in mind for the Fusion DAC.

Also some technical data would be nice:
-processing power,
-supported audio bit depth
-supported FIR filters
-data path to FPGA modulator (full bit depth or not?)

I have used Audiovero Acourate with J River MC's 64bit convolution engine before and the results can be quite remarkable. Especially for people like me with no dedicated listening room.

Keith.

If possible would you please expand a little, especially what improvements you noticed in your setup SQ?

From what I understand, miniDSP has several hardware solutions for different kinds of room correction including Dirac Live, AcourateDRC, Python Open Room Correction (PORC) and rePhase.

It would be interesting to know which DSP solution they have in mind for the Fusion DAC.

Also some technical data would be nice:
-processing power,
-supported audio bit depth
-supported FIR filters
-data path to FPGA modulator (full bit depth or not?)

I have used Audiovero Acourate with J River MC's 64bit convolution engine before and the results can be quite remarkable. Especially for people like me with no dedicated listening room.

This sounds very promising, for 'remarkable', I'm reading 'much improved SQ'. It seems from what you say, this could be a must have component.

I agree, some more data on the miniDSP implementation for the Fdac would be nice, which I'm sure will come in due course. I plan to see what the Fdac can offer on this....I believe JohnW said it would only be for Treble and Bass sloping.....So I plan to add a Dirac type system later perhaps.

I do have a dedicated listening room (newly built at the back end of garden)...which I tried to design (def. no expert) and then found that in practice it didn't work as I planned and now use it with hifi in the opposite direction to my initial plans....hohum.

I do have a dedicated listening room (newly built at the back end of garden)...which I tried to design (def. no expert) and then found that in practice it didn't work as I planned and now use it with hifi in the opposite direction to my initial plans....hohum.

Would be interested in your building as its one of the options I'll be looking at :)
Sound proofing etc ... Cheers

Would be interested in your building as its one of the options I'll be looking at :)
Sound proofing etc ... Cheers

Initially I concentrated on dimensions 3.8 x 5.0M ceiling height 2.2M....Now I find this to be too big about 3.4 x 4.4M would have been better for me.

Sound insulation wise...it's a double brick build with cavity insulation all around...the theramlite blocks on the inside have some sound absorbing capacity as does the rockwool insulation. There is plasterboarded on the inside too. The cieling contains 160mm of celotex foam insulation a double layer of plasterboard underneath with a further foam (about 40mm) backed plasterboard layer underneath that. If sound escape is an issue I would suggest foam backed plasterboard for all your walls too...really good stuff and cost effective too. This absorbs sound/heat really well. The Floor is suspended wooden with about 40cm of rockwool insulation then plywood then a thick acoustic underlay with a carpet on top. The window is double glazed...you could do triple....sound escapes from my vents (but I do breath oxygen).

I can have my Linn active Isobaric system almost full on (at live rock band levels!) and it can be heard (without disturbance) that I'm playing my hifi about 12metres away in the garden....but not in the house at all. Any lower volumes it's almost silent in the garden. This gives me peace of mind when getting stuck into some loud listening....even at 2am in the morning, I'm not disturbing anyone!

If you're around London come over for a visit?:)

Thanks for that.
I've been reading up on a few solutions, but worried about a complete wood enclosure being a bit lively. Specifically with some of these all wooden cabin kits. I don't have to worry about it just yet as we haven't chosen the new property.

Thanks for the offer btw :)

I hope John is okay considering the explosions and poisenous gas in China.

and all integrated into the Fusion DAC?

Sh*t, the longer I stay in this project the less I know ...

Yes, forgive me, so far I've only concentrated on the Analogue stage, and essentially this is completed, so now we have sat down and really thought out the Digital PCB - and fixed its Spec.

The recent tie-up with miniDSP has allow us to add HDMI & include there DSP expertise to complete the "package" :)

I hope John is okay considering the explosions and poisenous gas in China.

Safely back in Czech, although I'm still waiting for my baggage - alittle concerned as the MDAC2 prototype PCB's are in the "Missing bag" :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back