advertisement

MDAC First Listen (Part 00101001)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Devialet Remote is non-directional too....would China please copy that feature too for us and add a few more buttons which our feature set will require.... Maybe a touch panel in the middle to mirror the Fdac panel?

John has already explained that the cost going to be about the same one way or another. However what is not clear is whether the indicative figures we have been given are inclusive or exclusive of these import taxes.

Yes. I would like to know that: do the indicative cost figures already include import tax, or will import tax have to be added on top of to the indicative cost figures?

Yes. I would like to know that: do the indicative cost figures already include import tax, or will import tax have to be added on top of to the indicative cost figures?

It is my understanding the current indicative costs do not include ANY taxes or shipping which will be on top of those that John has quoted, £400 + £300/400 + £250/300, unless Lakewest is not VAT registered in which case VAT would not be payable.

Peter,

Tax and Vat always have to be paid - I would pay Vat and Duty on the components / units when I import or purchase components.

HK is VAT free so we would not be burdened with VAT when we purchase components etc for manufacture, but Import Duty and VAT would need to be paid once shipped to the overseas Customer - Theirs no way to avoid paying TAX's, this is a fact of life.

The units are sold at cost, which reduces the taxable amount. As we will not be paying TAX on the components etc. during manufacture and the units are sold at cost - the next TAX cost is the same if we manufacture in HK or Europe.

If I purchase components in Europe I pay Tax (and they are crazy expensive in the first instance), if I ship to Europe I pay tax, as we sell at cost the net difference is basically zero (cheaper in fact as "like for like" components are vastly cheaper in Asia).

JohnW,
I know this is kind of an ignored topic at the moment, but...has anything been decided about the Savaged units?
I signed up in this project mostly interested in the headphone amp capabilities, to have the unit in my office. Now with the FWC, that is not an option. Yet, I am interested in the project.

But I don't feel that I have any control or choices here. I went in the project right from day one, bought my savaged unit and paid my installments that also helped to make this project possible. Now the savaged unit is not needed anymore, I am likely to have to pay a bit more for the FWC and I will have to take care of a 31.5% import tax in Sweden (25% VAT + 6.5% toll fee). It is a bit hard to digest...although I am quite certain that quality will be great.

I want to be positive and I see the advantages of the FWC. But I want to know where have I put my 400 (+ 370) pounds. Because it feels that the latter is not even half of the final cost and almost half of that may go to the trash.

I think many of us just need information to be able to adapt and decide, as we are talking about a significant amount of money.

AFAIK on importing, VAT/import duty is due whether or not the supplier is registered for VAT.

Hong Kong has no VAT regime.

Correct. Import taxes are payable in all circumstances. If you are VAT registered you can claim it back, but then you have to charge VAT when you sell on. There is no getting around it unless you want to evade it and we certainly don't want John doing time. I mean, that would really mess with the delivery date :D

Tunkejazz, John hasn't talked about paying import tax, so I would not worry with that for now.
Everytime John talked on the coming costs it was not mentioned and John is trying to stick to what was agreed in the beginning cost wise apart from using the fwc instead of a mdac salvaged unit (which costs will be similar or even less).

If I decide to buy something in Germany from an online hifi-store, there will be VAT included in the price quote I receive from the store, but no import tax will be added because both countries are part of the EU. I will have to pay the VAT difference between German VAT at 21% and Danish VAT at 25%. Thus 1000€ including German VAT becomes 1040€ including Danish VAT. On top of that there is shipping for me to pay. That I am used to.

When I buy something on PFM, I pay for the item + shipping to Denmark. Never anything else.

If I am asked to pay full VAT + import tax on top of the stated estimated prices for the MDAC2 FWC and the VFET monos, it will come to more than 1300£ for my part. That will mean that my MDAC2/VFET journey stops here. I cannot raise that sort of money on top of what remains to be paid for the MDAC2 and VFETs. So I really hope that John's estimations include VAT and import tax into the EU. I never suspected that the quoted estimations were less VAT and import tax. Then I would never have dared sign up for the VFETS.

I hope John can put my fears to rest.

And for the record: I am not looking for a loophole for VAT + import tax evasion purposes, I want to find out if the price estimates include VAT and import tax, or not.

Kind regards,
Peter

Peter i believe that the prices that John has been providing already include vat and import otherwise he would have mentioned that.
This was raised by members and not by John.
Anyway would be good to have John's confirmation.

If I decide to buy something in Germany from an online hifi-store, there will be VAT included in the price quote I receive from the store, but no import tax will be added because both countries are part of the EU. I will have to pay the VAT difference between German VAT at 21% and Danish VAT at 25%. Thus 1000€ including German VAT becomes 1040€ including Danish VAT. On top of that there is shipping for me to pay. That I am used to.
Peter,
I believe John said that he will be building VFET amps at home in Czech Republic and since he is not VAT registered he will not charge VAT. So no VAT in Denmark either. And there is no duty between European countries. So, the price for the VFETs would not be effected. you will have to pay for delivery unless you pick them up yourself.

Fusion DAC is different story. Since they are coming from HK, we all have to pay VAT and DUTY.

I would hope John will invoice us separately for development cost (i.e 400 pounds) and unit cost (around 700-800 pounds). So this way we will only pay the taxes on unit cost.

Peter,
I believe John said that he will be building VFET amps at home in Czech Republic and since he is not VAT registered he will not charge VAT. So no VAT in Denmark either. And there is no duty between European countries. So, the price for the VFETs would not be effected. you will have to pay for delivery unless you pick them up yourself.

Fusion DAC is different story. Since they are coming from HK, we all have to pay VAT and DUTY.

I would hope John will invoice us separately for development cost (i.e 400 pounds) and unit cost (around 700-800 pounds). So this way we will only pay the taxes on unit cost.

The VAT/customs issue is somewhat unwelcome.

I do not see why we would pay VAT and import on the development cost. John is providing the units at cost and to my mind, this should be the value that has been declared to customs.

Out of interest, has anyone posting their MDAC1 to John for repair or mods endured any Duties!?

John, some (more) questions for you please:

1. Could we do away with the need for USB cable power for handshake with Fusion DAC? We could then use a data-only USB cable without requiring isolation, unless I'm wrong (highly likely).

2. XLR and single-ended ADC inputs in Fusion DAC please. OK, this is not a question :)

3. Regarding the Fusion DAC phono module features:

MM/MC
selectable capacitance/resistance
variable analogue gain (hardware)
channel trim
mono switch

software RIAA

Which of these features do you think are realistically viable/desirable?
Where in your schedule does the phono module fit? Along with FWC around Christmas (please, please!)? After the VFETS?

Thank you!

Of course, fellow members please chime in, too!

Off cause we are not going to pay VAT for the development cost. Then we would already have paid it.

I think people should try to relax a bit now until John had a chance to get a clear view of the cost that will probably take more than a few days maybe even weeks.

All these speculations does not help!

Please don't invent a problems that might not even exist in the first place!

P.S. jadidih101 I am only quoting you as an example.

1. Could we do away with the need for USB cable power for handshake with Fusion DAC? We could then use a data-only USB cable without requiring isolation, unless I'm wrong (highly likely).

IIRC the new design isolates between the digital and analogue domain. This would isolate any of the electrical digital connections.

Since the devices would still be connected via the data lanes, I fail to see how not using USB power makes isolation redundant.

I think people should try to relax a bit now until John had a chance to get a clear view of the cost that will probably take some more than a few days maybe even weeks.

Totally agree Rune! Maybe I can join you and Rosewind to Czech when times come to pickup our gear?

Funding the Fusion DAC Swedish VAT & Importduties (31%) here:

- - > http://www.blocket.se/stockholm/AudioLab_M_DAC_62057697.htm?ca=11&w=1

Market survey second hand M-DAC:
Published ad 10:46 today, 11:15 sold and payment received (Swish), impressed on how easy it was to sell.
As of 12:22 four more buyers called! 13:45, two more calls from buyers.
May have sold it too cheap 3000 SEK/225 GBP, purchased new Q1 2012 from http://hifi-freaks.dk for 450 GBP.

Really good market in Sweden for a second hand M-DAC, may need to remove ad soon since there's to many calls ... :)

Ad & M-DAC gone, might be a good idea to sell before market is flooded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back