advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00100111)

Status
Not open for further replies.
For me its more important that my work brings enjoyment then worrying about the last penny - I can understand if the funds for the first installment would be more useful under the current circumstances. If this is not the main concern, then really don't worry - I'm more then happy to help a valued MDAC owner and fellow PFM'er through hard times :)

Otherwise I'll pass your Amps on at the next request (although you will loose about 5% due to PayPal fees) :(

Hi John, this evening I summoned up the courage to discuss this with my wife - after a few rounds of "How much?!" and "How big?!", she looked me straight in the eye and said "You really want these VFET things, right?" to which I said "Yes" - she pondered this for a little while, then said "The way I see it, jobs will come and go, and even if this one goes, you are always going to love music; if it's important to you, it's important to me - we'll find a way"

I know, I am very lucky to have such a lady ...

Please keep me on the VFET list, and excuse my wobble - I will follow the project with renewed interest.

Best regards,

George

George,

You have a lovely Lady there - please don't worry about the balance I'm sure we will find away to put them together - VFETs, Plasma displays, Tubes are all secured - its just the chassis, Current dumping Output MOSFETs and transformers that will be the biggest cost :)

I hope during my trip to HK to have the VFET chassis designed and possibly prototyped - this is when the fun starts - solid milled aluminum heatsinks and front panels etc :)

Hi John,

Thank you again, but I must firmly say I cannot accept - please request the VFET balance at the appropriate time - although your kindness is very much appreciated :)

Best regards,

George

Hi John, this evening I summoned up the courage to discuss this with my wife - after a few rounds of "How much?!" and "How big?!", she looked me straight in the eye and said "You really want these VFET things, right?" to which I said "Yes" - she pondered this for a little while, then said "The way I see it, jobs will come and go, and even if this one goes, you are always going to love music; if it's important to you, it's important to me - we'll find a way"

I know, I am very lucky to have such a lady ...

Please keep me on the VFET list, and excuse my wobble - I will follow the project with renewed interest.

Best regards,

George

George

It's a trap.....RUN!!!!!

George
Sounds like you have a good 'un there! Reminds me off when I took my beloved late wife to audition some Quad 989s. You know how big they are right? After hearing them she encouraged me to buy them. She was a good 'un too.

Sorry for being rather absent these past couple of days, with Moosemeats help (A Big Thank you Bruce) the Rack for my Phase noise test system arrived from the US - all 180kgs of it!

I've been installing the system - ready to test the MDAC2's clock section and complete the testing of the Analogue PCB :)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86116171/Phase Noise test system Rack.JPG

This complex system (all 450kg+ of it) is required to test the very low Jitter clock of the MDAC2 design - so the next time someone claims a Jitter level, ask them to show you there "Rack" to prove it :)

George
Sounds like you have a good 'un there! Reminds me off when I took my beloved late wife to audition some Quad 989s. You know how big they are right? After hearing them she encouraged me to buy them. She was a good 'un too.

Mines just encouraged me to buy a nuvista 800 :eek:

It's already cost me a new bed for our daughter.
"But she doesn't need a new bed"
"Yoooouuuuu don't need an expensive amplifier but....."
"Yes dear"

Hey that's better then expected :) I don't know where I got the idea it was only 44.1KHz....

I'm not aware of much in the way of Multichannel DSD but maybe someone knows better?

Hi John,
I've got a heap of SACDs that have both a stereo and a 5.1 multi-channel layer. Would the multi-channel layer not be using DSD then ?

e.g.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dark-Side-Moon-40th-Anniversary/dp/B00008CLOA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1435744685&sr=8-1&keywords=pink+floyd+sacd

"Product Description
The Super Audio CD (SACD) features two disc layers. One layer contains a standard version of the album that works on any CD player. The other layer includes high-resolution stereo and a 5.1 surround version of the recording that works on SACD-compatible DVD players and home theatre systems. Both layers employ SACD's Direct Stream Digital (DSD) encoding process that samples the music 64 times faster than CD for unprecedented fidelity."

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Hi John,

Received Renatas email. I have just paid the 4th dev instalment.

Waiting with anticipation. :)

Thanks

Johan,

The MDAC2 is a VERY advanced design - I did not design down to a "cost", but for MDAC2 L2 GBP400 (+Shipping) is still a realistic target. The Digital PCB will be manufactured in Asia to keep costs under control, potentially also the analogue PCB but I'll still personally test, QC and listen to each set of boards for the MDAC2.

My pending trip to HK will arrange such details.

The minimum Vishay resistor complement will be x8 resistors and then x24 and upwards for the "premium" build....

Hi John

The likely cost for the addition of the x8/x24+ Vishay resistors should be fairly straight forward to decide. However, as to what, if any, audio benefit it brings can only be determined once some units have been built and preferably 'blind' tested? What is the plan with respect to the inclusion or not of any of the Vishay resistor complements with respect to evaluation before individuals have to commit to the option?

Hi John

The likely cost for the addition of the x8/x24+ Vishay resistors should be fairly straight forward to decide. However, as to what, if any, audio benefit it brings can only be determined once some units have been built and preferably 'blind' tested? What is the plan with respect to the inclusion or not of any of the Vishay resistor complements with respect to evaluation before individuals have to commit to the option?
I have to admit that I'm in a quandry over the additional Vishays as one part of my head tells me that they will not make any difference but the other part tells me that the non-premium model might not be such a good investment.

I have to admit that I'm in a quandry over the additional Vishays as one part of my head tells me that they will not make any difference but the other part tells me that the non-premium model might not be such a good investment.

I found a clearly audible difference between the Toy and Fusion versions on the occasion that I heard them,
and IIRC the only difference between them are the additional Bulk Metal Foil used in the Fusion.

Whether you prefer them or think them worthwhile is, of course, entirely up to you :)

I found a clearly audible difference between the Toy and Fusion versions on the occasion that I heard them,
and IIRC the only difference between them are the additional Bulk Metal Foil used in the Fusion.

Whether you prefer them or think them worthwhile is, of course, entirely up to you :)
But this is the thing- I am not likely to be given the opportunity to hear the two side by side before deciding, am I? And even then, my investment value consideration remains. I'm rather hoping that in the listening process John will decide that only a couple of extra ones are necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back