advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00100110)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi John,

We probably need a bit more info in order to help with quotes (weight, pick up & drop off addresses) but you could take a look at these websites to get an idea:

Global Forwarding
uShip, Inc
XSbaggage.com

Moosemeat,

Thank you for investigating :)

Here is the Ebay listing #:-

If you look at the picture below you can see the rack with the complete system installed.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86116171/phasenoise.jpg

I had most of the required test equipment, and just needed the 2 interface boxes and could use an existing rack unit to house the system, but having the original rack has value.

As you can see its rather large! This is the price to pay to be able to really measure the MDAC2's performance and insure in an optimised design.

Shipping to Czech Rep. tends to be mega expensive as we are a small country with not much going on, so I could arrange an address in Germany and collect by van...

I could even arrange collects from a depot somewhere in Germany / Czech Rep. or even the UK.

I can ill afford to get distracted at this time, if there's an easy way to ship, then I'd be happy - otherwise I'll try and contain myself and keep focuased on the MDAC2 / VFET.

Thanks jirij.

Does the quality of this cheap device can affect the jitter? Or the MDAC2 is immune to such problem?

giannitom,

I just bought a unit and once it arrives I'll measure its jitter performance + keep it in mind during the testing of the MDAC2.

I'll post the results here :) as it will be go to be able to advise others on a recommended HDMI solution for MDAC / MDAC2.

I'm sure we will get blitzed with "better solutions" but we might as well start somewhere :)

I could even arrange collects from a depot somewhere in Germany / Czech Rep. or even the UK.

I can ill afford to get distracted at this time, if there's an easy way to ship, then I'd be happy - otherwise I'll try and contain myself and keep focuased on the MDAC2 / VFET.

Hi John,

No problem, I can look into it. Can you please advise the best city to ship to in Czech Rep. / Germany / UK?

The item ships from Eatontown, New Jersey and I've asked the seller for the weight.

Thanks,
Bruce

Thanks jirij.

Does the quality of this cheap device can affect the jitter? Or the MDAC2 is immune to such problem?
I'd think such devices simply use the clock provided by HDMI as there's really not much they can do (without rebuffering the audio signal). There are even cheaper ones, but those don't have digital outputs and/or support only DTS mode. The one I linked has a 2ch switch.

In my opinion, this is something that should be solved earlier in the chain - digital audio out on the dvd player or the PC or whatever is used as an HDMI source. "Hacking" HDMI should be the last possible choice.

For example in a commercial venue when preparing an infrastructure for presentations - people typically hook their laptops via displayport/hdmi/vga spanning tens of meters and extracting audio on the projector end using the HDMI audio splitter is much easier than running a separate cable to the laptop.

Jirij,

I ordered a unit so I'll open it up and take measurements and pictures - you never know, it might be decent :)

Its amazing for the price - I wonder if it supports HiRes audio?

My PC is not so close to the amp. This is why i'm trying to figure out how to extract audio from HDMI (I'm using an HDMI extender over CAT 5/6 to link the PC to the TV)

Instead of using HDMI, can I use a USB network server like this?
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=251485118039

Interesting unit, I wonder if it supports Async USB? Should do, but I'd be interested how the "Virtual" USB port is created?..

A concern is that a lot of the small SoC used in such devices don't implement HS USB correctly - MDAC2 will be OK, but you might need an external USB hub to act as a Buffer/translator (as is the case with the SBT)

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Instead of using HDMI, can I use a USB network server like this?
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=251485118039
For "NAS" (network storage) yes, for controlling USB-connected MDAC, I'm not so sure. Devices like this vary vendor to vendor in terms of functionality. I purchased mine in ~2005 and it was really just print server. :) I doubt any of the reasonably-priced ones can work as DLNA renderers, but you never know ...
In any case, I'd see the HDMI splitter as the better solution here (more universal).

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Interesting unit, I wonder if it supports Async USB? Should do, but I'd be interested how the "Virtual" USB port is created?..

A concern is that a lot of the small SoC used in such devices don't implement HS USB correctly - MDAC2 will be OK, but you might need an external USB hub to act as a Buffer/translator (as is the case with the SBT)
I don't think it can even use USB audio devices. The "streaming" functionality seems to be just file sharing (possibly via HTTP). Even if it could, something like RPi would be better tool for the job. :)

Hi John,

No problem, I can look into it. Can you please advise the best city to ship to in Czech Rep. / Germany / UK?

The item ships from Eatontown, New Jersey and I've asked the seller for the weight.

Thanks,
Bruce

Bruce,

I sent you the details in a PM - but I don't see a record of it being sent, Pls. let me know if you don't receive it.

Bruce,

I sent you the details in a PM - but I don't see a record of it being sent, Pls. let me know if you don't receive it.

Yes, both received ok, thanks John. I have replied. This really all hinges on whether he'll sell if we arrange direct shipping ourselves (I've posed the question).

You could look at a re-shipping service i.e. you buy & ship to a US address provided by the re-shipper (I use comGateway's service for eBay but it's based in Portland, Oregon so not particularly helpful) however the double handling is going to make it much more expensive in any case.

Cheers,
Bruce

Bruce,

Thank for your efforts sadly the idea is just getting too complex, I'm surprised that there is no company whose seen the business opportunity and provides the service (something like comGateway but with shipping by sea).

I've just too much on my plate ATM, its 5.20am here in Czech and I'm still working, I really need to try and avoid making my days anymore complex :)

Once again thank you for your efforts - I'll try to better contain my "desires' in the future :)

Hi John,

He's just got back to me - "No problem just click on "buy it now" pay for it , then I will give you exact weight and dimensions so you can arrange pickup at my warehouse, and of course just email me a (waybill or Bill of lading)".

So I'll investigate further.

HDMI De-Embedders are essential if like me, you are using a blu-ray playing as source since the digital outs are now limited to 16-bit 48hz. This one came reccomended in a couple of reviews. I had to source a UK power supply seperately as it's only distributed in the US. http://www.kanexpro.com/item/?id=HAECOAX

Apparently the Kanex Pro supports 2CH SPDIF output to 192 kHz - the only problem with the unit is that it defaults to 5.1ch and the selector button is "Soft" ie momentary so that you have to press the button each time you power-up the unit to select 2ch Stereo mode - which is a shame.

There is one more Problem with all HDMI Extractors. Afaik none of them can be used to get a HiRes Audio-Stream out, as all you will get is DD, DTS Core and unconpressed LPCM of these two. TrueHD and DTS MA are not transmitted unencryped and could anyway not be send over one SPdif line because of the higher bandwith. If one likes to listen to these two Formats, the only two ways I know of are: Using a PC to decode the Formats and send it to the MDAC2 over USB (Stereo and with the Slave units up to 8ch surround) or to use a Vanity board with a Oppo Player over 4 separat SPdif lines (8 x 192/24). The second option will cause synchronisation problems because multiple MDACs can not be synchronized, but for Stereo SACD content it works fine.
I hope John will bring up a smart solution. Something like the Vanity board but without 4 separat SPdif lines. Maybe USB to MDAC2??? ;)

Nutron,

Its important that the MDAC2 be clock master in any multi-channel application (USB Async is Clock Master), that's why we will release an update to the Vanity design that Dominik designed many years ago that will enable external clocking of the player via the MDAC2's master clock.

To be honest, USB2 via a PC is just easier :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back