advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00100100)

Status
Not open for further replies.
While we are on the subject I am using my MDAC/n-Cores at around -25db has anyone removed R141 to reduce the gain on the n-Cores ?

Is it worthwhile ?

Given that I have never removed a surface mount device before and the smallest tip for my soldering iron is larger than the resistor itself, will it all end in disappointment and blaspheming ?

On the plus side, I have large magnification, a toothpick and a steady hand..

While we are on the subject I am using my MDAC/n-Cores at around -25db has anyone removed R141 to reduce the gain on the n-Cores ?

Yes.

Is it worthwhile?

Depends. I wanted to make sure I wouldn't blow my speakers from someone accidentally turning up the volume too far.

Given that I have never removed a surface mount device before and the smallest tip for my soldering iron is larger than the resistor itself, will it all end in disappointment and blaspheming ?

You should be OK - removing the resistors is much easier than replacing them. Just apply some heat carefully, while applying gentle pressure with toothpick.

Is it worthwhile ?

I have removed mine,( and put it back in a couple of times ) although it works fine with MDAC and sensitive speakers I get the feeling of a slight loss of dynamics with speakers of 90db and lesser sensitivity.
some passive preamps and low output devices are really disastrous and not able to make the Ncores sing without the R141

You should be OK - removing the resistors is much easier than replacing them. Just apply some heat carefully, while applying gentle pressure with toothpick.

I recommend just cover the whole resistor with solder/heat and "roll" it of, the resistor easily breaks( or PCB) if both ends are not heated at the same time, removal of rest of solder after is easy and very important

Is it worthwhile ?

By the way if you are listening at around -25 db I really don't think you should remove it

I have removed mine,( and put it back in a couple of times ) although it works fine with MDAC and sensitive speakers I get the feeling of a slight loss of dynamics with speakers of 90db and lesser sensitivity.
some passive preamps and low output devices are really disastrous and not able to make the Ncores sing without the R141

Interesting, considering Bruno has actually stated that removing R141 might actually improve the performance of the nc400 slightly. Are you sure that the differences you hear are not due to very minor differences in volume/level?

I'm really hoping Captain LakeWest can find a way to make similar, if even 90% of the JFET performance Amplifiers with currently available components. At a later date I could afford these things but just not now....I feel like crying :-(

By the way if you are listening at around -25 db I really don't think you should remove it

Why not? -25 dB is a fair bit of SNR to throw away.

BTW, we should probably move all the hypex-related discussion to a thread in the DIY section.

Interesting, considering Bruno has actually stated that removing R141 might actually improve the performance of the nc400 slightly. Are you sure that the differences you hear are not due to very minor differences in volume/level?

the Ncore maybe yes, but it requires some more from the attached gear, overall a little too much gain are better than a little too little gain

:D:D

Two other MDAC users I know (thanks to this thread :) ) are also Hypex owners, one with Lowther Horns and one with Quad ESL's.
I have 4 x nCores that I bi-amp and bi-wire my Dali Epicon 8 with.

But will be replaced with a pair of VFET amps:p

the Ncore maybe yes, but it requires some more from the attached gear, overall a little too much gain are better than a little too little gain

I would say that as a general rule, the opposite is true. Too much gain and you sacrifice SNR, and in worst case hit clipping/limiting/nonlinearity resulting in decreased dynamic range, while too little gain only means you can't play quite as loud as you would otherwise.

AKASHA/JULF many thanks for your valuable input, on reflection I have decided to leave it as is until I have tried my turntable and passive pre.

I think it was covered before but I can't remember, what is the preferred listening level to have the MDAC set to, by this I mean the level at which it should sound best?

I can happily listen at -20. Last night I actually had it at 0 but the recording was a fairly quiet one and it was very loud, most enjoyable though. I only listened for 1 track as I'd worry for my hearing.

Whats your digital source - are you using USB?

Do you also use the MDAC's line outputs with Amplifier / speakers? as the headphone output is the same as the main outputs so any "noise issues" should be present with both Line outputs and headphone use.

Thanks for your reply.

I'm using E-MU 1212M as digital source. The noise present even if I switched the input source to unused one. I've tried line outputs with amplifier. Since the amplifier uses analog volume, noise presents only at nearly max volume. But I don't know if it's produced by the amp itself. I will test with an amp without M-DAC again later.

Just look at that horrid cheap computer grade ribbon cable carrying the audio signals... but an eye watering amount of VFETs!

Wow so many VFETs on the amp. Are they using all VFETs for the output stages ? How does it the sound like ? Would also cost a lot, right ?

John, would you experiment with an all VFET design on the Reference VFET Amp ?

Hi, welcome aboard.

If you convert your phones to run direct from the XLR outputs SQ should improve, it did for my Senn. 600. Though going from 3 core TRS lead to 4 core lead helps in itself.

Hi Misterdog. This is an interesting suggestion I'd never considered. Would this have a benefit for a proper amplifier over a short run? If it did then I suppose it means the circuitry in the DAC is better than the standard RCA output (assumption alert!). Could be a cheap upgrade for me so it's pricked my ears up! Worth trying?

Holy smoke, I just realised that the VFETs are the same as Nelson Pass' SIT devices!

My current amp is actually the original ancestor of the First Watt amps, the Pass Labs Aleph 3. I love the simplicity of Nelson's First Watt designs, which to me produces a sound like no other. I've been waiting for Nelson to do a kind of "Aleph SIT", which I suspect will be my ultimate amp. The Alephs and current J2 are the highest gain First Watt amps, which in my system (with low sensitivity speakers and no preamp) is just barely enough (his SIT-1 and SIT-2 have too little gain).

Now I find out John is doing his own SIT (VFET) amp, with power to burn. I still love the simplicity of the First Watts (which necessitates low gain and low power), but the idea of never having to worry about gain again while having a SIT/VFET-based amp, hmmm...

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back