advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00100100)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My m-DAC gets stuck every now and then. VU-meter is popping up as a sound goes, but nothing comes out from speakers. Re-flashing firmware corrects problem.

Firmware is latest, 10.

Any suggestions?

I am sure this has been asked and answered/discussed before but I am finding conflicting answers in different places.

So, what is the general consensuses among MDAC community on what is better; a good CD transport connected to MDAC via BNC, or a good Ripped CD file (not compressed) send to MDAC from a computer via USB?

Appreciate your comments.

CD transport is better than the ripped file. The latter sounds slightly 'grainy' in comparison, especially with female vocals.

The Rega Apollo R is very good indeed and as a transport punches well into £2K territory, imho yet costs only £550 which is a bit cheaper than a bloody computer.

The top-loading mechanism needs less clearance above it than people often think.

CD transport is better than the ripped file. The latter sounds slightly 'grainy' in comparison, especially with female vocals.

I can only imagine that if there's a perceptible difference there's something sub-optimal about your setup. Maybe it's using USB.

I use dlna and I've never heard a difference.

- Richard.

I can only imagine that if there's a perceptible difference there's something sub-optimal about your setup. Maybe it's using USB.

I use dlna and I've never heard a difference.

- Richard.

It wasn't my setup but the guy whose it was knew what he was doing as he is a computer programmer as well as an audiophile.. I've heard even worse than that from a PC like poor definition and dynamics.

Got a laptop?

Download DBPowerAmp, using your 30 day trial to rip a couple of cds using accurip into FLAC, connect to MDac via USB and give that a try.. Works really well, and laptops are cheaper than transports on the whole ;)

I also use DBPowerAmp and highly recommend it but may I suggest that if you find the program useful you should pay the €35 and not abuse the trial period.

As you may have guessed, I am a programmer :)

Apologies if this has been asked before, I've spent a good while searching and can't find specific info:

I'm trying a couple of options to stream to M-DAC, one is streaming via AppleTV with home sharing. This doesn't work with optical connection to M-DAC as it has dropouts every 3-4 seconds. Simultaneous audio over HDMi to TV works perfectly even with 24-bit wav files so I don't think it's a network issue. (I'd try direct link but no ethernet port on my macbook) I think it's either a resampling issue at the ATV or a buffering/jitter issue between ATV and the M-DAC. Are there any setting in MDAC to use larger buffer? I can only see something about output buffer in MDAC manual. This also happens when streaming from iTunes store btw or sending audio from movies etc. which uses wired connection.

An alternative I'm thinking of is to use a raspberry Pi as a media streamer (now that the new model is out) and use either USB or a HifiBerry Coax. has anyone tried that option with MDAC? There is a post here that says it will not work with USB http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showpost.php?p=2248422&postcount=216 so the digi+ converter would be required but I can't find anyone reporting success or failure with the Digi+ and MDAC.

It wasn't my setup but the guy whose it was knew what he was doing as he is a computer programmer as well as an audiophile.. I've heard even worse than that from a PC like poor definition and dynamics.

Steven Toy, I can see the CD transport setup but what was your computer/audiophiles computer's setup? I mean in terms of OS/media player.

What I am trying to figure out is why you heard the difference? Is it something that is inherent to all PC/MAC/LINUX system no matter what, or has it something to do with the media player used or some other configuration?

Steven Toy, I can see the CD transport setup but what was your computer/audiophiles computer's setup? I mean in terms of OS/media player.

What I am trying to figure out is why you heard the difference? Is it something that is inherent to all PC/MAC/LINUX system no matter what, or has it something to do with the media player used or some other configuration?

I don't use a media player. Others have brought theirs round here on occasion. Computers are basically noisy buggers and even the likes of the Quiet PC don't cut it compared to a good CD transport.

I've come down with a Cold / Flu so too ill to work on the PCB design - with the fever I'll just make too many errors - this really disappoints me as I so want to see the completion of this PCB ASAP.

wju,

While I cannot concentrate on the PCB design, I've taken the opportunity to take a look at your MDAC - WOW you really did blow the unit, the problem is that the PCB has been burnt to carbon, and there is little in the way of PCB tracking remaining to replace the damaged parts.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86116171/WJU Blown.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86116171/WJU Removed.jpg

I'll try my best, I replaced the parts but little luck yet, I'm having a hard time to track down the other blown parts... Fevers not helping :(

Lemsips and Herbal Tablets will be packed and brought with us next week.

There is a really great sweet shop near here. I understand that you like jelly beans.

Anything else, like wine gums, fruit pastilles, gum drops etc?

I also use DBPowerAmp and highly recommend it but may I suggest that if you find the program useful you should pay the €35 and not abuse the trial period.

You can also use CDex in full paranoiac mode. It's free and works well.

I don't use a media player. Others have brought theirs round here on occasion. Computers are basically noisy buggers and even the likes of the Quiet PC don't cut it compared to a good CD transport.

Why not use something like this to isolate the noise coming from the USB cable? : http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JOJRF6K/?tag=pinkfishmedia-20

I'm pretty sure that buying a small PC + that cable costs less than a high-end CD transport.

Why not use something like this to isolate the noise coming from the USB cable? : http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JOJRF6K/?tag=pinkfishmedia-20
Doesn't work with USB1.1 devices (MDAC) and works with only a very limited set of USB2.0 ones (IIRC supports only BULK transfers).

This discussion (as the countless ones before) is pointless, some people prefer computers, some CD players. There might be some sound difference, but that's beyond the point of preference.

I now have a speaker setup of Dali speakers with a Quad amp and can hear noticeable high frequency buzzing when the MDAC is connected via USB to the computer - no amounts of USB isolators or external supplies help with that. This buzzing may be anything from ground noise (the quad doesn't have balanced inputs) to RF artifacts injected into the signal wire.

We'll see if MDAC2 with its isolation helps with it, but I'm not really bothered - the noise can't be possibly noticed when music is playing. Also, my normal listening level is around -45dB, so it might as well be just the amplifier being too ... amplificative. :)

I've got myself a new pair of headphones (Beyerdynamic T1). Actually these are my first 'real' headphones.

my thanks to adamdea post 667 and steve toy post 683 for the most helpful input so far .I would like to know what johns' thoughts are as to the ideal replacement cd 'player' to partner the mdac2 if such a beast exists.

This discussion (as the countless ones before) is pointless, some people prefer computers, some CD players. There might be some sound difference, but that's beyond the point of preference.

I wouldn't say pointless. It seems that there is no definitive answer either way.

I guess the consensus is that there is no consensuses :)

I keep on using my Foobar for now. When I get my VFET and MDAC/TDAC will do my own testing using my old Marantz MK3 Signature as CD transport. I will report back if I found any useful observations.

Thanks everyone for responding.

I'm pretty sure that buying a small PC + that cable costs less than a high-end CD transport.

My HiFi PC cost less.

some people prefer computers, some CD players. There might be some sound difference, but that's beyond the point of preference.

Indeed

it might as well be just the amplifier being too ... amplificative. :)

Nice adjective. I must reuse that.

New entry into the OED in 2 years time everyone

I guess the consensus is that there is no consensuses :)

Yep.

polemics be damned
listening to vinyl at the moment and just swapped out my old cartridge for a new one -seems to me that that in the world of vinyl you can believe or, should i say, hear the difference.digital is far more nebulous .i can hear the difference when my cart is on song or passed its best.
i know its all sounds good so why not get the best out of what i have got i.e. a zillion cds.

just the amplifier being too ... amplificative. :)

Or even too gainey. :D

Just installed an S Class Benz cartridge on my turntable, shows how much work there is still to do with digital audio.

Though the cart costs as much as the Mdac. (careful with that duster !)and is only considered, one of the best BUDGET! cartridges.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back