advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00100100)

Status
Not open for further replies.
And I seriously doubt that a project manager could speed up the crucial design phase.

Well you just don't get what PM would do!

He take the BS aspects away from John, and get him to focus on what he's good at - designing analogue Hi-Fi!

PM would find the person / company needed to do the metal work, source the parts etc, etc. All the things that distract from the design could be done by someone else (PM).

Dear monster749.
It is debatable whose mind is closed. If you have an issue with John's way of working, then feel free to leave the MDAC2 project (alone). Nobody is asking you to be along for the ride if you don't enjoy it or believe in its goals.
Cheer up, relax, just be.
Peter

I'm not involved in the M-DAC2 project, though I have chipped in a few ideas (mostly about getting HDMI input) I've even spent about £200 on HDMI audio extractor to find one that gives 192KHz SP-DIF.

I follow this thread because I wanted to find out when the M-IMP / M-AMP are going to be designed - probably never :mad:

I'd love a V-FET amp, but to pricey for me. Maybe a few upgrades to my new M-PWR in a year or two would be good. :D

A question regarding the full sice TDAC.

Today my setup looks like: MDAC –> PreAmp –> active Xover –> 2 Amplifiers -> Speakers
For next year I have the plan to go full active -> 3 Amplifier.

The TDAC can, even more than the MDAC and the MDAC2, be a substitute for a preamplifier. I have the opportunity to integrate the Xover within the Amplifiers. At the end of the day I would like the following setup: TDAC –> 3 Amplifiers -> Speakers

But for that setup I need a third output pair at the TDAC.
Do you think it is possible to integrate such a feature in the TDAC? In whatever kind...

I think that some are interested in the feature because more and more people are interested in activating there speakers. And most selling speakers have up to three channels.

Well you just don't get what PM would do!

He take the BS aspects away from John, and get him to focus on what he's good at - designing analogue Hi-Fi!

PM would find the person / company needed to do the metal work, source the parts etc, etc. All the things that distract from the design could be done by someone else (PM).

I'm working with project managers on a daily basis and I'm well aware of the benefits. But you also have to consider that this is a fairly small project and a new PM would need a project induction period to get up to speed. IMO this will eat up much of the time saved. Just my 2 cents...

Today my setup looks like: MDAC –> PreAmp –> active Xover –> 2 Amplifiers -> Speakers
For next year I have the plan to go full active -> 3 Amplifier.

The TDAC can, even more than the MDAC and the MDAC2, be a substitute for a preamplifier. I have the opportunity to integrate the Xover within the Amplifiers. At the end of the day I would like the following setup: TDAC –> 3 Amplifiers -> Speakers

Do you think it is possible to integrate such a feature in the TDAC? In whatever kind...

I think that some are interested in the feature because more and more people are interested in activating there speakers. And most selling speakers have up to three channels.

Maybe a 3 way Y-cable would do the trick.

Maybe a 3 way Y-cable would do the trick.

Thanks fusion
Then leaving the second output pair empty? or better use a standard and a 2wY cabel at the second output?

What are the pros and cons of a X way Y cable? Do it have a influence of the transmitter stability?

Well, both connector pairs (XLR & RCA) are driven by the same output stage. If your amps provide XLR inputs, I would personally prefer using a custom made 3-way XLR cable. Keep in mind that the RCA output is only wired to the positive phase of the output stage.

I'm working with project managers on a daily basis and I'm well aware of the benefits. But you also have to consider that this is a fairly small project and a new PM would need a project induction period to get up to speed. IMO this will eat up much of the time saved. Just my 2 cents...

Lars is already up to speed!

I project manger would only increase my workload, having to bring them up to speed and create the reams of paper work they require - its totally the last thing I need.

I have dim view of project mangers I've worked with (no disrespect to Lars) as they only think in straight lines and cannot understand the creative process real unigue designs need to take.

If I wanted to be treated like that then I'd be working for a company. I need space and not someone asking me everyday for an update then unhappy because promised timescales have not been met. The design will take as long as it takes… and no amount of pushing going to speed it up, the only thing that will happen is compromises will be made to meet the “required” timescales… This NOT in the best interest of the MDAC2, or those who have waited patiently for the very best.

What I will need here in Czech rep. is an engineer to help with component ordering and other "general" duties etc. but this will have to wait until the labs completed, which in turn requires the Analogue PCB to be issued before I devote anytime to completing the lab.

Semi-retirement was my description, my circumstances now allow me to take the slow lane designing the type of products I can be really proud off, rather then cranking out “run of the mill” designs – I have no interest in the designs finical viability – the 150 or so MDAC2’s we will build would financially hardly justify over 3 years development – but personally I just want to design the very best DAC I can given the constraints of the MDAC chassis… I’m very proud of the MDAC2 design so far, I’m also REALLY looking forward to the VFET amp as it’s a totally unique topology and builds up on Current Dumping which I feel deserves better attention and its potential should not be judged by the Quad designs which are basically based upon the original late 1970’s circuit.

You can send your PCB or the whole unit, it does not save much on shipping cost this end... Might be better to send the whole unit as you can just plug it in an "go" once we ship it back to you.

I suggest keeping your MDAC toy "whole" - we are moving slowly to having a completed chassis with PSU for the MDAC2 sometime in the near future...

Over the past few weeks I've ordered enough Vets to make 26 pairs of Amps although I've limited the "production" to 20 pairs - we have a handful of positions left :)

The balance of VFETs will be held as "Service spare parts" - although the design of the VFET amps makes it impossible to damage them under external fault conditions.

Hi John, If you have availability I think I'm now probably interested in the VFET project. Could you point me at the details so I can sort something out?

Phil

I like that a lot ! Good find !
Shame to hide that in a cabinet.
Next year I,m liberating my gear into the open air !
Just because I can. :)

I like that a lot ! Good find !
Shame to hide that in a cabinet.
Next year I,m liberating my gear into the open air !
Just because I can. :)

Yep, they are really beautifully machined - they feel solid and quality, pride of ownership :)

The vendor CNC's these from a solid lump of aluminium - I plan to visit China as soon as the MDAC2 Analogue board is completed to set the ball rolling for the VFET amps chassis and ultimately the TDAC / MDAC2 Slave and retrofitable MDAC2 chassis...

Sorry for the Delay in the VFET amp project, but they will be unique and stunning :)

The VFET sample Machined Heasinks arrived - these are 100mm High, production heatsinks will be 150mm.

The look and feel stunning - fitting for an amplifier of the VFET stature - I hope you will also agree :)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86116171/VFET 100mm Heatsink.JPG

The 8200MB chassis really would not do the VFET Amp justice - also the design has now grown being a fully bridged Amp.

Looking at that (and now know what direction i'm regarding speakers), i wished i'd have stayed on the list now! :(

Yep, they are really beautifully machined - they feel solid and quality, pride of ownership :)

The vendor CNC's these from a solid lump of aluminium - I plan to visit China as soon as the MDAC2 Analogue board is completed to set the ball rolling for the VFET amps chassis and ultimately the TDAC / MDAC2 Slave and retrofitable MDAC2 chassis...

Sorry for the Delay in the VFET amp project, but they will be unique and stunning :)

Just glad to be on the list !
Is the face plate the same colour ?
BTW the photo makes it seem champagne in colour.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back