advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00011111)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If an ADC is added it would be nice to mix the analogue input with one of the digital inputs for some applications (i.e. music instrument, mic). But here I'm assuming there is little delay between the analogue input and the output.

Could we play Vinyl direct through the MDAC then. ? ( using a suitable Phono stage )

Yes, thats the idea :) You can use with a conventional Phono Pre-amplifier - at a later date we will design a very high quality Phone "flat frequency response Gain Stage" which will amplify the low level MC /MM cartridge output, and the MDAC2's on-board DSP / FPGA will perform the RIAA equalization on the digital domain in real time.

This Pre-amplifier will have selectable Internal / External RIAA equalization to allow "recording" onto your PC Pure unprocessed DSD data (where we could not apply DSP Equalization without processing the DSD data).

I.e is analogue to PCM/DSD conversion done on the fly ? or do we need to rip to a hard drive first.

Yes - real time conversion, so its would work just like a conventional Analogue pre-amplifier, the MDAC2 will convert the Analogue input to the selected digital sampling rate... (14MHz in its Highest quality mode) - then perform Gain / EQ etc and convert back to analogue (all in real time), no PC required...

This for me is indeed the last piece in the puzzle!

Full DAC with Analogue input with volume control, and bluetooth for the wife! = no need for an extra preamp box - right?

Hi Rob, Yes correct - but you would still need an external phone pre-amplifier if you wanted to use a turntable.

John i'm currently having an issue with Vinyl through the analogue in of my current DAC (MF M1SDAC) where the analogue 'line in' is limited to 1volt so i get clipping on loud recordings, what will the equivalent voltage be on the MDAC2 for the analogue in?

The ADC input level would be set to 2.2Vrms, but we can customise this level if required with a simple resistor change.

3. DSP+ Bluetooth + Analogue attenuator + Hi Performance ADC (+ GBP200 + Analogue attenuator & ADC materiel cost).
Hi John, sounds great!
Am I correct that the ADC will be using the analogue bypass inputs?
Just wondering if I'd be able to connect a turntable without having to disconnect my AV processor from the bypass.

If there's any way to leave them both connected, then this sounds like it will meet all my pre-amp requirements without any extra boxes, which will make it easily worth the extra £100 alone!

If an ADC is added it would be nice to mix the analogue input with one of the digital inputs for some applications (i.e. music instrument, mic). But here I'm assuming there is little delay between the analogue input and the output.

Sounds like a Karaoke application :D

But its should be possible, we can delay the "Digital input path" to compensate for the ADC path delay... so not a problem - we can even make the delay adjustable - this is the beauty of having DSP / FPGA onboard :)

Hi John, sounds great!
Am I correct that the ADC will be using the analogue bypass inputs?
Just wondering if I'd be able to connect a turntable without having to disconnect my AV processor from the bypass.

If there's any way to leave them both connected, then this sounds like it will meet all my pre-amp requirements without any extra boxes, which will make it easily worth the extra £100 alone!

I'll try :)

Even with ADC the MDAC2 isn't a PreAmp with fully integrated analogue input, right?

Depends what your asking, with the ADC the MDAC2 can handle an analogue input - but it will be converted to digital at a 14MHz sampling rate - thus is much closer to "analogue" then say a CD source of 44.1KHz - its sampled at over x300 times faster then CD :)

Did I need ADC to get RoomEQ or better RoomEQ?
No, the ADC is NOT required for room EQ, although you will need some way to measure the room response - with a Microphone input - most PC's support this Mic input.

You can buy simple USB Microphones (cheaply) - we will look into sourcing these so we can supply a ready to go package.

There is already quite some delay in the digital input path (when using a PC). But I wouldn't like any delay in the analogue input either!

Would you like to make guitar/bass effects? :D

sounds more and more promising, a built in upgradeable DSP multitool, but if it has option of RIAA EQ, will it then be necessary to have a gain stage in front, for high output cartridges ?

You can use with a conventional Phono Pre-amplifier - at a later date we will design a very high quality Phone "flat frequency response Gain Stage" which will amplify the low level MC /MM cartridge output, and the MDAC2's on-board DSP / FPGA will perform the RIAA equalization on the digital domain in real time.

This Pre-amplifier will have selectable Internal / External RIAA equalization to allow "recording" onto your PC Pure unprocessed DSD data (where we could not apply DSP Equalization without processing the DSD data).

There is already quite some delay in the digital input path (when using a PC). But I wouldn't like any delay in the analogue input either!

Would you like to make guitar/bass effects? :D

You know with the ADC / DAC + DSP & FPGA anything is possible with a simple software update :) so long as theres enough "Pledged funding" for a feature to make it financially viable we (Dominik :D ) can write the software.... simple features can be added for free - others that require more development time can be added for a nominal fee :)

Hi Rob, Yes correct - but you would still need an external phone pre-amplifier if you wanted to use a turntable.

The ADC input level would be set to 2.2Vrms, but we can customise this level if required with a simple resistor change.

Thanks John.

i would suggest that you test this with some loud recording singles and a high output MM cart. As i suspect that 2.2Vrms may not be a high enough ceiling for some powerful phono stages crossed with some loud 45rpm singles.

Paul R (a cleverer man than me in these matters) explained the goings on with my cart and phono stage here: http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showpost.php?p=2280512&postcount=15

You mentioned that the analogue in will have attenuation - would the attenuation sort the above issue?

Cheers
Rob.

Yes, thats the idea :) You can use with a conventional Phono Pre-amplifier - at a later date we will design a very high quality Phone "flat frequency response Gain Stage" which will amplify the low level MC /MM cartridge output, and the MDAC2's on-board DSP / FPGA will perform the RIAA equalization on the digital domain in real time.

This is a great idea.

Jack

JohnW, I thought that the basic unit which I was purchasing already had DSD support? is this now a 100 upgrade bundled with bluetooth and analogue input?

http://mdac2.lakewestaudio.com/

Yes - no change, the "Basic Unit" offers DSD Replay ONLY (as it has no ADC's) while the +GBP200 option offers both DSD replay & recording. I believe your confusing DSP with DSD :)

BTW, while this does not apply to you, those on the "At Cost" Toy / Fusion list qualify for the Basic unit "At Cost" - while the DSP & ADC versions are at extra cost as we need to recoup the extra development work.

thanks, i will reread the last few weeks of threads to see if I can get it straight. :)

Do you feel the ADC will sound better/same/worse than using the analogue bypass? other than having RIAA digitized which would give improvements if the analogue RIAA is calculated incorrectly?

I'm all in for the most advanced version as options are awesome, but like you said, I am always going for the best sound quality during replay of USB and occasionally my turntable.

Thanks John.

i would suggest that you test this with some loud recording singles and a high output MM cart. As i suspect that 2.2Vrms may not be a high enough ceiling for some powerful phono stages crossed with some loud 45rpm singles.

You mentioned that the analogue in will have attenuation - would the attenuation sort the above issue?

The "Theoretical" 14V is a very high input level - its not surprising the MF is having issues - Our own designed Phone stage will be correctly gain matched for the MDAC2 ADC input - you can still use your Phono stage but with input attenuators (-18dB), but you could mostly likely get away with less, say -12dB.

The Dino was designed for MCs, and as such has too much gain for your MM and hence your poor MF is struggling - its not the fault of the MF - but rather the fact your using a MC phono pre-amplifier with a MM cartridge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back