advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00011111)

Status
Not open for further replies.
One question whilst I'm here, I plan to buy a turntable sometime in the next couple of years, no rush. I have no analogue inputs atm. The volume is fixed on the analogue bypass on the MDAC2

I've got an idea brewing that will benefit integrating an Analogue system - but I'd like to say little at this time until I've given it slightly more consideration, rather cryptic I know, but I just want to be certain its feasible.

The Analogue bypass allows you to connect both your DAC (digital system) and an Analogue system to the same power amplifiers without having to swap cables - the MDAC2 can route your external Analogue input to the power amplifiers when selected via its front panel / Remote control or when the MDAC2 is powered Off.

I've got an idea brewing that will benefit integrating an Analogue system - but I'd like to say little at this time until I've given it slightly more consideration, rather cryptic I know, but I just want to be certain its feasible.

Sounds promising John. This would be the icing on the cake for me.

Hi John,
My MDAC has finally arrived and I can't wait to listen to it! Pity I have to go to work...
I'll be back with impressions as soon as I listen to it.
Thank you very much for your efforts!

Now that sounds like a trip to Czechs in order.... with one of your units to sacrifice itself for the greater good :D

John,

My sister is due to deliver my nephew sometime in those weeks. As you can imagine there will be a lot of stuff going on.

I could either send you one of my units or maybe you could send me an evaluation board?

Michael

Quick MDAC 2 question: The unit will still be usable as a DAC/Pre amp right?

Only the volume control wont apply to the analogue input as it is a passthrough? And this is why there is talk of a passive pre amp as a future Westlake product?

Sorry if these questions have already been covered, i'm playing catchup!

Cheers.
Rob.

That's my understanding too, but John has recently hinted at the possibility of including a level control for the bypass... at least that was my interpretation!
Would indeed be a very nice addition

That's my understanding too, but John has recently hinted at the possibility of including a level control for the bypass... at least that was my interpretation!

Agreed. Ideally; i'd like to run the MDAC2 as my pre.

The Analogue bypass allows you to connect both your DAC (digital system) and an Analogue system to the same power amplifiers without having to swap cables - the MDAC2 can route your external Analogue input to the power amplifiers when selected via its front panel / Remote control or when the MDAC2 is powered Off.

This sounds good and will be what I am looking for.

Jack

This sounds promising and is exactly what I am looking for.

Is it a built in record cleaning machine :D

could it be some kind of phono stage equalisation built into the dsp?

the more i think about the potential flexibility that dsp will bring the more i like it :D

even bluetooth would occasionally be useful for the times when a friend visits and says 'hey have you heard...'

------------

hmm equalisation is one thing but presumably there'd need to be some additional amplification to line level....oh well :p

Quick MDAC 2 question: The unit will still be usable as a DAC/Pre amp right?

Only the volume control wont apply to the analogue input as it is a passthrough? And this is why there is talk of a passive pre amp as a future Westlake product?

Sorry if these questions have already been covered, i'm playing catchup!

Cheers.
Rob.

Yes MDAC2 will still be usable as a DAC/pre.

I'm up for the DSP option. I really like the idea of the tone control too - miss these. So much easier than piddling around with wires when you just want to boost things a bit. Probably makes me a hifi heretic but hey ho...

I'm going to build more efficient speakers later this year so the attenuation for me is a big yes please. My current set are 85db and these match well, the next are likely to be nearer 90db so I'll need some help to keep things in hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back