advertisement

Mattress recommendations

Go and try out somewhere. And have an open budget. The right bed will be the right bed. The difference between a a £300 mattress and a £1000 mattress is about 25p / night over 8 years. As we get older it’s important to treat our bodies well. Being really comfortable can help you sleep.

Memory foam is barely worth using as a pillow, let alone a mattress.

We bought a Simba hybrid foam/spring mattress from their eBay return site about 2 years ago. £257 for a super king size.
It’s an excellent way not to spend £1000+ on some other marketing miracle.

I suspect because of the (very) awkward size/weight, bed shops seem to be one of those sectors where you will often find good, long-established local shops with a loyal customer base. Perhaps family run. Online reviews will pinpoint them.

Worth checking those out for good advice and the bed equivalent of a tune dem.

We bought a Simba hybrid foam/spring mattress from their eBay return site about 2 years ago. £257 for a super king size.
It’s an excellent way not to spend £1000+ on some other marketing miracle.
how do you find it? we have one of those on our shortlist.

We have a Simba topper and it is ok - bit hot for me...

how do you find it? we have one of those on our shortlist.

We have a Simba topper and it is ok - bit hot for me...
Neither of us dislike it. It seems to support in the right areas. It certainly doesn’t make me overheat (she’s always cold).
I try not to get too hung up about mattresses. You can spend a fortune and find you’ve made a big mistake, which is why I would agree that anything over that and I’d be wanting a few months money back guarantee.
The Simba was so cheap that I didn’t worry that it came with only a 30 day return policy in their eBay shop.

Emma made by Tempur suits the gaffer who has trouble getting too hot and uncomfortable. memory foam made her sweat buckets. Time will tell how long it lasts. Of course she's not you, and it is very much a personal thing. If you live anywhere near North Shropshire, I've got a van👍

Cannot recommend a memory foam one, have had a couple at the price tony mentions and they are toast after 2 years.

Back to ViSpring now, but certainly not at 600 quid.

Memory foam is off the list. Looks like I may have to push the budget a bit, but that is doable. Lets say £1k absolute tops including delivery. Traditional construction and UK manufacturing a bonus. If I’m paying that much for a mattress it has to outlive me!

I’m around 80kg if that matters.

PS Simba is one of the ones that put me off memory foam, really great reviews from new buyers, not good long term as they seem to collapse or go soft after a year or two.

We got one from Warren Evans a couple of years back, and I still love it.
We got a bed and mattress from Warren Evans yonks ago when we got our first flat in Camden. They were great to deal with. They moved out of Camden a good while back so I'm glad to hear they're still in business.

Memory foam is off the list. Looks like I may have to push the budget a bit, but that is doable. Lets say £1k absolute tops including delivery. Traditional construction and UK manufacturing a bonus. If I’m paying that much for a mattress it has to outlive me!

I’m around 80kg if that matters.

PS Simba is one of the ones that put me off memory foam, really great reviews from new buyers, not good long term as they seem to collapse or go soft after a year or two.

PS - Simba is mainly hybrid and not only memory foam.

We got a bed and mattress from Warren Evans yonks ago when we got our first flat in Camden. They were great to deal with. They moved out of Camden a good while back so I'm glad to hear they're still in business.

they went into receivership I think - shut all their showrooms, now online only IIRC

Had a Simba for a few years now and love it. No sags! Mind you, we do add a wool topper in the warmer months to help keep cool. I just love the way memory foam adopts my skinny ass's shape.

Dont laugh - but Premier Inns frequently offer what they buy for mattreses, the underlying divans, the duvets, pillows etc, all of it at a solid discount for the Commercial quality, allergen-free, brand-new unused - because it helps them, making mass-buy discounts. I think the VFM exceptional.

I like it / find it veh comfy

Dont laugh - but Premier Inns frequently offer what they buy for mattreses, the underlying divans, the duvets, pillows etc, all of it at a solid discount for the Commercial quality, allergen-free, brand-new unused - because it helps them, making mass-buy discounts. I think the VFM exceptional.

I agree
And
Available here

yes and although we stay frequently at PI, we find them very uncomfortable.

Either an IKEA or something from John Lewis. Definitely pocket springs IMO.
Get too hard rather than too soft as you can buy a topper later if necessary.

Which shows the impossible task of recommending mattresses at any price point on a forum.

One of those things in life where you get what you pay for. Our Savoir is now 15 years old and good as new.

Hypnos but it's not on budget. However I notice they now have an eBay outlet:
I would advise to avoid the Hypnos ones that have sewn-on toppers (these are what Premier Inn use) - the toppers deteriorate quite quickly, can't be replaced and also do not allow for the mattress to be flipped, only rotated.

Don’t buy a bed online. Go to a place, such as John Lewis (sales on), and try a few. Avoid foam as they get hot. Pocket sprung FTW.
Don't buy a bed based on lying on it for a minute in a store; it will tell you nothing about whether that's the right bed for you when you're lying in it for 8 hours a night. If you DO buy one in-store, make sure it comes with an 'xyz-night guarantee' where you can return it if you're not happy.

See above - they are the pillow-topped ones with the topper sewn-in - these should be avoided as the mattresses typically have a very short life as a result.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

advertisement

Back