advertisement

Mattress recommendations

Memory foam is off the list. Looks like I may have to push the budget a bit, but that is doable. Lets say £1k absolute tops including delivery. Traditional construction and UK manufacturing a bonus. If I’m paying that much for a mattress it has to outlive me!

I’m around 80kg if that matters.

PS Simba is one of the ones that put me off memory foam, really great reviews from new buyers, not good long term as they seem to collapse or go soft after a year or two.
This is the one I got - it's absolutely fine. I sleep well, no aches and pains.

I can't remember which supplier I got it from, whichever it was, they were outstanding to deal with. So easy to deal with that I would think nothing about having to replace it with another from them.

We did a lot of research and finally bought the Dura Natural Collection Royal Crown Pocket 2000. Standard double, pocket sprung. This looks like it. It's a deep mattress, well made. Turned out really well.

We've been very pleased with it. Wife says "firm and soft, perfect for me. Natural fibres". That's a "firm" recommendation. Happy to answer any questions about it. Andy

Which shows the impossible task of recommending mattresses at any price point on a forum.
As it's a hi-fi forum someone will be along to suggest doing away with the mattress altogether and sleeping in a hammock.
Someone else will claim it's impossible to sleep on a mattress costing less than £25k.
There will be a brief discussion on mattress 'directionality'.
By page 5 someone will have recommended a diet of amphetamines to avoid sleep altogether.

Once you have a decent returns policy on a mattress you will have peace of mind.
Best of luck with your choice.

How is the mattress supported? If it is on a sprung base, then the base is as likely worn out and will need replacing as well. If the bed has rigid slats, then mattress alone should be fine. I agree with a pocket-spring variant. More springs the better. I like the top layers to feature natural latex.

I agree that buying a mattress online (even with right of return) is a bad idea. I'd never buy shoes online for the same reason. It is a very personal fit. If you want to be sure you'll still like it after a few minutes let alone years, go out and try all sorts. You spend up to a third of your life in bed, so you really won't want to skimp on your investment in your own comfort and health.

How is the mattress supported? If it is on a sprung base, then the base is as likely worn out and will need replacing as well. If the bed has rigid slats, then mattress alone should be fine.

Bed is hardwood with a slatted base construction, no springing. It is structurally as good as new.

Don't buy a bed based on lying on it for a minute in a store; it will tell you nothing about whether that's the right bed for you when you're lying in it for 8 hours a night. If you DO buy one in-store, make sure it comes with an 'xyz-night guarantee' where you can return it if you're not happy.
Indeed, some manufacturers allow you to trial the mattress for a month or two. What happens with returns? God knows what some of these mattresses go through (don’t we shed loads of skin as we sleep?).

Indeed, some manufacturers allow you to trial the mattress for a month or two. What happens with returns? God knows what some of these mattresses go through (don’t we shed loads of skin as we sleep?).
John Ryan by Design specify that a mattress protector should be used during the 60-day guarantee if you think you're likely to invoke the return under the guarantee. I guess they know roughly how likely returns are and factor it into the cost of doing business and if they get the first part right (ie. recommending and selling the right mattress) then the returns should be pretty low.

Pocket sprung Ikea here, think it was £250. I cant fault it and I tried a load of those bed-in-a-box, they all went back.

Another futon?
we have one made locally which we bought in 2007. It's still great.
We got a luxury one made with wool and latex, it cost about £250 or 300 back then, but cotton ones are good too.

I suspect something similar to this at Feather & Black is what I’m after. Looks like traditional construction with natural materials and is within (the now extended) budget. Not ready to push the button quite yet, but conceptually I think that’s what I fancy rather than a load of foam layers etc.

That said there is also something attractive about picking something from the hotel market e.g. Premier Inn, Sleepeezee seem to have a model too (link). One would think they’d be pretty durable and long-lasting, plus one would think they’d done the research and the mattress would be a good fit for most people/tastes. I simply don’t have enough knowledge to even have formed any taste here, I’ve slept on what most people would likely describe as terrible beds all my life. My current mattress (which has springs) wasn’t expensive, but it is now no longer flat. As such ‘not terrible’ and ‘long lasting’ are my criteria here. The latter, plus my green political bias, draws me to natural materials and traditional construction. I’m sure whatever I buy will be better than anything I’ve had, but it is a confusing marketplace.

Indeed! I have a wool blanket on my mattress that I take off & shake when I change the sheets. I vacuum the mattress at the same time.

You should also air your bed because of the moisture you produce in your sleep, daily if you can.

Bed is hardwood with a slatted base construction, no springing. It is structurally as good as new.
Same as mine. I topped it with a mattress from these guys. https://www.yorkbeds.co.uk/

That was nearly ten years as ago and it's still going strong. They delivered to Herts and took the old one away for £20. Two guys from the factory drove it down the A1 rather than use a delivery agent. I suspect that may cost more these days!

The return mattresses from the foam brands tends to land up in charity furniture shops. Thats what we purchased they were essentially brand new for 200 quid. I suspect the foam mattresses cost and extremely small amount to make.

I suspect something similar to this at Feather & Black is what I’m after. Looks like traditional construction with natural materials and is within (the now extended) budget. Not ready to push the button quite yet, but conceptually I think that’s what I fancy rather than a load of foam layers etc.

That said there is also something attractive about picking something from the hotel market e.g. Premier Inn, Sleepeezee seem to have a model too (link). One would think they’d be pretty durable and long-lasting, plus one would think they’d done the research and the mattress would be a good fit for most people/tastes. I simply don’t have enough knowledge to even have formed any taste here, I’ve slept on what most people would likely describe as terrible beds all my life. My current mattress (which has springs) wasn’t expensive, but it is now no longer flat. As such ‘not terrible’ and ‘long lasting’ are my criteria here. The latter, plus my green political bias, draws me to natural materials and traditional construction. I’m sure whatever I buy will be better than anything I’ve had, but it is a confusing marketplace.
Yes looks like a good buy there. Wooden slat bases aren't ideal but you'll get away with it.

A proper sprug mattress in traditional materials i.e. wool, horse hair etc (not made by slaves) is going to have some serious weight to it i.e. you won't get it up a difficult staircase by yourself! If it's just for one person or more than one makes a difference. Try to remember to rotate and turn the mattress regularly. You really need to choose the firmness in a shop. Tip: Be certain that you're getting delivery to the specified room in your house.

Have a look at the Woolroom mattresses. Traditionally made, springs with natural wool. We have had one for 5 years and would def buy from them again. A 3000 spring mattress would come in budget and they do a 100 day guarantee.

we stay in many different hotels, perhaps once a month sometimes twice - this month it is three times.

Ever since we've been looking for a mattress, we've been pulling back the sheets to check the brands. Without fail these days they all use a memory foam topper. The Sleepeezzee one and the Premier Inn one are in our subjective view not very comfortable. Premier Inn one is very hot.

Our last mattress before the long lived Warren Evans, was a Sleepeezee one. It was OK, but it sagged alot after about 7 years IIRC.

We will almost certainly buy another from Warren Evans.....The wooden slatted bedframe we bought from Warren Evans with the last mattress is in good order.

We pondered for months about buying a new King-size mattress, and then this weekend we came across an online company called mattressnextday and decided on getting a Hypnos Ultimate Ortho Mattress grade7, which is the firmest mattress you can get and has excellent reviews, it is ideal for us, It was delivered the next day and cost £807 in total which included delivery to a room of our choice and disposal of the old one, they also have a return's policy if you are not happy, it is a super mattress and really well constructed.

advertisement

Back