advertisement

Mandatory microchipping for cats. The New World Order is here.

We tied a lead once on our 22 lb Maine Coon and he just played 'dead cat' and dragging a 22lb weight down the street didn't work well. We tried the leash because he was an indoor cat and when occasionally he did get out he would go after small dogs...

Frankly, I’m surprised this wasn’t mandatory years ago when it became compulsory for dogs. Cats roam more than dogs, so the need would appear to be obvious. Why dogs and not cats for all this time? So it’s overdue IMHO.
Cats don't kill children as often, though. They just shit in our gardens. Not quite as serious.

In the old days they had cats on ships to collect rats. Now, it seems, cats have chips to collect data about us.

Our last dog was chipped but didn’t realise it was a legal requirement. As far as humans being chipped conspiracies I can see some liking the idea but not for me.

In the old days they had cats on ships to collect rats. Now, it seems, cats have chips to collect data about us.

Friend had a rat in her wardrobe and her cat ran away. The neighbour's dog caught and killed the rat. The dog was chipped but the cat wasn't, is that a message?

FF

My cats seem to coexist with the local foxes, though the fox that kept coming into the kitchen to get to the cat's bowl, pushing past any humans on the way, got short shrift from the dainty little lady cat if she spotted it.

We have plenty of both using our garden and they seem to maintain a healthy respect for each other. Though earlier in the year a young male cat from down the road seemed to have been accepted as an honorary cub and for a couple of weeks was out every night joining in their games!

I don't know why a fox would bother a cat when pigeons and squirrels are plentiful and have shorter claws.

It means the ownership is easily proven.
No it doesn’t. It means the ownership at the stage the dog was chipped is established. You think the sort of people who keep attack dogs will bother to update the register? I don’t recall that ever being a problem, anyway; for the occasions I’ve seen reported, the incident took place on the owner’s premises. Or do you get marauding packs of semi-feral hounds round your way, perhaps?

And how often is ‘often’? On the Arthur thread, somebody quoted a stat that a child is killed by abusive parents every two weeks. Are we talking more frequently, or less frequently than that? Should parents be chipped, perhaps?

No it doesn’t. It means the ownership at the stage the dog was chipped is established. You think the sort of people who keep attack dogs will bother to update the register? I don’t recall that ever being a problem, anyway; for the occasions I’ve seen reported, the incident took place on the owner’s premises. Or do you get marauding packs of semi-feral hounds round your way, perhaps?

And how often is ‘often’? On the Arthur thread, somebody quoted a stat that a child is killed by abusive parents every two weeks. Are we talking more frequently, or less frequently than that? Should parents be chipped, perhaps?
Ok, well take it up with the government, they think so too, and they're supposedly in charge.

'Not only will this mean the UK’s 8.5 million dogs can be returned to their owners more quickly if they wander too far from home, but it will also make it easier to track down the owners of dogs that carry out attacks on people.'

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/compulsory-dog-microchipping-comes-into-effect

I’ve just looked it up, dogs killed 22 people in 7 years (ONS) (it doesn’t say how many of those were outside the owner’s house, but all the news reports I’ve seen relate to kids being mauled in their own, or a friend’s house). Cats wander from home far more than dogs do. As ever, I think the government’s stated argument was a bit weak; that said I support the chipping of dogs, not least because dognapping is a thing. What I do find amusing is the fuss the cat people are making.

dognapping

so is catnapping.

When Ziggy and Marley arrived our vet warned us of a spate of (IIRC 6 or 7) catnappings in our area over a period of 2 years. The vet encouraged us to keep Ziggy and Marley (particularly Marley)as indoor cats, which we did.

We've had random people over the years knock on our door and offer to buy Marley, including one DPD driver, who was so persistent, I had to report him to his employer.

I should think far more people die every year from traffic accidents caused by dogs or cats running into a road

so is catnapping.

When Ziggy and Marley arrived our vet warned us of a spate of (IIRC 6 or 7) catnappings in our area over a period of 2 years. The vet encouraged us to keep Ziggy and Marley (particularly Marley)as indoor cats, which we did.

We've had random people over the years knock on our door and offer to buy Marley, including one DPD driver, who was so persistent, I had to report him to his employer.
Well quite. So why is chipping such a big deal for some? (I realise the OP was somewhat tongue in cheek).

I’ve just looked it up, dogs killed 22 people in 7 years (ONS) (it doesn’t say how many of those were outside the owner’s house, but all the news reports I’ve seen relate to kids being mauled in their own, or a friend’s house). Cats wander from home far more than dogs do. As ever, I think the government’s stated argument was a bit weak; that said I support the chipping of dogs, not least because dognapping is a thing. What I do find amusing is the fuss the cat people are making.
Cat owners are funny, since their furry friends have the 'right to roam' under British law. I don't think any other anmial has this right? So you can't even make the owner come and clean up their cat's shit from your property, video evidence or not, you have to clean it up yourself! The promising bit about this change is that maybe it will lead to cats no longer having the right to roam.....if so, it's going to get difficult for cat owners.

advertisement

Back