advertisement

Maggie! Maggie! Maggie!

Am interested in knowing how they would compare with ESL63s, would imagine they share similar traits?

I’d personally argue the 63 was a far more advanced speaker. It is a true time-aligned point source whereas the Maggies are a line source with all the problems that brings. Fabulous speakers for the money, but an ESL63 is a vastly more expensive and complex device.

PS Rob is obviously the one to ask here as he has both!

Both technologies, being cabinet-less, offer the same very distinct advantages - lack of cabinet colourations, driver matching issues, smoothness, massive soundstage etc. Those do come with compromises - size and location sensitivity.

I've had various Maggies (up to 3.5s) and ESLs but settled on ESL 2912 - stereo imaging is superlative to Maggies once you find the sweet spot.

I did really like the 'making of' video and the 'Good, bad and Ugly ' video, it certainly has piqued my interest.

Darren that's my biggest regreat on my 40 year audio journey that I only got some Mags last year.
Of all the shows I have been too over that time the best rooms always had Mags in them.
I suppose there aren't many dealers selling Mags in the UK so alot of people just don't get to hear them.

Scratch that itch to at least dem some..[/QUOTE]

I've never even heard a pair at a show, I'm pretty sure they had no representation in the UK when I was last at a show though I was aware of them by reading old Stereophile magazines, pretty much like alot of stuff I wish to hear a pair I'll most likely have to buy them first.

Listening to a 'hip hop classics' playlist on TIDAL right now.... At a volume that would cause quads to throw a fit..... The Maggies are backed by twin rels and it's amazing how the subs have turned them into excellent alrounders. All the best Magneplanar features and no downsides.

Last edited:
Hi Phil,
Did you get some LRS in the end and if you did are you enjoying them ?

I'm soon to be in full negotiation mode with my wife, so will update when this is completed...

(I know now that to accommodate them, they'll be stored in one place, then brought out when wanted to be used, there's no other way for me to do it (space wise).

I'm very keen to get some, so will negotiate hard :)

In the US, the LRS are available direct from Magnepan, which means no distributor/retailer markup and are shipped like a flat packed product. I would expect that there is more profit in these for Magnepan that in the units which the dealers reluctantly sell at the same price (which much longer lead times), hoping that their customers will buy other more profitable products from them.

Why build something that you don't make a profit on? I don't understand the philosophy in this business.. It's not like they sell lots of products to each customer (ie like a supermarket) so can afford to loose profit on one product line as they recoup it on others...

It's $650 in the US and everyone is saying it's a bargain, I simply feel they didn't research the SSRP well enough and priced it too low, and the company has been swamped with orders for them, so their other more expensive speakers aren't getting the factory production time they need to be seeing the company back into decent profit.

And also seeing the videos of the owners today, they look absolutely lovely, and he appears to be near to retirement, so didn't want to increase prices post release. I will be buying a pair of Maggies, which ones I'm not sure yet, but I've fallen for the company and the people involved big time and that's what spending your money is all about.

It's not really taking away from production time of the more profitable SKUs. They limit the time they set aside for LRS production batches, so that there will be time to fulfill orders for the "real" models. That's why there's a perpetual backlog for the LRS.

I still remember the time I heard a demo in Memphis in the 1970s, put on by Audio Research and Magnepan, running Tympani 1Ds with all ARC gear. Wendell Diller, Jim Winey and William Z. Johnson were all there meeting and greeting and taking questions from all the attendants, and all seemed very approachable.

It's not really taking away from production time of the more profitable SKUs. They limit the time they set aside for LRS production batches, so that there will be time to fulfill orders for the "real" models. That's why there's a perpetual backlog for the LRS.

I still remember the time I heard a demo in Memphis in the 1970s, put on by Audio Research and Magnepan, running Tympani 1Ds with all ARC gear. Wendell Diller, Jim Winey and William Z. Johnson were all there meeting and greeting and taking questions from all the attendants, and all seemed very approachable.

The Minnesota connection! Plymouth meets White Bear Lake. Been a good combo for many years. :)

Can anyone tell me if the LRS and the .7 are bi-ampable?
I've been unable to find a definitive answer about this yet.

No, they are not, I own the .7 at the moment and have various model for the last 30 yrs.. That said, you can make modification at the terminal to make that happen, but you void the warranty!
Tom

advertisement

Back