advertisement

Maggie! Maggie! Maggie!

Not officially but there is a high frequency jumper bar on the back and you could remove that and patch into the tweeter feed.
Wouldn't advise doing so. They are an almost flat 3.3 Ohm load using a very simple crossover. Better off with one high current and powerful amp IMO.

Thanks, I have a fairly pokey 4 channel amp. I'm thinking about a pair of LRS's and while 2 of the channels could comfortably drive them... it seems a shame to leave the other 2 redundant if they could be used.

I still don't know how these things sell for $700 in the US given they are produced locally and rely on such a large amount of manual labour.

Par for the course unfortunately for this type of design. At least they are repairable and you can buy a DIY kit should you feel so inclined. Lot's of repair videos out there.
Then again, plenty of old cone drivers with degraded surrounds, peeling damping and failing adhesives.

I had the MMGs a few years ago, I'd imagine that the entry speakers (MMG and now LRS) are almost loss leaders, using trickle down tech/development from the more expensive models to get people into the brand. I know Magnepan used to offer the MMG as a 30-day trial/return direct from the factory, rather than going through dealers to keep the margin down.

Last edited:
I still don't know how these things sell for $700 in the US given they are produced locally and rely on such a large amount of manual labour.

Cheap labour? Cheap materials costs? Or maybe there's a smaller percentage of profit in the entry level model which they can make up for with the more expensive models? They wouldn't have been in business for so long if they were not making money.

Cheap labour? Cheap materials costs? Or maybe there's a smaller percentage of profit in the entry level model which they can make up for with the more expensive models? They wouldn't have been in business for so long if they were not making money.

More likely a loss leader, although compared to most US audiophile kit even the larger models look great value.

Come on Robert you need to get those subs plugged back in!!.....

Been reading about Maggies today and figuring out the range as these are almost certainly going to be tried at some point now!

I came across the 30.7 quad tower system which is obviously impressive, but totally impossible to accommodate and remain married, then saw info on the MINI 30.7 which was at prototype stage a couple of years back, conversation then stops on these at the beginning of the pandemic and I can't glean any further info whether they are or are not going to make it into production..? Is anyone privy to any further information?

They sound fabulous from what I'm reading - 7 foot high panels for treble and mid (As per the 30.7 reference speakers) then dipole open baffle subs, one per side with 8 x 6.5" drivers per side :D

Now your talking!

A surprising amount of obviously very skilled labour there given the purchase price. Vastly more than the majority of speakers which are likely little more than screwing robot-made drivers and bath-soldered crossovers into robot-made MDF cabinets and sticking the result in a shipping box, probably all done in China with low-wage workers.

Some lovely bare bones engineering going on there, no dressing it up in pointless frippary and looks like a real family. Lovely.

Why build something that you don't make a profit on? I don't understand the philosophy in this business.. It's not like they sell lots of products to each customer (ie like a supermarket) so can afford to loose profit on one product line as they recoup it on others...

It's $650 in the US and everyone is saying it's a bargain, I simply feel they didn't research the SSRP well enough and priced it too low, and the company has been swamped with orders for them, so their other more expensive speakers aren't getting the factory production time they need to be seeing the company back into decent profit.

And also seeing the videos of the owners today, they look absolutely lovely, and he appears to be near to retirement, so didn't want to increase prices post release. I will be buying a pair of Maggies, which ones I'm not sure yet, but I've fallen for the company and the people involved big time and that's what spending your money is all about.

Why build something that you don't make a profit on? I don't understand the philosophy in this business.. It's not like they sell lots of products to each customer (ie like a supermarket) so can afford to loose profit on one product line as they recoup it on others...

It's $650 in the US and everyone is saying it's a bargain, I simply feel they didn't research the SSRP well enough and priced it too low, and the company has been swamped with orders for them, so their other more expensive speakers aren't getting the factory production time they need to be seeing the company back into decent profit.

And also seeing the videos of the owners today, they look absolutely lovely, and he appears to be near to retirement, so didn't want to increase prices post release. I will be buying a pair of Maggies, which ones I'm not sure yet, but I've fallen for the company and the people involved big time and that's what spending your money is all about.

Maybe to keep his staff members busy ? Maybe if people get into the Maggie sound they will be a return customer and go for a bigger model? Maybe the company makes enough from the bigger models and the owner decided to give something back ?
Maybe just as you suggest someone made a mistake in their maths?

I did really like the 'making of' video and the 'Good, bad and Ugly ' video, it certainly has piqued my interest.

Last edited:
And maybe building speakers in a city where the median annual salary is $23k is not that expensive. They've been and stayed in the business for several decades so I doubt that the pricing was set in error.

Maybe to keep his staff members busy ? Maybe if people get into the Maggie sound they will be a return customer and go for a bigger model? Maybe the company makes enough from the bigger models and the owner decided to give something back ?
Maybe just a you suggest someone made a mistake in their maths?

I did really like the 'making of' video and the 'Good, bad and Ugly ' video, it certainly has piqued my interest.
You know you want to.

I did really like the 'making of' video and the 'Good, bad and Ugly ' video, it certainly has piqued my interest.[/QUOTE]

Darren that's my biggest regreat on my 40 year audio journey that I only got some Mags last year.
Of all the shows I have been too over that time the best rooms always had Mags in them.
I suppose there aren't many dealers selling Mags in the UK so alot of people just don't get to hear them.

Scratch that itch to at least dem some..

Some very compelling posts stacking up here. Am interested in knowing how they would compare with ESL63s, would imagine they share similar traits?

advertisement

Back