advertisement

Maggie! Maggie! Maggie!

@Robert would love to hear any conclusion you have on these please.

Just considering my next move speaker wise and these are on my radar, it feels like they’d be a very cost effective upgrade, currently running small Spendor’s.

Thank you.

They are marvellous speakers.They present a wonderful soundstage, a transparency that is hard to emulate in box speakers and speed and immediacy, all qualities that keep me engaged.They don’t have extended bass but what there is is surprising, taught and articulate. They need a lot of current to thrive(I use a Yamaha 803D which delivers c.160 watts into 4 ohms) but the LRSs will accept much more than this.)
In my hifi buying history they are the most exciting and surprising purchase I have made, real bargains.

Last edited:
They are marvellous speakers.They present a wonderful soundstage, a transparency that is hard to emulate in box speakers and speed and immediacy, all qualities that keep me engaged.They don’t have extended bass but what there is is surprising, taught and articulate. They need a lot of current to thrive(I use a Yamaha 803D which delivers c.160 watts into 4 ohms) but the LRSs will accept much more than this.)
I my hifi history they are the most exciting and surprising purchase I have made, real bargains.
Many thanks Del’

Totally agree with what Del says about the LRS.

I got some 1.7 i's which sit in the middle of the Maggie range about 4 months ago and their the best most musical sounding speakers I have ever had.

I know its a cliche saying this but you forget the hifi and just enjoy the performance.The detail they dig out is astonishing.I hear things in the mix that my previous box speakers just blurred.
Their just so natural sounding and their production of timbre on instruments is incredible.Piano - drum kit - voices.Any genre of music.Classical - Reggae - Rock - Electronic they get the best out.
The only thing they don't do is that deep visceral bass where you can feel it in your chest like with box speakers.But the bass they do do,before they roll off has so much texture detail in it.

You should definitely get to hear some LRS could be the best - most enjoyable speaker in your system and for their price an absolute bargain.

Totally agree with what Del says about the LRS.

I got some 1.7 i's which sit in the middle of the Maggie range about 4 months ago and their the best most musical sounding speakers I have ever had.

I know its a cliche saying this but you forget the hifi and just enjoy the performance.The detail they dig out is astonishing.I hear things in the mix that my previous box speakers just blurred.
Their just so natural sounding and their production of timbre on instruments is incredible.Piano - drum kit - voices.Any genre of music.Classical - Reggae - Rock - Electronic they get the best out.
The only thing they don't do is that deep visceral bass where you can feel it in your chest like with box speakers.But the bass they do do,before they roll off has so much texture detail in it.

You should definitely get to hear some LRS could be the best - most enjoyable speaker in your system and for their price an absolute bargain.

Really good of you to offer up your opinion, sounds like they’ve got it spot on for you. I don’t think the bass ‘issue’ worries me, I don’t listen at high volume and have a nice sub if need be.

I think I’ve spent my end of year bonus already :)

Really good of you to offer up your opinion, sounds like they’ve got it spot on for you. I don’t think the bass ‘issue’ worries me, I don’t listen at high volume and have a nice sub if need be.

I think I’ve spent my end of year bonus already :)

Philofcas

That's another thing which is great about Mags at low levels their incredible easy to listen to with whats going on as their clarity is astonishing.Some speakers don't really come alive unless you turn them up
They can play loud but theirs a sweet spot on volume where they just sound right.

If your in the SE - London area your more than welcome to have a listen to mine.I live in Brighton.Just a thought really.

I got mine from The Hi Fi Lounge in Bedfordshire BTW. Superb service and a joy to deal with.Paul the owner warned me that once you experience Maggies theres no going back to box speakers !...he wasn't wrong...
He said their one of his favorite speakers brands and they sell Wilson @ Sonas Faber.

Philofcas

That's another thing which is great about Mags at low levels their incredible easy to listen to with whats going on as their clarity is astonishing.Some speakers don't really come alive unless you turn them up
They can play loud but theirs a sweet spot on volume where they just sound right.

If your in the SE - London area your more than welcome to have a listen to mine.I live in Brighton.Just a thought really.

I got mine from The Hi Fi Lounge in Bedfordshire BTW. Superb service and a joy to deal with.Paul the owner warned me that once you experience Maggies theirs no going back to box speakers !...he wasn't wrong...
He said their one of his favorite speakers brands and they sell Wilson @ Sonas Faber.

Paul was the first person that I approached but he only had .7s. He referred me to Hifi Sound in Stockton and I was lucky as they had a delivery the following week. They gave me a generous discount for my previous speakers. Great service from both dealers.

Philofcas

I got mine from The Hi Fi Lounge in Bedfordshire BTW. Superb service and a joy to deal with.Paul the owner warned me that once you experience Maggies theirs no going back to box speakers !...he wasn't wrong...

Thanks for the kind offer, but I’m the other end of the country, not too far from Leeds.

From all you’ve said, they sound ideal, though obviously you’re talking about a level (or so) up. One review I’d read, said that (the LRS) dealt really well with what was seen as a ‘poor recording’, saying that they brought out the best of it.

I’ll try and get some on home demo and take it from there.

Thanks again.

Champagne was my first thought on that glorious day but alas I was a bit skint.... so I went out and celebrated with a few real ales:)
I was sitting in my office when the news of her demise came through. The young ‘uns sitting outside wondered what the hell I was doing cheering and dancing around like I’d just won the lottery. I’m not sure they were any the wiser when I explained.

Have fun with the new kit!

(I strongly suspect that most of the people commenting on Maggie do not have full knowledge or memory of the '70s. It was a disastrous decade for the UK, by the final year of which almost everyone was on strike, including amongst many others refuse collectors - Leicester Square in London was a rat infested rubbish tip. We've had ups and downs since, but it has never been as bad as the '70s, with its constant shortages, power cuts, rapid inflation and general sense of worthlessness. Would people really want to go back to the hopeless leaders we had then - Harold Wilson, Ted Heath and the misogynist James Callaghan; I very much doubt it.)
I would.

"Thatcher did nothing to address societal problems" - I think that is true, or at least she didn't do enough. But it is also true that she was hugely popular, and we needed her. Not everything she did was good or right - but she helped the UK recreate some self-respect.
In the South East perhaps. Not anywhere north of Nottingham I suspect.

Having owned 2 pair of maggies in the past that suffered from de lamination I don't really see anything in that video to reassure me that this wont be a problem in the future. The adhesives look very similar. Is health and safety not a thing in the US workplace?

I love the sound of them but owning a 2nd hand pair is a gamble.

Rgds
Stuart

Can anyone tell me if the LRS and the .7 are bi-ampable?
I've been unable to find a definitive answer about this yet.

Thanks

Andy

I still don't know how these things sell for $700 in the US given they are produced locally and rely on such a large amount of manual labour.

Having owned 2 pair of maggies in the past that suffered from de lamination I don't really see anything in that video to reassure me that this wont be a problem in the future. The adhesives look very similar. Is health and safety not a thing in the US workplace?

Par for the course unfortunately for this type of design. At least they are repairable and you can buy a DIY kit should you feel so inclined. Lot's of repair videos out there.
Then again, plenty of old cone drivers with degraded surrounds, peeling damping and failing adhesives.

Can anyone tell me if the LRS and the .7 are bi-ampable?
I've been unable to find a definitive answer about this yet.

Thanks

Andy

Not officially but there is a high frequency jumper bar on the back and you could remove that and patch into the tweeter feed.
Wouldn't advise doing so. They are an almost flat 3.3 Ohm load using a very simple crossover. Better off with one high current and powerful amp IMO.

advertisement

Back