advertisement

Low Cost Flights - are they dangerous?

Here’s a pic of a serving British Prime Minister on a low cost flight (Easyjet) enjoying an in flight snack,

k9b7s5.jpg

Perfectly safe.

when I was working down south around 2001 - I was on a plane from heathrow to newcastle (Friday night @ ~6pm) and it was slightly delayed (we were sat on the plane at the time) - and guess who walses on - Peter Mandelson and an aide... it was the time around his scandal and I proudly held up a broadsheet I was reading and he was on the front cover...his aide wasn't happy when he saw it haha

From elsewhere, so I am not claiming originality:

Me to Ryanair cabin attendant on decompressed flight FR7312 from Dublin

"THERE'S NO OXYGEN IN THE OXYGEN MASK!!!!"

Cabin Attendant: "it's coin operated"
Funny but not true, most of the gags levelled are Ryanair are untrue... one of the most common ones is “still smoother than a Ryanair Landing” in response to any aviation accident. Thing is, as is well covered in this thread, they are one of the largest and safest airlines in the world, their fleet is one of the newest and their crew are of a high standard.

If you want luxury, book with BA, pay 5x the price and have less choice of flights. On most short BA flights, you’ll be flying on an A320 with similar legroom to Ryanair’s 737s, the difference will be the inflight food, a screen in the headrest and the name on the fuselage.

Check out Mentor Pilot on YouTube, he never says what airline he works for out of respect for the airline’s wishes... but I’m 99.9% certain it’s Ryanair, there’s plenty of clues if you look for them (including a video he made onboard a Ryanair training airframe (the one that suffered a bird strike in Italy, their only major incident) and I think I’ve flown with him. He’s a great guy, very professional, very knowledgeable and very interesting.

no longer what I would consider luxury I'm afraid - their J-Class can't compete with most other airlines. Club Europe is ok, and you do get a larger pitch in steerage than RA IME
Well this is true I suppose, so you're paying several times the price for no real benefit.

Do RyanAir still land at airports miles away from where you thought you were going?
I've never known them do this, whenever I've booked to fly to Alicante, Murcia and Dublin, that's where it's landed, and ahead of schedule too, I fly about six return trips a year, about half of them with Ryanair. The only real risk you take with Ryanair is having your flight cancelled if the French ATC decide to take a last minute holiday, fortunately I've never been caught out. This is where Jet2 have the upper hand, you generally pay a bit more but when the French go on strike, they fly around it, their margins aren't so tight so they can afford to.

If you want luxury, book with BA, pay 5x the price and have less choice of flights.

The luxury aspect depends on class of travel, as you and others indicate. BA first or club world is another universe compared to RA. Economy is, and has never been, anything to write home about.
However, I challenge the choice of flights comment. I fly London to Zurich and back once or twice a month. No RA options, multiple BA options per day, from Heathrow and City; add in Swiss and you’re easily lost for choice. There’s a daily flight from Luton, but using that airport is just a nightmare. BA or Swiss every time for that route. The same applies to many other places on short and long haul destinations.
I think that, at the end of the day, it’s all about the factors that impact your decision. If it’s cost alone, then chances are an LCC will work on many occasions, but not all. Cost, tied to schedule, on some routes, will rule them out. The need for flexibility, resilience in the face of [most] unexpected problems: chances are an LCC won’t do it for you. And so on.

Do RyanAir still land at airports miles away from where you thought you were going?

I think the last time I flew with them. I was dumped at the wrong end Poland. Endured a very long coach journey, on mostly bad roads and arrived at the proper airport just in time(after an argument at the closed gate) to catch the return flight. Worst day of 'business' i have ever had.

I've never known them do this, whenever I've booked to fly to Alicante, Murcia and Dublin, that's where it's landed, and ahead of schedule too, I fly about six return trips a year, about half of them with Ryanair. The only real risk you take with Ryanair is having your flight cancelled if the French ATC decide to take a last minute holiday, fortunately I've never been caught out. This is where Jet2 have the upper hand, you generally pay a bit more but when the French go on strike, they fly around it, their margins aren't so tight so they can afford to.

I think it varies alot by destination. From memory, RA flights to BCN are a long way from the, much further than El Prat

I think when we went to Berlin, again RA was at some distant airport as opposed go BA that landed at a more convenient airport

advertisement

Back